super grav gun

gabriel

Reaction score
i havn't seen any posts about this yet so here it is. in aftermath will you be able to use the super charged grav gun right from the start? i was thinking about this and how they will probably let you use it for a little bit but then take it away from you somehow.
so what do you people think? will they let you use it through the whole game? take it away from you somehow? or will you just never get to really use it much at all?

From the screens released, it looks to me like you'll only be using it within the Citadel and then once making it outside it will lose its ability to interfere with organic materials due to the citadel powering down.

Also, about the HEV:
I wonder if the HEV suit can still hold 200 AP

Thought it could only do that from specific Citadel terminals?

It seems likely that the Super Gravity gun will not retain it's 'super' credentials...maybe it'll still be able to pick up heavier objects though. :D Like cars!

I bet it'll probably short out after you have to save a bus full of children from falling off a cliff.

i dont see how it could magically lose power after leaving the citadel. maybe gordon will just trip and drop it down a hole on accident.
...or the bus full of children. that works.

The reason it remains like that, is due to the Citadels power. If the citadel loses its power, the grav gun will return to its normal state.

I was under the impression that the weapon removal field supercharged it. Maybe it will go critical.

Samon said:
The reason it remains like that, is due to the Citadels power. If the citadel loses its power, the grav gun will return to its normal state.
how does is the grav gun remotley powered by the citadel? that doesnt make any sense.

You know Gordan should have it since he got it at the end of HL2.. But then again sequels or "threquels in this case" do that alot...

If you have a look at one of the files that does subtitles, you can see a line from Alyx that was apparently cut, something along the lines of "It looks like the gravity gun is drawing power from the Citadel".

So when you move a long way from the Citadel, or the Citadel becomes unable to supply power, the grav gun goes back to normal.

One of the pics in a PC Gamer article looks suspiciously like a physgun beam. Could it be we get that instead (since it was removed after the beta, but then modded back in by a few different mods)?

Plus there was something in the article that said they were looking at different ways objects could interact, so it might be that we get.

Actually looking at the pic, looks like it was inside the citadel too.

gabriel said:
how does is the grav gun remotley powered by the citadel? that doesnt make any sense.

Of course it does...within the Citadel it is obviously drawing power from Combine generators. In a cut line, Alyx said...."Looks like the gravity gun is drawing power from the Citadel."

Samon said:
Of course it does...within the Citadel it is obviously drawing power from Combine generators. In a cut line, Alyx said...."Looks like the gravity gun is drawing power from the Citadel."
Well wouldn't you need to be manually drawing energy from it to work? The generators go out eventually just by filling your suit(right)? and it looks like that super grav gun would need a lot more energy to function than the H.E.V. suit would. And if you didn't need to manually recharge it, wouldn't the generators still short out because of power drainage? Or am I wrong(seriously)? Wouldn't you also die if the grav gun sucked its power out of the generators remotely? That's a lot of waves coming towards the gun.. and you're right next to it.

Myxamatosis said:
Well wouldn't you need to be manually drawing energy from it to work? The generators go out eventually just by filling your suit(right)? and it looks like that super grav gun would need a lot more energy to function than the H.E.V. suit would. And if you didn't need to manually recharge it, wouldn't the generators still short out because of power drainage? Or am I wrong(seriously)? Wouldn't you also die if the grav gun sucked its power out of the generators remotely? That's a lot of waves coming towards the gun.. and you're right next to it.

I just imagine with so much power in the Citadel, the Grav gun would simply pick up on it, even if its only slight.

Have you folks given thought to weapon kickback?

Similar to a bullet blowing the gun in your hand, couldn't the super grav gun recoil, so to speak? Perhaps Gordie would lose a hand or a finger. Like Brucey from Evil Dead 2.

And then have a chainsaw attached to his arm.

I sure am loopy, ain't I?

AIDisabled said:
Perhaps Gordie would lose a hand or a finger.
lol.. except I think he would lose a little more than that if it were the super grav gun. He would probably just end up like the Super Soldiers do when you hit them with the blast.. dead and convulsing.

what does the grav gun having recoil have anything to do with anything that we're talking about?

you did however remind me about the evil dead series which i recently watched. it was hilarious! especially #II.

but anyways..

And what the hell did your bump have to do with ANYTHING? Great job...

We weren't talking about anything, just leave the thread to die.

Myxomatosis said:
And what the hell did your bump have to do with ANYTHING? Great job...

We weren't talking about anything, just leave the thread to die.
Two days of inactivity does not count as a dead thread.

AJ Rimmer said:
Two days of inactivity does not count as a dead thread.
It was 3 days, and his post was completely irrelevant to the 3 day old conversation. Not to mention he is being a complete hypocrite for criticizing other people for spam... and then committing the act himself..

