SWAT 4 Open Beta

It's good, but the physics are barely used, atleast in the beta, no real effect at all on gameplay, all physics items are is things like cans etc, btw, according to the beta agreement you can post screens from the beta on public sites, so I will be posting a nice pic I took from my server(GargasServer if any of the other people in the beta hang here), I'm the VIP, and it looks like if the Suspects were a firing squad.

Is this ever going to actually be a public beta, rather than a profit-grubbing subscriber-only beta?

I'm pretty sure they'll release this as a public demo in a couple of weeks or months, the beta test is basically like an ordinary demo, it even says "Multiplayer Demo" instead of Beta and the license agreements is not closed in any way suggesting this'll be going public very soon :) The only thing that sucks is that there's only ONE map and ONE gamemode, also no vote kick ability, so when I kick I either have to do it on my own will or ask for the other players oppinion(My server is Full Friendly Fire and we don't like TKs or other game ruining shiet like spawncamping etc).

Oh Man I Want To Play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've seen better weapons models from people here, and far better skins too

Icarusintel said:
i've seen better weapons models from people here, and far better skins too
Agreed, the M4 looks HORRIBLE!

stigmata said:
Is this ever going to actually be a public beta, rather than a profit-grubbing subscriber-only beta?
Technically it is, its just that Fileplanet seems to have misinterpreted the developers. They say it would be freely downloadable of fileplanet.

dawdler said:
Technically it is, its just that Fileplanet seems to have misinterpreted the developers. They say it would be freely downloadable of fileplanet.
Nah, I'm pretty sure it is that FilePlanet give THEM cash so they can make it FP exclusive, because from my talk with other beta player in-game, ALOT subscribed to FP only to get to try it, and each subscriber brings in from 6 to 12 dollars each month depending on subscription.

looks quite nice might check it out,waiting for mgs3 on the 25th of feb 1st though

I read somewhere that the actual open beta for non-subscribers starts on the 21st of this month at fileplanet, but they only have 25k keys to give out

kungfucheez said:
I read somewhere that the actual open beta for non-subscribers starts on the 21st of this month at fileplanet, but they only have 25k keys to give out
Gah, these Fileplanet keys are such bullshit. I wish these publishing companies would just release their public betas to the GENERAL public, not the I-find-out-first or I-pay-money-for-betas kind of public.

I got the beta because im a fileplanet subscriber but I have only played for 20 minutes or so because im extremely busy with exams soon. I found that it was a little to slow for my liking but if I got into it more I might enjoy it. 20 minutes isnt enough to judge a game. I was also disapointed when some retard started complaining I had wall hacks. Which of coarse is bullshit because I downloaded the beta a couple hours after it was posted on fileplanet, and second I hate cheaters..

There's a way to "wallhack" in the beta, if the server has "enemy names visible" turned on, no matter what oyu look through, be it walls, cover, etc a name'll come up for the guy, thus, you can scan through doors and walls and find out an enemy's there, sadly morons call that wallhack, sure it can be used like it butbut.

stigmata said:
Gah, these Fileplanet keys are such bullshit. I wish these publishing companies would just release their public betas to the GENERAL public, not the I-find-out-first or I-pay-money-for-betas kind of public.
Then no one would have need to buy the game when the retail is released.

Gargantou said:
There's a way to "wallhack" in the beta, if the server has "enemy names visible" turned on, no matter what oyu look through, be it walls, cover, etc a name'll come up for the guy, thus, you can scan through doors and walls and find out an enemy's there, sadly morons call that wallhack, sure it can be used like it butbut.

I dont remember enemy names so I guess it must have been turned off.

But I guess its not really a cheat because the enemy has the exact same advantage to you.

One sad thing was there was a bug or something in the game so I couldnt take out my primary weapon and I had been shooting all my pistol rounds at nothing and I had no ammo left when I found a enemy staring at nothing with his back turned to me. I just stood behind him for about 30 seconds befor he realized I was there.

This game has very good gameplay but it really needs some work (like voice chat, voice commands, MAKE THE SPEED FASTER,ect)

yes I found it extremely slow. Rainbow 6 is a great game for online multiplayer in a tactical shooter. I hope this game can compete once they fix up some of the problems.

The speed is indeed extremely slow, even compared to SWAT 3 which's my favourite tactical FPS, it feels like you weigh 200 kilos, a balance issue I guess, the thing is, I feel they're doing a BAD job balancing up "realism" with gameplay, changing things in gameplay such as speed is annoying because of realism and makes the gameplay a bit more boring, they should add some sort of sprinting option atleast, the "running" feels too slow too.

Gargantou said:
The speed is indeed extremely slow, even compared to SWAT 3 which's my favourite tactical FPS, it feels like you weigh 200 kilos, a balance issue I guess, the thing is, I feel they're doing a BAD job balancing up "realism" with gameplay, changing things in gameplay such as speed is annoying because of realism and makes the gameplay a bit more boring, they should add some sort of sprinting option atleast, the "running" feels too slow too.
Cant you do like Swat 3, go slow or dynamic? Neither was very fast, but at least dynamic was alot faster than slow.

But then again, I'd probably think its too slow no matter what speed it is. I've played JO the last 6 months, ie people running at 22mph.

This game is KICK ASS, I've been playing tons, very good at it too. I love this style of slow team based game. And unlike deathmatchs like counter strike, teams do matter.

Me and a close friend of mine, on a lan, just me and him, I was the vip, got past a sus team of 6, as we where team talking, and they where just deathmatch styling it. Such a cool game.

