the Age of Conan thread

Yeah. I usually don't, but Vanguard was so promising.

Edit: Oh lawd, my 8,000th post!

I know Frazetta's style is kinda vague but he really needs to work on his faces...

:O

Frazetta purposefully made conan unatractive almost brutish which in my opinion is closer to the spirit of Robert e Howard (creator of conan)

I mean compare this face ..

frazetta.jpg

to this face by boris vallejo:

Boris%20Vallejo%20-%20Conan%20ouvrant%20une%20bouteille.jpg

while vallejos is more realistic it has none of the savagry of a Frazetta ..technically boris is the better artist but creative wise Frazetta is leaps and bounds above Vallejo

Frazetta could draw faces:

here's a self portrait

Frank-Frazetta-Self-Portrait.jpg

anyways I'm probably the wrong person to ask cuz I'm a big fan of Frazetta, he's probably my first influence as an artist ..I just wish I had half the talent he does

i'll take a closer look at all this tomorrow
but thanks for the info Stern!
it's looking good

Yeah you are right, i was just japing about the o'brian pic ;)

Frazetta is great at gritty action and impulsive imagery, and although I didn't used to like his stuff all that much, he certainly is the best man for Conan material - he captures the cold, barbaric nature very well.

That particular Vallejo painting I believe (but don't quote me on this) is a self portrait - the faces look too similar to be coincidence. He has probably exagerated muscular proportions a little but as Vallejo is a huge bodybuilder, probably not that much.

Although I like his technique and use of colour, i've always thought the poses were very staged and rigid and not well suited to anything other than commercial art.

It's all down to Horses for Courses in the end.

Yeah you are right, i was just japing about the o'brian pic ;)

/me slaps forehead

doh

Frazetta is great at gritty action and impulsive imagery, and although I didn't used to like his stuff all that much, he certainly is the best man for Conan material - he captures the cold, barbaric nature very well.

agreed, his paintings are alive with a raw sensibility that suits the material ..the original depiction of cona ..well the drawings that accompanied the ReH stories in Weird Tales looked more like Alex raymond ..but that was a product of the times

conan1.jpg

That particular Vallejo painting I believe (but don't quote me on this) is a self portrait - the faces look too similar to be coincidence. He has probably exagerated muscular proportions a little but as Vallejo is a huge bodybuilder, probably not that much.

agreed, that is a self portrait:

borispic.jpg

I just couldnt find a good pic of a conan-esque face by vallejo to illustrate my point

Although I like his technique and use of colour, i've always thought the poses were very staged and rigid and not well suited to anything other than commercial art.

It's all down to Horses for Courses in the end.

agreed, Boris was a little too posed for my tastes ..they look like artist models wearing costumes; it just becomes an excercise in technique ...Frazetta's work is raw savage passionate spare on technique/slavish reproduction of what he sees and more visceral in his depiction of the worlds he created

anyways I'm babbling :)

ughhh can't take all the hype, WOW a non-awkward positioned model, /golfclap

looking better and better, which is good considering most games start looking worse and worse in the press they put out nearing launch.

Looks poo, except for the tits, which aren't big enough.

Just playing, looks pretty neat :imu:

What is best in life?

That chicks legs look almost thicker than her waist!

Anyhoo AoC looks sweet, I signed up for the gameplay beta.

It can also result in fatality moves, of course, like sending three arrows at once right through the head of your opponent and watch the blood gushing wildly!

I can't wait.

tons of new videos, screenshots and info from a recent US media hands on play session:

from the community site:

Videos

- http://au.media.pc.gamespy.com/media/743/743392/vid_2040357.html (5 gplay vids form gamespy)
+ HDlnk ( Sage to the Rescue (54Mb) The Undead At Large (66Mb) Magic Can Kill (57Mb) 3 vs. 1 (63Mb) Fighting Bare (63Mb) )
- http://au.gamespot.com/video/927504/6173464/age-of-conan-hyborian-adventures-interview-1# (video interview from gamespot)
- http://www.vg-reloaded.com/modules/articles/1704.php (4 gplay vids form gamespy)
- http://media.pc.ign.com/media/743/743392/vids_1.html (5 gplay vids form gamespy)
- http://www.gamersinfo.net/video/ag/ageofconan-june07 (6mins gplay video)
- http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21141.html (Bear Shaman from gametrailers.com)

Sshots

Concept

blood_defiler_v05.jpg
Blur_render1.jpg
Blur_render2.jpg
conan_statue.jpg
Kushian_character_01.jpg
scorpionarcher_scorpionpose.jpg
storm_chains_concept.jpg
TARANTIA_2.jpg

Rendering

armor 1.jpg
armor 2.jpg
armor 3.jpg
armor 4.jpg
armor 5.jpg
building 1.jpg
building 2.jpg
mob1.jpg
mob2.jpg
mob3.jpg
mob4.jpg
mob5.jpg
mob6.jpg
mob7.jpg
mob8.jpg
shield 2.jpg
weapon 1.jpg

Sshots

- from gamespot
927504_20070702_screen001.jpg
927504_20070702_screen002.jpg
927504_20070702_screen003.jpg
927504_20070702_screen004.jpg
927504_20070702_screen005.jpg
927504_20070702_screen006.jpg
927504_20070702_screen007.jpg
927504_20070702_screen008.jpg
927504_20070702_screen009.jpg
927504_20070702_screen010.jpg
927504_20070702_screen011.jpg

I love this screen ...Stealth gameplay? the ability to go prone

927504_20070702_screen002.jpg

Wow I hadn't seen that cinematic trailer before. Pretty good stuff!

