TF2 Update 11/6/14 Adds Mysterious Bread

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's safe to say that's the silliest title I've ever had to write for this website, but fittingly so as it feels like this will also be the weirdest article yet. An update released to Team Fortress 2 earlier today has introduced some rather odd item drops in the form of bread which is randomly dispensed from Engineer Teleporters on rare occasions after being used.

slide-jpg.24791

The bread cannot be interacted with in any way, and will simply fall onto the ground once spawned. As such, the bread currently serves no purpose and has likely only been introduced to tease the community about an upcoming update. Given the fascination with TF2-themed alternate reality games, it seems likely that this cryptic inclusion will serve a purpose similar to that of the doves from 2011 or the crafting items from 2012.

A number of other code fragments found within the game files also hint at the potential upcoming release of numerous weapons, including a Mortar, the B.A.S.E Jumper parachute, and the previously scrapped Nailgun and Concussion grenades. Several game modes and features are also hinted at, including a "Bread Monster", a new CTF-style game mode, and much more. It remains to be seen if all of these features will be introduced sometime soon, but its looking pretty likely given their sudden inclusion into the game's code.

In case you were wondering, there are currently nine different varieties of bread, including the Baguette, some Burnt Toast, some Cinnamon Bread, Cornbread, a Crumpet, a loaf of plain white Bread, a Pretzel, a Bread Ration, and a loaf of Russian Black Bread. It is currently unknown if the types of bread directly related to any of the nine character classes, as speculated by some members of the community. The bread theme has previously appeared all throughout Team Fortress 2 media, including during Day Two of the Two Cities Update, which featured the Medic's pet bird Archimedes flying away with a pretzel stuffed comfortably in his beak, and atop some crates in the background of the Adult Swim short.

The update also introduced numerous minor changes for taunts and the Eureka Effect, which can now pick up buildings while allowing the Engineer to teleport to his teleporter exit at the cost of decreased update and repair rates. For a look at all of the changes that have been introduced in this update, check out the official changelog over on the TF2 Wiki. Get those tinfoil hats ready, it looks like we'll need them pretty soon.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 68,518
Brain "Bread" = Brain Dead = Walking Dead = Zombies = Half Life 3 Left 4 Dead 3

It's one for each of their nationalities/culture, maybe? Pretzels for Medic, Baguette for Spy, English Muffin for Demo (close enough), the Russian bread, ration for Solly, cornbread for Engi, Cinnamon Bread for Pyro (sweets), toast for Scout (?), and maybe the other bread for Sniper?

It is burned.

Could be. I still think it's the Cinnamon Bread personally, because we can assume Pyro has a sweet tooth, with lollipop flowers growing out of the ground. Might be wrong. We will find out in due time.

Could be. I still think it's the Cinnamon Bread personally, because we can assume Pyro has a sweet tooth, with lollipop flowers growing out of the ground. Might be wrong. We will find out in due time.

Cinnamon bread is the one with a swirl on it, the burned bread is the one with a dark patch in the middle.

Cinnamon bread is the one with a swirl on it, the burned bread is the one with a dark patch in the middle.

I know, I was talking about the swirl one being his. However, the toast logically is more fitting, I guess.

The one in the Tin Can is for the Soldier, it looks like something he'd eat, if you look close it says bread ration.

Back