Team Fortress 2 Beta Live

I have yet to play (class and work) but tonight I will. I keep thinking of No One Lives Forever and their kind of humor.

I can't wait!

Just like you do in counters-strike or any other game ever! Same thing over and over again untill the end :rolling:

~I'm 72% downloaded, i want it now

Must I agree with that.

Must also confess, I hate mulitplayer!, any mp and the reason for that is very simple it does not work.

It is just running around like morons.

But TF2 was fun for a short while.

I've had lots of varied experiences playing the same MP game alot. Even in the same map. Multiplayer can be so different because you're playing real people who use their brains and can do so many things that AI can't. Plus, playing an equal, or near-equal, in MP is so damn fun.

can someone help me: my game keeps freezing up(like a 1 minute lag) and sound stutters the same sound for a minute. it doesnt let up either. i have to crash the game and go back in... it happens after the first 5 minutes playing..

my graphics card drivers are updated. (ati x800)

can someone help me: my game keeps freezing up(like a 1 minute lag) and sound stutters the same sound for a minute. it doesnt let up either. i have to crash the game and go back in... it happens after the first 5 minutes playing..

That sounds like something only a patch is going to fix.

By the way, ins_ramadi is my favorite map by far :) cheers

I think my dang decryption is either totally stopped or it's stuck at 5%. :frown:

It's not quite flawless... I'd give it 85-90% though! :p

The only bits I don't like are:
- Having to run Steam Community to get it to set my name
- Non-togglable deathcam freezing (I want to control my view TYVM, most of the time I'm more interested in seeing what's happening immediately afterwards, not having my entertainment put on pause so I can be forced to watch my killer gurn as he gloats over me)
- Having to use keys 1-4 to place structures (it's not very friendly for left-handers)
- 15 second respawn times
- No grenades!

But in it's defence apart from all of that it is pure awesome. :D

glad you like it! :D

and ya... and i keep starting the game and a minute in it freezes :(
i was playing last night for a while and it was fine.. this sucks. :(

i think this happens in my other source games too(including ins)...

:(

Must also confess, I hate mulitplayer!, any mp and the reason for that is very simple it does not work.

It is just running around like morons.

well clearly MP works for a lot of people, in fact a hell of a lot of people judging by the sheer amount of man hours that get sunk into it daily worldwide, so perhaps it's about time you reassessed who the moron is in the equation. :dozey:

It's a great game. I haven't run into maps, classes, or enemy playstyles I dislike. It does seem that 50% of my deaths are Spy backstabs, but that just means I take the paranoia up a notch (and have been, I'm catching them more and more often).

Betaness-wise, I haven't seen much except some lag (which could of course be the server or some router issue).

Everything seems pretty balanced in the gameplay. I can do well as any class. They're all fun - and more importantly very different from one another.
It was certainly worth the -5.00 USD to preorder, lol.

That happens to me for every source game.

It's not something new, its been occurring ever since the first release of the CS beta back in 2004.

There's no grenades! :D

I forgot about that. God I want this game more now.

Seriously. I always hated the grenades in TFC.

I think nadeless will be interesting--but I never played the old TF so I also wouldn't know what I'm missing.

My doesn't even work though--I load it and it acts like it's about to play and then crashes.

:(

The commentary feature for TF2 explains why they removed grenades. If you love nade spamming so much, play Fortress Forever, it's actually a pretty good mod with a much faster pace of action (if that's your preference).

Personally I like TF2 quite a bit. It doesn't seem like there are any killer combinations at the moment, which is good since you can find weaknesses in the enemy team. It's like a really involved version of rock-paper-scissors. Normally if the other team is creating a choke point, almost always they are specializing too much, and you can break through with the proper team loadout that breaks theirs.

woo fuk i have an awesome friend, helping out a poor uni student out like myself :)

he chucked the orange box on his credit card and now im dling TF2 now ;)

The commentary is pretty interesting (as usual), as is running through the multi-stage maps freely. I've not even been in half of Hydro (or maybe another map...) because Blu always won.

Bahaha, I'm finding little more satisfying than killing spies, pyros, and batshit scouts with Demo's bottle.

When I got back home to update the game to play, it stuck at 65%. I verified game's cache files and downloaded the missing chunks. From there on...a fantastic experience!

this game rocks soooooo much!!!
gettin my tf sniping skills back

Best source game to date imo.

-no nades (win) makes demo worth using
-slower pace (win) makes scout actually stand out more
-cant change your name (win) obvious reasons

I could go on and on why this is superior to tfc ff etc but I think anyone who has played it already knows why tf2 is a great game.

Yeah: it's fun as hell is why it's a great game.

