Team Fortress 2 Blog Update: Incredible Additions Being Worked On

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
The Team Fortress team had been drafted in to help with L4D in the past few months, but it seems they are back on home ground working on TF2 again. Although we won't see any updates this year, here is an example of what to expect:
  • Teleporters will be upgradeable to level 3. As the teleporter is upgraded, the cooldown will decrease.
  • Dispensers will be upgradeable to level 3. They will heal faster and generate metal faster as they are upgraded.
  • Spies will be able to recharge their cloaking ability by picking up ammo off of the ground.
  • We've made a bunch of minor changes by adding particle systems and upgrading the HUD to show things like deaths by critical hits, players that are overhealed, and giving more information to medics when people are calling for them.
That's not it though, they are also working on a couple other things, including the next class pack.
  • The next class pack will be the Scout. One of the main goals we're focusing on for him has been to provide tools that make him useful in maps like Dustbowl & Goldrush
  • We are actively working on a massive XBox 360 update, which will include pretty much everything we've shipped on the PC in the last year.
  • We're also working on bringing over a variety of engine improvements from Left 4 Dead into the TF2 engine, including multicore support.
Incredible updates for Team Fortress 2. There is no date yet for this release, or the update coming to the 360 users but we will post it here as soon as we know. To see the full blog update see here.

Nice update, but where's mah EP3 trailer? :'(

Nice update.

I was expecting the next class pack to be the Scout.

AWESOME news to hear. Im getting excited already. But, probably because its newer, im more interested in hearing plans for future content for l4d right now, probably also because it needs it more... Looking foward to this though.

*waits for l4d news... oh and episode 3 trailer of course ;P*

Best update ever!

I vote demo for his melee weapon!

... dunno!

Looks like it's now 7 seconds and 5 seconds.

No visual or HUD changes, yet.

79472065yo0.jpg

65475988fq0.jpg

Totally forgot about the dispenser D:

58473187qh2.jpg

84765915jh3.jpg

22141030dp5.jpg

Beautiful.

I love the pimped out dispenser.

Needs pimped out teleporters though.

I like the spy one, that should make them a bit more of a threat, and make my job even more interesting (seeing as I am a Pyro player) and the demo tweak means that they will be a bit less of a brain dead nose picker fire and forget class. Not by much but a little, and that helps.

Demoman actually have to think about stick trap placement now. Spamming won't cut it.
And real changes to Goldrush! I might see the fabled 2nd or 3rd stages soon. (They're the El Dorado of TF2, even more then a fun game of Hydro)

A couple questions I have:
What's new with the Demoman?
And what do level 2 & 3 Dispensers/Teleporters do?

I like the upgradable teleporter and the spy updates.... but did we really need a upgradable dispenser? Seems like it would favor defense more. Though I do admit that the level 3 despenser looks pretty cool. looking at that thing kinda reminds me of this

A couple questions I have:
What's new with the Demoman?
And what do level 2 & 3 Sentries/Teleporters do?

The level 2 & 3 teleporters take less time to recharge after being used and we already have level 2 & 3 sentries. I'm not sure what this has to do with the demoman though.

I'm sorry, I meant dispensers
And nurizeko said something abot a Demoman tweak

Oh right, the higher level dispensers heal/give metal more quickly. I don't think anything has been directly changed with the demoman, but people who play as the demoman will have to change their strategies a little, to counter the upgrades to the engineer, spy and scout.

Wow this came out of nowhere. Crazy!

Wait, this is already out?!?!?!?
This. Wasn't expecting anything TF2 for the rest of the year.

Awesome news, Eng, Medic and Spy are 3/4 of my top played classes so this update is going to be a lot of fun when it finished downloading. Not to mention the other things like the Demo nerf, Goldrush change, critical hit notification, overhealed visual effect and rocket jump smoke.

It's great, I can see strats changing already (one engie stays behind to upgrade everybody's porters hwile the rest rush to the front to start up some shit) and demoman spam is reduced significantly, at least amongst people who've read the patch notes (and are making people who didn't pay). Only problem was that I encountered a new form of game crash I hadn't seen before.

Either this new update or DIPRIP and Insurgency updates have killed all my Orange Box games on Steam :(

Level 3 teleport: Awesome

Level 3 dispenser: Useful, forward healing stations more viable now

Spy cloak charge from ammo: Awesome (you can travel so far with some planning+luck)

Soldiers flaming boots while in a rocket jump: Hilarious+Awesome

New medic notifications: Awesome (you can even tell when someone is on fire)

Overhealed effect: A nice addition.

Crit notifications: Nice addition.

Demo sticky nerf: Well something was needed, this neatly avoids the "I can't do anything" feeling they sometimes gave, time will tell if it is balanced.

Goldrush Stage1-Cap2 Red Nerf: Was needed and appears to be doing the job fine, I'll be interested to see the new death graph.

• Dispensers will be upgradeable to level 3. They will heal faster and generate metal faster as they are upgraded.
Oh lord *Facepalm*

All I see is a group of heavies huddled around a dispenser firing frantically in all directions; hopefully picking off spies, and earning the Permanent Revolution and Heavy Industry achievements :rolleyes:

what's the deal with the demo nerf???

he was already nerfed when they added the airburst function to the pyro's flamethrower...which I didn't mind so much because it gave pyros another speciality role...

stupid ass whiners that don't know how to avoid stickies getting what they want :facepalm:

I'm not liking the idea of the demoman tweak. It sounds like it will make the pyro blast less valuable, when instead they could have just upped the distance that stickies fly when struck by bullets (I know they tried that in the past, but the distance was still pathetic).

I'll wait until I play until I pass final judgement though.

Everything else sounds brilliant.

what's the deal with the demo nerf???

he was already nerfed when they added the airburst function to the pyro's flamethrower...which I didn't mind so much because it gave pyros another speciality role...

stupid ass whiners that don't know how to avoid stickies getting what they want :facepalm:

He wasn't nerfed that much. This allows you to actually get rid of stickies properly. I think it's great, but then again, I'm not really playing bullet classes.

whay :O

glad to know the engineer will have a full pack as well as these lovely extras

The problem is when there are several demos all spamming stickies around a choke point. A lone demo is fine too.

I haven't played the game consistently since the Pyro update. (Lord, I hate those flamers!)
The spy looks like he'll be more of a threat now. The engineer would have more uses other than camping. It took forever and a half back in my day for the cloak and teleport to charge back up!

Spy changes will help new teleport from being overpowered. It'll be easier to take out the entrances, and will take long enough to upgrade the ent. to lvl 3 again that the other buildings will be vulnerable.

Back