the Age of Conan thread

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread collecting information for Funcom's upcoming MMO Age of Conan. I'll add to it as more info is released as we near gameplay beta which should start this month (june)

about Age of Conan:

wikipedia said:
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures is an upcoming online action role-playing game based on the Conan the Cimmerian stories written by Robert E. Howard in the early 1930s. The game is being developed for the PC and the Xbox 360 by Funcom, the creators of the science fiction MMORPG Anarchy Online and the critically-acclaimed adventure game The Longest Journey. While the game appears to be a traditional MMORPG, Funcom prefers using the term "online action RPG" instead.[14]

The game is divided into two sections: The first section is a single-player experience that is played while connected to online servers hosted by Funcom, but without interacting with other players.[CORRECTION, you can you can interact with other players in the single player section by simply visiting a city) As such, the player creates a character and then guides that character through a traditional single-player, role-playing adventure. Funcom has predicted that some customers will purchase the game solely for the single-player experience. The second section takes the character created during the single-player portion to a multiplayer environment. The online world promises to be dynamic, as players may form guilds (player organizations), conquer territories and erect cities which are vulnerable to attacks by both humanoid NPCs and players.

Key Features (taken from Funcom):

* Enter the true Conan experience ? The first official Conan online RPG sends you on a brutal journey in the footsteps of the worlds' greatest fantasy hero. Meet Conan's friend and foes, battle demons and monsters known from 70 year of Conan history, and step up to the ultimate challenge and befriend the mighty king Conan himself.

* Explore the world of Conan ? Enter a gigantic and unique gameworld containing more than 30 distinct regions spread across the three mighty nations of Aquilonia, Cimmeria and Stygia. Explore deep jungles, burning deserts, inhospitable mountains, vast valleys, dark dungeons or gleaming cities, and take part in an incredible journey of exploration and adventure.

* Real Combat Engine ? Experience Funcom's revolutionary Real Combat engine, and fight mounted or on the ground. A new multi-point melee system allows the players to swing their weapons where they direct it, in real-time, going head-on against the formulaic nature of online RPG combat. The Real Combat engine also allow players to team up in battle formations and command both NPC's and other players in epic multiplayer battles, as well as giving you the chance to participate in massive sieges.

* Single-player vs. massively multiplayer ? Emerge as a hero from the story-driven single-player experience and embark into even greater adventures in the massively multiplayer part of the game. The branching single-player story is created by the award-winning writers behind The Longest Journey, Dreamfall and Anarchy Online so expect something extraordinary.

* PvP and PvE ? Meet the ultimate resistance in human opponents, and enjoy crushing the skulls of fellow players in mini-games, sieges, arena fights and drunken brawls. Charge into the world of Conan, and fight monsters and demons alone or in groups.

* Extensive guild and solo gameplay ? Form guilds in the multiplayer game and lay siege to hostile castles. Let the catapults sing their merry song of death as the enemy is brutally crushed to a pulp. Team up with other players in large guilds, and explore a large range of social gameplay opportunities. 'Conan' also offers extensive solo gaming opportunities, taking you through an amazing single-player journey and deep into the lands of Hyboria.

* Varied gameplay ? Besides bringing the most brutal experience ever seen in a MMO, Conan also promises to deliver what all fans of MMOs love and enjoy. Vast character customization opportunities, a deep character creation, lots of social opportunities, crafting, a deep and fun RPG system, exciting classes and player-made cities are but a few ingredients in this powerful RPG.

* Amazing graphics ? 'Conan' takes graphics in MMOs to a new level! With the latest and greatest in technology and an amazing art direction the graphics in 'Conan' immerses you into a world as never before seen in any online fantasy universe.

* Stunning Sounds ? Listen to a powerful and epic soundtrack in 7.1 surround. Hear gripping voices recorded by professional actors, and enjoy a dynamic soundscape bringing players to the edge of their seats.

* A story to die for ? 'Age of Conan' delivers a brutal, mature and compelling storyline that will send you headlong on a journey of brutality, intrigue and depth. Mixing the finest of storytelling found in classic RPG's with the open-ended approach found in MMOs, 'Conan' delivers a rare and special story experience.