"citadel.al_whahappen" "<clr:255,212,255>Gordon. What happened to the gravity gun? It must be drawing power from the Citadel. "

Just to back up my earlier otherwise unsubstantiated claim.

Hey, this one is interesting:

"citadel.br_mock02" "<clr:188,188,188><I>I'm relying on you to fail again, Dr. Freeman. Just as I relied on you at Black Mesa. "

Epsi said:
"citadel.al_whahappen" "<clr:255,212,255>Gordon. What happened to the gravity gun? It must be drawing power from the Citadel. "

Just to back up my earlier otherwise unsubstantiated claim.

Hey, this one is interesting:

"citadel.br_mock02" "<clr:188,188,188><I>I'm relying on you to fail again, Dr. Freeman. Just as I relied on you at Black Mesa. "

It was going to be used during Breens ascent, should have been put in.

Myxomatosis said:
It was 3 days, and his post was completely irrelevant to the 3 day old conversation. Not to mention he is being a complete hypocrite for criticizing other people for spam... and then committing the act himself..
wow dude. calm down.

The sooner that the super gravity gun is disposed of, the better.

Samon said:
It was going to be used during Breens ascent, should have been put in.

Maybe it'll point to much towards Breen actually planning the Portal Storms.

Myxomatosis said:

'Zero point energy' manipulator, Read about ZPE, it draws its endless supply of energy from the local fabric of space, the super grav gun is just drawing more energy than usual for whatever reason, alot like when a normal magnet is turned into a superconductor, its magnetism increases.

Unlikely.

You will most probably start off with nothing (again) and have to work your way up. The super grav gun will probably be obtainable some time later in the game, but I would be surprised if your enemies developed defenses against it.

Absinthe said:
Unlikely.

You will most probably start off with nothing (again) and have to work your way up. The super grav gun will probably be obtainable some time later in the game, but I would be surprised if your enemies developed defenses against it.

There is a screen of Gordon holding the grav gun in the Citadel which is actually the beginning of the game.

Samon said:
There is a screen of Gordon holding the grav gun in the Citadel which is actually the beginning of the game.
That screen is from Half-Life 2. I was kind of confused at first, so replayed that particular chapter and yes, there's an exact elevator. I can even give you my screen.

iMMuNiTy said:
That screen is from Half-Life 2. I was kind of confused at first, so replayed that particular chapter and yes, there's an exact elevator. I can even give you my screen.

Nope, that screen is from Aftermath. As you can see, explosions are occuring around the Citadel, due to the fact it is going into meltdown. You won't find those explosions occuring in the hl2 elevator ride. Valve gave that screenshot to gamespot for their Aftermath preview.

The Citadel is a very samey looking place, and that screen is from Aftermath.

Samon said:
Nope, that screen is from Aftermath. As you can see, explosions are occuring around the Citadel, due to the fact it is going into meltdown. You won't find those explosions occuring in the hl2 elevator ride. Valve gave that screenshot for their Aftermath preview.

The Citadel is a very samey looking place, and that screen is from Aftermath.
In that screenshot there aren't any explosions! Just you going up an elevator. Really, you have to go down and out of the Citadel in the Aftermath, not up. There is an EXACT looking scene in Half-Life 2. Coinsidence? I doubt it. Seriously.

iMMuNiTy said:
In that screenshot there aren't any explosions! Just you going up an elevator. Really, you have to go down and out of the Citadel in the Aftermath, not up. There is an EXACT looking scene in Half-Life 2. Coinsidence? I doubt it. Seriously.

Who is to the elevator is not going down? It came down before it went up.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2aftermath/screens.html?page=5

Debris collapsing - not in HL2. And is that an elevator shaft? Maybe, but it is most likley going down. It could be any shaft, you didn't see all of the Citadel. Valve don't give screenshots to gamespot, for a Aftermath article, that are HL2 screenshots :|

Valve released this on a steam update, as an Aftermath sneak preview: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2aftermath/screens.html?page=7

We saw that in HL2? Did we not? Yes, but they still released it in a screenshot because it shows the new soldier model. Your leaving the Citadel, and it is possible your leaving the same way you came, in some areas.

iMMuNiTy said:
You'll remember me when playing Aftermath!.. :imu:

I have nothing else to say but the fact that VALVe hasn't repeated a scene yet, and I doubt they will. Even if you only use an elevator shaft which you used to go up previously. There are hundreds of options to go down. Including jumping down. :p

No, no I won't remember you, because that scene is from Aftermath. :p

EDIT: Haha, told ya. Why do you bother to argue with me :LOL:

There, I edited mine. :p

Super grav gun, is most certainly at the start of HL2 from the looks of things :)

Some day huh, keep dreaming. :p

Back