Long live door wedges.

lol Ritz, I own at it too :) atleast as VIP I like never get arrested, but it's a pain kicking all the CS players that join and think you can go around killing ANYTHING that moves and the suspect CS players that doesn't read the rules and think they have to immediately kill the VIP.*Sigh*
Ritz, if you ever see my server online please do visit.:) GargasServer is the name ussually, full FF tho.

RakuraiTenjin said:
Then no one would have need to buy the game when the retail is released.
Well if it's a beta of the entire game, then a limited beta is a respectable decision. But we've already determined that this beta in particular consists of multiplayer-only, one map, and one gametype. Didn't we used to call these sort of things "demos"?

Fileplanet has ruined the classic beta. Now betas are just unfinished games you buy before the real game comes out. lame.

I had forgotten this was coming. SWAT 3 is the best tactical shooter to date, so this should be awesome.

Looks just like Rainbox Six 3, especially the hand models. I don't know, I can't really get into SWAT games or games where you are some kind of rare, elite warrior who goes in to a dire situation and rescues hostages and defuses bombs. I guess it's because there's nothing rewarding about it in the end. It seems like with Rainbow Six, you just kill everything and you're done. There's never any well done scripts or surprises that make you go "Wow."

I usually end up having no incentive to play games like that. I like to think of it as you being placed in an MP style map full of bots and told to kill everything that moves. Other games might seem that way as well, but they have other elements to them that mix it up a bit...like different enemies, music and vehicles.

It looks really good graphic-wise though...except for the Gamespot screenshots which are always taken on the lowest settings possible. I've never played a SWAT game in this specific series though, so I don't know the pacing and stuff. I'd like to try it, but Fileplanet is gay and won't let me.

lol, the beta looks worse than the GameSpot screenshots...;( but you can't really change any settings except res, and most are stuck at medium so...:)

It just opened up to the public, bitches, go get your key now, if you care, now all i gotta do is wait for the damn server line to get moving, damn free servers and their lines

Gargantou said:
lol Ritz, I own at it too :) atleast as VIP I like never get arrested, but it's a pain kicking all the CS players that join and think you can go around killing ANYTHING that moves and the suspect CS players that doesn't read the rules and think they have to immediately kill the VIP.*Sigh*
Ritz, if you ever see my server online please do visit.:) GargasServer is the name ussually, full FF tho.

Never played the last games, when I started playing I was one of those people who thought it would be a CS clone, I was so wrong. Its so damn cool.

Full FF is good, apart from when you get idiots on your team, its ok if you kill the vip without thinking, or a teammate, but when someone is just team killling.. ugh..

Ritz, join my server when it's online, "GargasServer", I'm a good admin, kick TKers, altho sometimes I'm a bit rough, I get so tired of the n00b CS players ignoring my repeated warnings.:\

Installing. I hope this is good. Never really played the ealier games much, could harldly run Swat 3 when it came out.

How do you get a key? Im a noob :(

EDIT:: Gawd I'm a tard. Fileplannet kept loggin me out and I hadn't realised. My bad

Have fun trying to connect to a non-laggy server. And remember to click the connect button to the bottom-right of the browser, not the one at the bottom...

It's an OK game. You can tell it was built from Unreal, it just feels weird for some reason. I'll need to try a non-laggy server when they release a proper MP demo in the future...

I like the coughing effect when you get hit by a smoke bomb. There aren't any voice commands I could see. It's quite annoying that when you go upstairs/downstairs you slow down a bit.

I don't like it.

Number one: You move way to slow, even when you run it feels like you have rocks straped to your legs

Number 2: Alot of lag

Number 3: The players are ****ING MORONS. Christ! i just came out of a game where every round the VIP was killed by either team. Also there were these two dickwads on the swat team who wouldnt shut the hell up. They kept tking eachother and then bitching about it. I told them to shut the **** up and they did...for a few minutes.

I hope the multiplayer's not indicative of the singleplayer and that the graphics options, when they open up on the full game make it look a lot better, the weapons models really bug me, they're some of the shittiest skins i've ever seen, especially the M4, the character models look low-poly, and the people playing are retarded for the most part, it has a lot of potential though, and so long as the singleplayer builds on SWAT 3 it'll be aces, no matter whether the graphics are good or not

I managed to play on a lag-free server with mostly decent people last night. It's actually a lot of fun when everyone plays properly, and the tactical gameplay style works very well.

I've been playing this for the past few days, and I really like it. Obviously it gets annoying when people keep killing the VIP before the time.

It still has some problems though. You can't switch weapons while you're coughing/blinded even if the transparency is low enough that you can see where you're going.

You can't change weapons fast enough, this makes it MURDER when you use the "gas-ball shooter thingy®". Shooting someone with it and making them cough, then trying to switch to your handgun to finish them is beyond annoying, and gets you killed a lot of the time.

It takes a while for a weapon to become "active" when you pull it out, like when I gas the VIP then switch to handcuffs, but when I click the handcuffs haven't "activated" yet so I have to click again.

The server browser is crap. No idea why so many companies use gamespy, it was horrid for H&D2, and it's horrid for this. You hit refresh and it re-pings the servers, but doesn't refresh the number of players. It only lets you re-ping every 6 or so seconds. When you click connect, sometimes it loads the entire level THEN tells you the server is full. And after the "you cannot connect" message, the server browser screen actually has to load (complete with loading bar) so you can get back to choose another server. Very time consuming.

There's no jump command. I think this is fine, but I would've liked a "climb" command or something.

That's all for now. I would've been nice if they included another level, since some of the equipment hardly gets used (the C4 thingy®)

Back