* The first mature MMO ? In the true and barbaric vision of Robert E. Howard, 'Age of Conan' promises to bring mature online players something dark, new and refreshing. This is no cartoony fairytale, 'Conan' is made by grown-ups, for grown-ups, giving online gamers the chance to unleash the ultimate havoc and fury.

screenshots:

http://bymitra.com/gallery/screens/page1

http://www.insidegamer.nl/xbox360/ageofconanhyborianadventures/screenshots/

32220.jpg

90860.jpg

90861.jpg

97854.jpg

weapons:

http://www.insidegamer.nl/xbox360/ageofconanhyborianadventures/screenshots/102621

http://www.insidegamer.nl/pc/ageofconanhyborianadventures/screenshots/102635

armor:

http://www.insidegamer.nl/pc/ageofconanhyborianadventures/screenshots/102611

http://media.insidegamer.nl/screenshots/public/8006/102604.jpg

videos (taken from AoC community site):

Caravan-Quest at the RPC
Gameplay 1 (Fights) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 2 (Horseriding) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 3 (Enjoy the lands) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 4 (Welcome to the arena) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 5 (Fight with Snakes) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 6 (First Person) (Alternative Link)
Gameplay 7 (Mage) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 8 (Warrior) (Alternative-Link)
Gameplay 9 (Warrior in Action) (Alternative-Link)
( Videos by youtube ) (all 9 videos as one)

Buff-Video
Magic in use and dying

Stygia far away
Game Intro
Fight against two ne mobs, Intro
Fight against two new mobs
Lady creation
Fight against Yeti

Magic-Targeting-System
Crocodil-Quest in full lengh (and english explainations)
Part II of the Crocodilquest
Female-Creation
Jungle-Walking (Startarea, english)

Bridgefight
Caravanquest with Dev-Comment
Caravan under attack, Yeti
Maps, Fly-by etc.
Character Creation male, Starting area
Character Creation male, Starting areaII

Tortage-fly-through
Tortage-fly-through II
Khemi Citytours

The attack of the monkeys...
Fist Figthing

AoC live on stage
AoC-Interview by Gamona

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp...1022&template=inc_media_listing&selected=1022

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6FLU7ADbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScFZKT5F87U

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/7...s=yes,toolbar=no,location=no,resizable=yes'))

http://www.wikiaoc.com/index.php?title=Videos[/QUOTE]

Clan of Conan Newsletters:

http://community.ageofconan.com/conan/frontend/files/NEWSLETTER/issue04/index.html
http://community.ageofconan.com/conan/frontend/files/NEWSLETTER/issue05/index.html
http://community.ageofconan.com/conan/frontend/files/NEWSLETTER/issue06/index.html
http://community.ageofconan.com/conan/frontend/files/NEWSLETTER/issue07/index.html
http://community.ageofconan.com/conan/frontend/files/NEWSLETTER/issue08/index.html

more to be added as info is released

Looking nice, but 2 years of guild wars is leaving me thirsting for a good 1st person multiplayer.
I'm assuming this is 3rd person?

Looking nice, but 2 years of guild wars is leaving me thirsting for a good 1st person multiplayer.
I'm assuming this is 3rd person?

all the combat is motion captured so it would be waste for 1st person ...there is an over the shoulder view when you use a bow ..but it's all 3rd person ..Heros of myth and magic have announced an expansion ..it's first person ..to my knowledge there are no 1st person rpgs coming out in the foreseeable future other than that. they've yet to announce details so I dont know if they'll even expand multiplayer

I should win something for knowing, as soon as I saw the thread title, that this would be Sterns thread.

well to be fair no other member would DARE post an Age of Conan thread for fear I may pwn them with my superior Age of Conan knowledge

ya but there's only ever been one thread on Age of Cona that wasnt by me ..and the person who posted it recieved many a dirty look for weeks till he finally bowed to my superior AoC knowledge (a thinly disguised threat of evicerating his cat helped him see why apology was needed :E )

I've been following AoC. I kind of think they've strayed a little from the books in terms of the look tbh (they need better concept artists tbf), but it should be an exciting game prospect for sure. Here's hoping to getting into the beta. ;)

I've been following AoC. I kind of think they've strayed a little from the books in terms of the look tbh (they need better concept artists tbf), but it should be an exciting game prospect for sure. Here's hoping to getting into the beta. ;)

I think the art direction is hit and miss ..the originals were written in the 30's so the author probably envisioned something along the lines of a Johnny Weissmuller from tarzan fame over say swartzenegger (no steriod use in the 30's) ...I think for my money Frank Frazetta's Conan is the definative Conan ..but he painted those covers decades after the death of Robert e Howard ...anyways I'm babbling. If you do manage to get into beta send me an ingame tell (name Sternn) I'll show you around ;) (when I finally get let in! (won contest, promised spot in beta))

* A story to die for ? 'Age of Conan' delivers a brutal, mature and compelling storyline that will send you headlong on a journey of brutality, intrigue and depth. Mixing the finest of storytelling found in classic RPG's with the open-ended approach found in MMOs, 'Conan' delivers a rare and special story experience.