Although the title of best source game will always go to Half-Life 2 / Episodes

That I would consider agreeing with.

I haven't had this feeling in ages. I didn't want to sleep last night, I just wanted to keep playing...I wanted to call in JUST to play it.

Oh boy, this is going to be one worthwhile purchase.

Yeah, all day I've been having this intense internal struggle because I have a lab report due at 7pm but I reaaaaaaaally want to play TF2 for a while before i do it.

I actually didn't go to sleep. Ended up playing for 15 hours over a 22 hour period starting at 3AM EST on several servers, with regular pub players, friends and the developers. By far the most amazing MP experience I've ever had. It's great on the eyes, it really takes advantage of the Core 2 chip I have (it runs better for me than DoDS), the classes all seem balanced (although a good spy can wreak the best defenses), and as others have stated, it's just so much fun. I hope it stays fun and doesn't degenerate into what happened to TFC (where a small select group of perfectionists ruined the game by imposing "rules"). The devs are aware of how that happened and they are doing their best to limit the amount of change that server operators can impose.

All in all it's a great game all to itself, much less the notion you're getting HL2 EP2 and portal as well (Peggle too).

Dammit, dammit, dammit! Now I want to play it rather badly, but I don't have a credit card! ><

Great to hear it's excellent :D

I think the elite tfc folks will hate tf2, and that imo is a good thing. Great game to play with buddies too, another reason I enjoy the respawning delays, makes it easier to work in groups.

A great that it is, it still has some real assholes playing it. A good admin mod or whatever thingy should be created/put to use. Still seeing those retardish tks.
Still.. the game is superb :thumbs::thumbs:

After making the game-stopping crashes go away...I have to stay this is a brilliant and incredibly fun game. Like my old favorite Battlefield 1942, it pulls itself away from the repetitiveness and monotony that plagues most online FPS. It's extremely unstable, but I can forgive that since it's a beta(although I'll be pissed if it stays that way after release).

The class system in TF2 definitely makes the game for me. I was pleasantly surprised (or horrified on a busy weekday) when 2 hours passed until I was too tired to continue playing well. A lot of variety comes from actively guessing what holes there are in the team loadout, and trying to push my team to victory. There's something ironically awsome about hearing a teammate whine about heavy rushing, and them choosing the sniper/engineer/spy class to tag them efficiently. And when the other team started spamming a choke point, I jumped in as a Pyro and ran around like a maniac lighting everyone on fire. Pyromaniac Achievement for the easy!

It's probably the little details that make me really love this game. I think I fell for it after a tie, and the angry announcer pronouning all of us losers. The aesthestic design is so spot on that it's impossible to take the game seriously. You don't care that the grenade launcher chambers only 4 rounds, or that the rocket launcher is reloadable because meanwhile a soldier is flapping his arms in the air during a rocket jump and the heavy weapons guy is laughing as he racks up critical hits.

Aw great, I wasted time gushing about TF2 instead of doing work. So much for a short break. 0_o

After making the game-stopping crashes go away...I have to stay this is a brilliant and incredibly fun game. Like my old favorite Battlefield 1942, it pulls itself away from the repetitiveness and monotony that plagues most online FPS. It's extremely unstable, but I can forgive that since it's a beta(although I'll be pissed if it stays that way after release).

You know...after the initial problems w/download and after talking to Mugsy (the core DoDS coder is one of the core TF2 coders) I think they pushed out a quick patch and I updated my nvidia drivers to the latest beta version and the only crash condition I've had since is the occasional "TAB" crash. I have not had a crash in the last 24 hours though. I suspect Valve had to release the beta because they really do understand they could not, in any fashion, replicate the user experience from their offices. I'm 100% positive we'll see a game-day patch that will take all the data they are getting plus consider a few of the users complaints (too long in respawn and sudden death being too long are the two I have) and give us both a mroe stable platform and maybe a few changes.

I have to say though...from art integration, to gameplay dynamics, to the characters expression changes (from fright to glee) as the combat changes, their taunts, the excellent integration into the Steam Community...it's a VERY polished effort.

Yeah, I think they released a small update too...now if log into Friends and get a name other than "unknown", I can actually view the scoreboard without a crash!

Except that it still crashes at the end of rounds...and the random game-stopping crashes have actually gotten worse.

Call me when TF2 becomes playable again.

I haven't crashed in TF2 at all yet. It actually runs perfectly for the most part, so far. /knock on wood

I retract everything negative I've previously said about TF2's stability...upgrading my video drivers seemed to have taken care of every game-stopping bug I've run into so far. I've only upgraded now because I've been previously told that older Nvidia drivers are better than newer ones, which has turned out to be completely wrong.

Back