Edit: just realized it's brand new lol :D

Wicked shots Stern--that tiger does look great!

Did you say you will be getting Vista or have it already in preparation for this? Are you tricking out your rig for the big day??

yes :) ..I have a copy of vista (havent installed it yet), just waiting to see what happens later this month when intel drops their prices on quad cores .. will be picking up a 22" screen soon

just want to stress that the game doesnt require Vista, it's launching as a winxp/vista title

yes :) ..I have a copy of vista (havent installed it yet), just waiting to see what happens later this month when intel drops their prices on quad cores .. will be picking up a 22" screen soon

just want to stress that the game doesnt require Vista, it's launching as a winxp/vista title
Gotcha. The DX10 stuff does look undeniably better though, and I will NEED it for Crysis eventually anyway, so it makes sense...dual-booted with XP of course. :cheese: I would love to upgrade now but I have all but decided that this year is the year of the console for me, so I will likely not upgrade CPU/MOBO/GPU/RAM (i.e. pretty much everything :LOL:) until next year (right around tax refund time methinks :)).

my current cpu is good enough to run AoC ..and changing it means a whole new mobo and ram ..havent decided yet ..probably just get a new video card to replace my aging 7800gt ..want to see dx10 performance benchmarks first

I've successfully avoided consoles so far ..thankfully the overwhelming majority of games I want are cross platform, the few shooters that are not I can do without

now if I can only get around Mass effect ... comeon pc announcement (not likely ;( )

my current cpu is good enough to run AoC ..and changing it means a whole new mobo and ram ..havent decided yet ..probably just get a new video card to replace my aging 7800gt ..want to see dx10 performance benchmarks first

I've successfully avoided consoles so far ..thankfully the overwhelming majority of games I want are cross platform, the few shooters that are not I can do without

now if I can only get around Mass effect ... comeon pc announcement (not likely ;( )

Yeah, I was really hoping I could get away with just another GB of RAM and an 8800 GTX, but it seems more and more likely that the games I want (Bioshock, Alan Wake, Crysis, Dragon Age, etc) will run much better (i.e. at all) on a multi-core processor even though I have a P4 3.6. Oh well. That's tech for you. :hmph:

And I can totally see Mass Effect coming to Games for Windows. I mean, Gears of War is, so Mass Effect making the transition is a no-brainer I am sure for MS. So its a timed-exclusive so to say. :)

ya but it's microsoft ..we just got Halo 2 ;( ..I'm not waiting 2 years, I'll have lost interest

unfortunately I think microsoft wants to keep Mass effect exclusive

haha, I had forgotten we have pretty similar systems. The tiger does look pretty cool :D

Definitely get the 22" widescreen, I got mine a while back and it's glorious.

I'm also planning on upgrading this fall. I'm waiting to see how the amd quad core launch looks and seeing if any second generation dx 10 cards come out.

haha, I had forgotten we have pretty similar systems. The tiger does look pretty cool :D

Definitely get the 22" widescreen, I got mine a while back and it's glorious.

I'm also planning on upgrading this fall. I'm waiting to see how the amd quad core launch looks and seeing if any second generation dx 10 cards come out.

do you run it in native resolution for most games? ..I'm afraid my 7800 might not be up to task to play at 1680 x 1050 in newer games (specifically AoC)

yep, I run everything in 1680x1050 with my 7800. Supcom works fine with everything maxed out (get a steady 15-20 fps which is perfectly fine for it)

The newer stuff you should be able to run in that resolution, but would have to turn the effects down.

yep, I haven't been playing much else lately. I tried running it on the dual monitors (1680x1050 + 1280x1024) but my system can't handle that yet :p

the head stabbing looks awesome btw.

btw, there's another game called conan that's coming out on the x360 and ps3 that's different? I watched a video about it... it's more like god of war and not an mmo I think.

ya I've seen it a few times in action ..there's quite a few gameplay videos ...looks neat but mindless fun

played this last night:

1728294305.jpg

pc demo of Conan the Dark Axe from 2004 ..pretty crappy, especially the controls

That screenie just reminded me of Barbarian on C64.

barbarian on the C64? you are indeed old, oh Crom, lord of the mound

Back