So, whoever gets into the beta let me know if the story is anything worth getting excited about. That'll probably be the only reason I'll be playing it.

the beta wont have anything from the single player, so story quests are probably limited ..and if anybody does get into beta they cant saying because of the NDA (non disclosure agreement)

Oh yeah, forgot about those pesky NDAs. And I thought the "classic RPG storytelling" was supposed to be part of the multiplayer. Ah wait, if memory serves right, you must play single-player until level 20 (is that right?) then you can jump into the online portion of the game. I was kinda hoping for an intersting story WHILE playing online.

well sort of ..the first 20 levels are single player ..however you can meet up with other players playing through their single player games in the city near the starting zone (an island) ..i think we'll be able to co-op some of the quests

Thanks for the info stern. =)

I must say, I'm rather impressed by the game and definitely appreciate the graphics quality and serious (ie: not cartoony) art direction. Looks like it would be fun just to go exploring in the world.

I think the art direction is hit and miss ..the originals were written in the 30's so the author probably envisioned something along the lines of a Johnny Weissmuller from tarzan fame over say swartzenegger (no steriod use in the 30's) ...I think for my money Frank Frazetta's Conan is the definative Conan ..but he painted those covers decades after the death of Robert e Howard ...anyways I'm babbling. If you do manage to get into beta send me an ingame tell (name Sternn) I'll show you around ;) (when I finally get let in! (won contest, promised spot in beta))

Agreed Frazettas paintings are the best by far. I also liked the look from the first film, pity the second was played for laughs though it would of been a good franchise if they'd played it straight and avoided the dumb jokes. Hopefully I should get into the Beta (I have a lot of beta testing experience on my resume) and if I do I'll certainly try and link up with you. :)

This definitely looks very nice. The feature list seems pretty impressive too. Hopefully this game delivers for you guys. Unfortunately for me I don't like MMOs, RPGs or fantasy settings so I'll probably sit this one out, but I'll be curious to hear what people think of the combat system. That's always been a drawback for me with RPGs.

that's too bad. Still might give it a go for s's and g's when it's released though.

ya s's and g's are my main motivator in life ;) :E

but you of all people should be playing AoC ..I mean you're in the game, and 1/3 of the player base must worship you ..although praying to you is useless ..O Crom

I was meh about this game until I saw them Trebuchets. I get a hard on for Trebuchets. If those Trebuchets are usable... I NEED this game.

Oh, and what about non-combat gameplay? Can you buy boats and houses and stuff? What about other tasks like mining and such? Or is it all combat.

You don't see a lot of media covering the social non-combat aspects of this game, I was wondering the same things Krynn. Any talk of minigames or side professions?

I was meh about this game until I saw them Trebuchets. I get a hard on for Trebuchets. If those Trebuchets are usable... I NEED this game.

yes, and they're part of crafting ..but only for guilds ..one of the prestige classes (Lord) in AoC allows for building guild cities (Architect)as one of the paths players can choose when choosing the Lord prestige class ..the other is weaponsmith which I think allows for building Trebuchets ..here's the break down:

Prestige Classes, with regard to Guilds and Crafting. There will be FOUR sub-divisions of this class (w/crafting specailties):

* Lord - Has access to the Architect and Alchemy crafting skills.
* Commander - Has access to the Weaponsmith crafting skill.
* Crafter - Has access to all forms of crafting.
* Master - Has access to the Armorsmith crafting skill.

There will be FIVE Crafting directions a player may follow, based on their Prestige Class listed above:

* Weaponsmith
* Armorsmith
* Gemcutter
* Alchemist
* Architect

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp...tent&func_id=1194&sort=PRIORITY&table=CONTENT

Oh, and what about non-combat gameplay? Can you buy boats and houses and stuff? What about other tasks like mining and such? Or is it all combat.

no details as of yet about social gameplay but there's non combat clothing you can wear so I'm assuming there'll be something especially since guilds can build their own cities including specific building that can be used by people (ie: blacksmith, tavern) ...there's always bar room brawling ..the more you drink the more/less skilled in fist fighting you are ..free for all in a bar, how freakin aweseome is that? it's like my college years all over again ;) I think we can bust chairs over peoples heads /drool

babyheadcrab said:
You don't see a lot of media covering the social non-combat aspects of this game, I was wondering the same things Krynn. Any talk of minigames or side professions?

when a guild builds a city NPCs will build a city near you where they'll send out raids against you or you can raid them before they grow too large and lay seige on your city ... there's also guild battlekeeps for PvP where other guilds can lay seige to your keep and take it over, there'll also be capture the flag pvp gametypes and bar room brawling, there's even a rumoured bounty hunting system. Also thieves area in certain cities where you can climb into buildings and loot npc homes ..they said you should be able to climb any building in the thieves quarter that looks like it can be climbed

thief:

http://community.ageofconan.com/conan/frontend/files/CONTENT/sneaky_burglar-v01.jpg

drunken brawling:

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp...full&func_id=1579&sort=PRIORITY&table=CONTENT

btw here are some screens of social clothing:

ftp://ftp.funcom.com/media/Age_of_Conan/screenshots/01jun07/Armor/Aquilonian_Social.jpg
ftp://ftp.funcom.com/media/Age_of_Conan/screenshots/01jun07/Armor/Stygian_Social.jpg

blacksmith:
ftp://ftp.funcom.com/media/Age_of_Conan/screenshots/01jun07/Armor/Blacksmith_Outfit.jpg

although I'll probably always walk around in full gear:

ftp://ftp.funcom.com/media/Age_of_Conan/screenshots/01jun07/Armor/Cimmerian_Bandedmail.jpg

but you of all people should be playing AoC ..I mean you're in the game, and 1/3 of the player base must worship you ..although praying to you is useless ..O Crom

Yeah i spose it is my duty to look in on those pathetic mortals from time to time.

For a god however, running this on a less than godlike pc such as mine will be difficult indeed.

Maybe next year. Pray to one of the other lesser gods instead.

well the devs have said that if you can run Oblivion you should be able to run Age of Conan ..MMO's with steep system requirements are just asking to shoot themselves in the foot (vanguard)

Oblivion crawls but is playable. Newer and uglier games most certainly are not.
Not to sound cynical or anything, but when a developer releases a game and claims it can run fine on a standard rig at 3 million fps on ultra ultra settings, I tend not to believe them anymore.
Too many of those 'harmless little marketing fibs' have burnt my wallet once too often...

ya me too ..oh well I'm upgrading for Age of Conan ...so as to not suffer from wallet burn ...but I'll let you know how it runs on my current rig which is just step above yours

The 'full gear' screenshot looks awkward as sin :\ why is he all hunched over. Also his gear appears to be floating on him instead of actually.. you know.. equipped

the screen is not really an ingame screen ..if you look at all the screens from that collection it looks to me like a dev put in a character, put on different clothes and hit printscreen

I think it looks fine ..although I'd prefer less gold looking ..especially since it's supposed to be cimmerian

but I'll let you know how it runs on my current rig which is just step above yours

Thankee kindly good sir.

Watching some more of the videos I noticed a lot of characters doing the old scooby-doo, slippery floor moonwalking. That was a feature of cheap cartoons that really used to P me off as a kid, a vast chasm of difference in quality that separated Battle of the Planets from Top Cat. With all the motion capture goodness that has evidently gone into such a quality game, how could such an obvious animation screw-up have gotten by unnoticed?

Or am i just being too picky?

Thankee kindly good sir.

Watching some more of the videos I noticed a lot of characters doing the old scooby-doo, slippery floor moonwalking. That was a feature of cheap cartoons that really used to P me off as a kid, a vast chasm of difference in quality that separated Battle of the Planets from Top Cat. With all the motion capture goodness that has evidently gone into such a quality game, how could such an obvious animation screw-up have gotten by unnoticed?

Or am i just being too picky?

I'm gonna have to agree, a lot of the animation in Conan seems totally awkward to me - this could be because it's still in an early phase, but a lot of the time things just seem mechanical and choppy.

The game shows promise, don't get me wrong - but I get that unpolished EQ2 feel sometimes when checking out media.

ya there's animation issues. running stands out the most as it still looks somewhat awkward but has improved in newer builds ..some of the videos are from older builds so some animations change throughout; for example they were using the E3 06 build at GDC this year ...I think they'll be showing a new build for e3 this year

well the devs have said that if you can run Oblivion you should be able to run Age of Conan ..MMO's with steep system requirements are just asking to shoot themselves in the foot (vanguard)

That's kinda reassurring. As for Vanguard I know what you mean, I played it till lvl44 before I realized my friends list had emptied itself in a matter of days. And to be honest, it didn't even look good on high quality settings. It just looked bland.

Am I finally going to get huge LOTR style battles in this game?

Sorry Sterny... I was asked by someone, who wishes to remain anonymous, to post this picture.

therealconan8ss.jpg

*COUGHOCYBRMANOCOUGH*

Lungs are a little wheezy... :E

I know, he always tries to get on my account and check what's going on.

I know Frazetta's style is kinda vague but he really needs to work on his faces...

That's kinda reassurring. As for Vanguard I know what you mean, I played it till lvl44 before I realized my friends list had emptied itself in a matter of days. And to be honest, it didn't even look good on high quality settings. It just looked bland.

Vanguard sucked so bad, I contemplated about suing to get my $50 back.

Back