TF2 Blog Update: Calm Before the Storm?

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
In a new update from the entire TF2 team, there is the mention of a significant update on the way after this relatively lengthy period no content updates. Who knows what to expect? Sure the engineer update is in the works but what will it come with?[br]Other TF2 community news includes the Polycount Pack update contest and the migration of the unofficial TF2 wiki to become the official TF2 wiki![br]
[br]I've been a keen user of the TF2 wiki which contains vast information about the game. It fully deserves the official seal of approval by Valve. Check it out here.

It's weird how they are still constantly free DLCing TF2, despite the fact that they don't make any profit out of it.

It's weird how they are still constantly free DLCing TF2, despite the fact that they don't make any profit out of it.

They do make profit, lots of new players still buy TF2 at $20 when they hear about the treatment players are recieving.

They do make profit, lots of new players still buy TF2 at $20 when they hear about the treatment players are recieving.

Of course. No software company does things to be nice. It's always a business matter.

Revenue or profit? Do they make a profit from say 100 new sales if 700000 people or w/e are using their bandwidth to download every DLC?

I'm smelling a new class video hereabouts.

IR EES UT OOPISUD THRAY

I doubt they make much profit, if any at all. TF2 receives consistent free DLC, but at irregular and lengthy intervals. It has been 3 years already, yet the engineer hasn't received any updates yet. This slow release of DLC won't exactly hype up the game and boost sales significantly. If anything, these DLCs function to keep the players playing, but TF2 is not monthly pay, so they make no profit from the current players.

I doubt they make much profit, if any at all. TF2 receives consistent free DLC, but at irregular and lengthy intervals. It has been 3 years already, yet the engineer hasn't received any updates yet. This slow release of DLC won't exactly hype up the game and boost sales significantly. If anything, these DLCs function to keep the players playing, but TF2 is not monthly pay, so they make no profit from the current players.

Apart from the (relatively) dramatic changes that were made to his equipment...

The more players that play the game, the more new players they are likely to attract. The thing with multiplayer games is you need other players to play against. It's almost as if every player is working for Valve but doesn't get paid.

As an Accountant, I can say with almost certainty, that in the first few months Valve would have recouped the development costs for the game (coding or whatever - I dont know). Any new sales now are a bonus.

The costs of delivering new DLC are probably outweighed by the new people that are attracted to the game, and the fact that they have already covered the original dev costs, and the only direct cost associated with each sale now is the bandwidth to deliver it.

Also, remember that they have just opened up to a whole new platform, they probably got a lot of sales from macfags.

Considering the amount of bandwidth Valve leases/uses from their providers. These updates hardly cost them anything. Even when they have the $2 deals for TF2 the cost of delivering the download only costs them a few cents.

Check out this article on Netflix and their bandwidth costs. The average movie costs them around 5 cents to deliver. I'm sure has a deal like this or maybe even better.

http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_...-what-it-costs-netflixs-to-stream-movies.html

Whatever is happening with the TF2 Wiki, I'm just glad they've been made official and those silly advertisements that would come on all the time are being removed.

Some are fantastic but some just don't do it for me at all.

Back