TF2 will be retail...thats final.

tokin

Reaction score
I emailed Gabe and got a response this morning...here is what he said.

"TF 2 will be sold as a stand-alone SKU at retail, over Steam, and, I am sure, at some point it will get put in the same box as HL-2.
We didn't say anything about TF-2 at E3 because it would have gotten mixed up with the HL-2 stories."

Well that pretty much explains it, im not going to keep arguing on about this but he said at some point they might put it in the same box. Well what does that mean? They arent going to make HL2 retail and then make a shit more load copies a few months after with TF2. It would mostly be TF2 through steam for $$ but you will have to have HL2 or HL2 will include TF2. This kinda blows...:(

haha...Tokin u look so dumb now it's incridible hilarious!!!!
mooklol.gif

and you where so sure...LOL!

anyways about the box stuff it means this!

HL2 will be retail-standalone

TF2= will be retail stand alone, also aviable thru steam.

but they might make a HL2 Gold edition or game of the year edition...which will be HL2 & TF2(for some reason maybe because they're just developers of both...since nothing seems to tie them together(since TF2 won't be mod))

but who knows...maybe they've changed the TF2 univers to have something to do with HL2.(e.g. freedom fighters vs. combine) we don't know, but I doubt it...

Im so :flame: and :( oh well let's see what happens in the future....

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE
but who knows...maybe they've changed the TF2 univers to have something to do with HL2.(e.g. freedom fighters vs. combine) we don't know, but I doubt it...

That would be cool.

Originally posted by tokin

"TF 2 will be sold as a stand-alone SKU at retail, over Steam, and, I am sure, at some point it will get put in the same box as HL-2.
We didn't say anything about TF-2 at E3 because it would have gotten mixed up with the HL-2 stories."

Well that pretty much explains it, im not going to keep arguing on about this but he said at some point they might put it in the same box. Well what does that mean? They arent going to make HL2 retail and then make a shit more load copies a few months after with TF2. It would mostly be TF2 through steam for $$ but you will have to have HL2 or HL2 will include TF2. This kinda blows...:(
Alas, Tokin, that's just smart marketing. More money always takes precedence in the business, my friend. Even with a company as great as Valve. It's too bad, but no big surprise to me.

-Vert

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE

that would totally suck, IMHO.
resembles FLF way.. too much.

Originally posted by righte0us
that would totally suck, IMHO.
resembles FLF way.. too much.

lol..and how is that?

I just love the way people reason on this board...lol!
mooklol.gif

Originally posted by tokin

Uhhh... Im having a hard time believing that. I dont think Valve would give out information to some random fanboy and not state it to the public.

I dont think its smart marketting at all to release it seperately. The only thing that kept HL1 alive was CS and TFC, the rest of the mods are wak. Well dod sorta helped, barely. But anyway, CS and TFC helped keep HL1 alive for 5 years. And Im sure that HL2 would not live nearly as long without the help of the two most popular mod sequels, in which case you believe will be seperate addons. They will have TF2 and CS2 live for a while but leave HL2 to die because it wont have it's two most popular mods' sequels to help it out.

Yeah dude Gabe told me that through email and it was going to be for retail anyways along time ago and still is. I think I know what they will do though, most likely HL2 will be released and steam and then TF2 will be released through steam for like 30 bucks like sometime early October...im hoping but they may wait 6 months.

Yeah, Gabe has already responded to other emails regarding HL2. They havn't made an announcement about it because they don't need to. They are concentrating on HL2. They have no reason to suddenly fire off an email to all the big news sites saying "Oh yeah, by the way, TF2 will be a stand alone retail game".

HL2 will be released and steam and then TF2 will be released through steam for like 30 bucks like sometime early October...im hoping but they may wait 6 months.

Think this is what were Expecting ..Think TF2 will probs come out either just after TF2 release ( late october) or Christmas time.

Re: Re: TF2 will be retail...thats final.

Originally posted by THUGENSTEIN
Uhhh... Im having a hard time believing that. I dont think Valve would give out information to some random fanboy and not state it to the public.

I also e-mailed gabe about some stuff, and he answered... that's the suorce of the birds information in the "gordon's crowbar" news post :>

Gabe said he likes talking to the "little" user, he also said he doesn't mind if we call him up about questions, as long as its on a decent time of the day...

Well games that are gonna take alot of time and money are'nt gonna be free dl.

Back