Team Fortress 2 Beta - Competitive Gaming?

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
The rumours are beginning to spread around the competitive TF2 websites and Steam forums about a potential new version of Team Fortress 2 specifically tailored for the competitive scene. Recently, Robin Walker had an interview with CommunityFortress expressing interest in promoting competitive TF2
We're excited to see the steady growth of the TF2 competitive scene around the world, and we try to keep track of what we can do to help it. So far, most of that help has taken the form of feature additions to the game, but in the future I think we'd like to get more insight into what else we can do. In particular, I'd like to build some more bridges to organizers within the competitive community, which is something we've tried to do but still continue to have trouble with.
Apparently a select few competitive teams are working on fine tuning this new version of TF2, for 6v6 play. See original source here.[br]Oh and on Robin Walker's Steam account, under recent games you can clearly see evidence of this new game as Team Fortress 2 Beta (see screenshot below)[br]

I can see them developing a competative gamemode with fixed settings and options for ladders and tournaments, but I dont think it will be a seperate executable, I mean the TF2 beta in his profile is likely a new patch.

I can see why they want to create a seperate gamemode for tourny and ladder play, as alot of their ideas are geared towards public play and things such as Unlocks, Drops and customization elements can alienate the competative community a little, so having a seperate mode with fixed settings and options to remove unlocks or whatever else people bitch about, might leave them open to do what they like with the more casual public game.

Sounds interesting and no doubt will shut up the people who think TF2 has become to "casual".
Personally I want TF3 with vehicles and Battlefield sized levels, and of course the classic 9 classes (maybe 10) :)

Sounds interesting and no doubt will shut up the people who think TF2 has become to "casual".
Personally I want TF3 with vehicles and Battlefield sized levels, and of course the classic 9 classes (maybe 10) :)

Not_sure_if_your_serious.ashx

Hm, interesting.

I'm not sure if I'd be keen if they were removing unlocks though. My gripe isn't with unlocks, it's their implementation. Maybe if they nerfed the broken ones?* Hmm...

*Or I dunno maybe FIX THEM IN REGULAR PLAY

If the "competitive" version was more like vanilla TF2, I might be there 24/7.

No more of these silly hats or unlockables...

It's funny how Valve actually has to 'specifically tailor' TF2 to be competition-friendly. Should've just made it that way in the first place, smart guys.

Hey what's up, superior game that will never be released here. How are things going with that game we got replaced with? No tanks, huh? Needs to be rebalanced for competitive play? Feels bad, man.

dbpguo.jpg

Hey what's up, superior game that will never be released here. How are things going with that game we got replaced with? No tanks, huh? Needs to be rebalanced for competitive play? Feels bad, man.

dbpguo.jpg

Launch cs1.2.exe

maxplayers 24
map de_dust
sv_gravity 400

destiny-1b.jpg

bspedit some func_vehicles in.

Enjoy?

KIDDING JEEZ

If the "competitive" version was more like vanilla TF2, I might be there 24/7.

I'm in the beta and that's a large aspect of it. Currently TF2 classes aren't very balanced on the upper-skill levels (soldier/demoman/medic/scouts being the only 4 classes that are played and the other ones pulled out situationally). In a few months I hope anyone can play any class and have it be viable, and maybe some progression in a team's class builds - right now there's not any progression at all, everyone has to play the same classes because the other classes are underpowered :/

Alright, what the hell. Last night the original image I linked was proper. Then later it was changed to what you see now. So I relinked to the right one. Now it's changed back to the weird one. WHAT.

Here's what the host provides:
destiny-1b.jpg

I've saved another in case it somehow reverts again:
t6ryfm.jpg

Edit: Hokay, I think it has something to do with improper caching on my part. ffff

Back