TF2 Kill Cam

SgtSpamBoy

Reaction score
I've read on multiple previews about Team Fortress 2's "kill cam" that is designed to show you who you were just killed by. This seems like an interesting idea that should be helpful, but won't it greatly hurt snipers who have found a good vantage point and want to remain hidden?

It seems to me that as soon as a sniper kills someone from afar, their position will be given away. I don't snipe much myself, but it seems like this could be an issue.

Does anyone have any more information about TF2's kill cam and/or if it will likely be an issue for snipers?

I think you mean sharpshooter. A sniper is someone who get into position, without being seen, shoots 1 person, and sneaks back out without being seen, or before anyone figures out where they are.

Sharpshooters are just people with a good shot and a long range, poerful rifle. They accept that as soon as they pull the trigger, they are found.

Besides, if your ever played TFC, you must know that you can always figure out where the sniper is.

No, I mean sniper - as in the Sniper class.

Some people who snipe like to camp and stay hidden, others like to take shots and keep moving - different methods of play, both valid. For those who like to keep hidden, a Kill Cam would give their position away.

(I have not played TFC but am very excited by TF2!)

It will work out some way - plus valve are trying to push teamplay so a sniper just sitting there won't do much.

Just because its called sniper class, does not make it sniper class. Same as if it had a class thats weapon was a melee attack, but was called sniper, wouldn't be a sniper. It is impossible to "hide" in this game, if you can see your opponent, they can see you. That is called sharpshooting.

As (despite being called snipers) they are sharpshooters, they arn't set to hide, so it dosen't matter.

I think most of the sniper/sharpshooter/whatever positions will be well known. In any case I always find that a well hidden sniper/sharpshooter/whatever is pretty annoying so exposing where they are is a good thing IMO.

When I play TFC and someone kills me via sniping they're either in a noncreative positon ie: sniper tower (2fort) or I can see them ie: blow my head off as running up stairwell (also 2fort). If not they usually don't last too long. I'm also anti-sniper.

It's called a sniper, and it is a god damn sniper. Jesus...

Anyway, the kill cam won't change anything... snipers have never been able to hide in TFC because of map design, people being able to still look around after they're dead before respawning, no prone position, no camo... you get the idea.

Kill cam is cool. Call of Duty has this. And as Letters said, snipers cannot really hide in Team Fortress. In Battlefield 2 they can, but not Team Fortress

Like someone already said, CoD has the kill cam feature. about 95% of the server have it disabled, though. I personally don't like it. Whats the point in sniping if they can always know where you are after u kill them? That defeats the whole purpose of a sniper, imo.

oh well what ever

It's more 'sniping cos of opportunity' than 'sniping positions, ha!'

Most players are going to play long enough to work out where the general sniping positions are, no point hiding them away. Should be sniping on the move in anycase...

I don't mind this feature at all. It seems to me that camping snipers are really only safe from players who don't know the map well and can't figure out where their killer could have been. So it would help people learn the map better. Even with a lot of places for camping snipers to hide, it isn't that hard to figure out where he is. Most sniper spots are well known so if they stay there they are not that safe. But most go there because they are far away from the action and they hope the enemies are paying more attention to his team in front and not scanning the windows etc. That's too bad because I like coming around a corner to pick them off or throw a nade at em. :D

And it won't affect those that are on the move. Actually, that feature could be taken advantage of by the killer pretty easily. A lot of people probably do this even without the "kill cam". Move to a different point of view. The enemy you killed comes back to the location looking for you while you watch him from another spot. Since he probably won't see you first, you get to kill him again.

I just want to say that the 'Kill Shot' does not necessarily give away a location. It could be done so that only the model is shown and the surroundings are removed/replaced by some retro design of some sort.

To truly make them funny (as it sounds like they're supposed to be) and potentially save-able, they would have to make them a bit more interesting somehow. Perhaps juxtaposed with your dead self flying backwards? I don't know. If it's just a pic of some guy that killed me, why should I ever want to save it?

[ed]

If he's far away, anyhow.

Just because its called sniper class, does not make it sniper class. Same as if it had a class thats weapon was a melee attack, but was called sniper, wouldn't be a sniper. It is impossible to "hide" in this game, if you can see your opponent, they can see you. That is called sharpshooting.

As (despite being called snipers) they are sharpshooters, they arn't set to hide, so it dosen't matter.

You are wrong on so many levels. The class IS called sniper, that's the name they give it, so that's its name. We're talking about a game here. You might also complain that the soldier is a misnomer because real soldiers can't propel themselves by shooting rockets at their feet. Oh no.

And you can hide in the game. TFC in Well I learned how to snipe from the water above the pipe and from behind the ladder before it was common knowledge. You could get 20 or 30 kills without the enemy team figuring out where you were from the water because only the tip of your hat stuck above the water, and it was in a dark corner so nobody noticed. I could just keep knocking them down as they try to cross the bridge.

Thats one level. One is not many.

Ironically, you can only name an "invisible" hiding spot on one level, or rather, map.

As you rightly point out, its a game, so we can accept the fact that soldiers can blow themselves across the map without dying. However, this is not about realism, its about the class. The soldier is the "main" force, no major skills, just armour and a gun and numbers. Just like real soldiers.
The scout moves fast and relies on this to escape, rather than straight fighting heavier opponents. Like a real scout would.
etc etc through ALL the classes EXCEPT fricking sniper, which is someone who relies on range to do his work, but NOT stealth. Yes, congratulations, you managed to find a spot on one map that makes you hard to locate, however, the simple fact is that in almost all maps, the sniper relies not on stealth, but on killing their opponent before they get into range, then ****ing off sharpish before they respawn.

Go and read some military history about snipers, and law enforcment history about sharpshooters and then tell me the name fits.

And why did you bring back a month old thread to argue with me about something that half a ton of other people have already done, using the same freaking arguments.

It was already brought back when I posted, it was 3rd from the top. And the point still stands that it is a game. If you are going to go by military accuracy, then the engineer isn't an engineer because military engineers don't build sentry guns, the maps make no sense, there is no military demoman, the spy can't turn invisible, and the game becomes Battlefield

I though it was just a freeze shot of your death and a turn toward whoever killed you. If thats the case, then valve probably made the camera just position itself so you only see yourself dying and not the sniper. Besides, we haven't seen the kill cam yet, and everyone may have the wrong idea about it.

I only brought up the idea because having the camera focus on the guy who just killed you is not new at all, yet we have heard it specifically mentioned in two articles. It could simply be that the game itself is humorous and thusly killshots become so, but that in itself doesn't really seem a feature worthy of mentioning.

I think it sounds like a really good idea. I always like knowing who killed, so i can go and hunt them down next time.

Back