TF2's Sinking Ship

Nathanjo

Medic
Reaction score
After watching star's recent video I think my outlook on this update has changed its like,
TF2 team seems to have this kind of collective a.d.d, All they do is put out new things then forget about them, Replays being a good example.

They need to seriously overhaul the entire game, Maybe source 2 will save us? Im totally unsure about where they're going except that its in the wrong direction, Overwatch is starting to look more and more appealing, But I can't leave TF2. Its like an old dog, You loved it so much at one point, You couldn't sleep, Eat, Or do anything without thinking about it. But it's time now Its to old to move, It lies around the house in depression.

In the end though when the tsunami that is overwatch crashes down onto the tiny ship that is TF2,I wont let go of it, Ill hold on till the end. Because I remember a time when that shitty little boat...

Was a Yacht

I must say, I agree; but I'm coming at this from a different angle. Being a relatively new convert to PC based gaming, I've heard a lot about 'the Glory Days' of Team Fortress; and I can see a really good game buried underneath the rubble of hats. I just wish I could actually play that game. More often then not, I find myself on a server of people only looking for a hatish trades, or people who kick you immediately because you don't have a 'high tier hat' or are using an unconventional weapon layout. There are maps I have never heard of, let alone played through.

It's... not infuriating... 'tiring' I suppose is the right word. I don't want to play a game because it has 'a nice economy' or 'cool cosmetics'. I want to play a game for the bloody gameplay.

I must say, I agree; but I'm coming at this from a different angle. Being a relatively new convert to PC based gaming, I've heard a lot about 'the Glory Days' of Team Fortress; and I can see a really good game buried underneath the rubble of hats. I just wish I could actually play that game. More often then not, I find myself on a server of people only looking for a hatish trades, or people who kick you immediately because you don't have a 'high tier hat' or are using an unconventional weapon layout. There are maps I have never heard of, let alone played through.

It's... not infuriating... 'tiring' I suppose is the right word. I don't want to play a game because it has 'a nice economy' or 'cool cosmetics'. I want to play a game for the bloody gameplay.

Uhm Are you only joining trade servers or something? Ive never heard of someone being kicked for not having nice hats or even using a bullshit loadout, Try looking for Valve's servers or some other good sever hosts like fire powered

Probably should have specified, being kicked when not having conventional weapons or 'leet' hats were when trying to join MvM matches. Those people are cruel.

Probably should have specified, being kicked when not having conventional weapons or 'leet' hats were when trying to join MvM matches. Those people are cruel.

ah yes, TF2 has a awesome community with some really nice people, but MVM is apparently where we put all the assholes

Do any of you get the feeling that CS is starting to go the same way?

Do any of you get the feeling that CS is starting to go the same way?
Not even close.

Not that TF2 is actually as small or dead as people like to believe, it still having 3 million active players and all. Sure, that's a super small figure compared to Dota 2's 10M active and CS:GO's 4M, but it's still 3 million people playing the game on a regular basis.

Being a relatively new convert to PC based gaming, I've heard a lot about 'the Glory Days' of Team Fortress.

The "Glory days of Team Fortress" were before TF2......it was the old Team Fortress Classic days. Brings back memories..............

team fortress 2 started out as a harvey dunn painting, but as time went on people began crowding around it and throwing their own feces at it. in an effort to clean the mess, the artist attempted to rub out the kaka, but it was to no avail, for he only smeared it in permanently

team fortress 2 started out as a harvey dunn painting, but as time went on people began crowding around it and throwing their own feces at it. in an effort to clean the mess, the artist attempted to rub out the kaka, but it was to no avail, for he only smeared it in permanently
Perhaps the finest of artistic metaphors I have read in a great long while.

The game is a ****ing mess. Optimization wise, and gameplay wise. Stopped playing a long time ago.

The game is a ****ing mess. Optimization wise, and gameplay wise. Stopped playing a long time ago.

I play steel Highlander (9v9) And they really have their shit together, More than half the weapons are banned and all elements of randomness like Crits and Damage Spread are gone.

When you wipe all the bullshit off pub servers TF2 can actually be really balanced and fun, I totally reccomend anyone whos tired of the randomness and casual-ness of pubs to start playing comp

I totally reccomend anyone whos tired of the randomness and casual-ness of pubs to start playing comp

I didn't really wan't to join the competetive community, because I'll get my ass kicked. I played the game for a quite some time, but I am no near as good as the people who play competitively. I also don't wan't to dedicate a large portion of my time to getting better, when I just wan't to play once in a while for fun.

Valve spitefully put their foot down on content creators revenue. reducing the once thriving its very worth it 25% to below 10%. The workshop people have no incentive anymore, same with youtube revenue - if they gutted those up-loaders. There will hell to pay and utube uploads would stop.

But the revenue will keep coming and goes to Valve/Google - **** VALVE. And they can take what uploads remain and milk that dry for years to come and not pay content creators anything.

the content uploaders went hand in hand with this thriving community, they love the games. gamers loved the items they were making. creators were getting a healthy 25% of revenue (25%? still think Valve are not greedy?) despite that it was lovely. but now valve remind us they are greedy worse than EA.

This why TF2/DOTA2 is dying, it started as far back as 2015, invasion update caused a stir of drama. Since then they reduce the share down to near nothing. Valve have all the leverage over all steam users.

Dota 2 will last longer than tf2 at this stage, with tf2 updates that broke the camels back. ****ing hell - valve are evil shit heads.

And valvetime is too much of a fanboy and does not give criticism to Valve enough, if any.

Its no secret Valve - enjoy FREE LABOR. remember interns in STS? that went on for years. a decade even for some of them. Then everyone knew and they all got fired - even though they weren't on the books.

anyway this latest fiasco you heard recently it was in the news. no communication from Valve that we know of except stuff like this leaked email

http://i.imgur.com/JPgqv9E.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?s=cfcf0c442a3bb44adc2af3cdcb9e87c0&t=1356457&page=5

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/62afnv/a_response_to_dota2s_workshop_situation/

Last edited:
Every dog has his day. Hats didn't kill TF2, time did.

Streaming era:

Team Shooter --> MOBA --> Hero Shooter --> Battle Royales --> ???

What's our next move, oh so discerning public?

Last edited:
What's our next move, oh so discerning public?

Beats me: quite frankly I've just decided to burrow myself in a proverbial ditch and play old cyberpunk first-person shooters from the late '90s/early '00s. The competitive environment revolving around CS:GO and Overwatch is particularly toxic and probably only good for drunk nights; can't stand nor will play battle royale-type games; and the rest is for whoever wills it. I'm having a joy of a time myself playing classics I never got to and revisiting childhood games for nostalgia.

Back