The art of redirection...

smsKONG

Reaction score
Hullo everyone, I'd just like to ask you guys and gals a quick question.

What do you good people think of the abuse of the server redirect ability?
Now I'm not talking about redirection being used to move people who join an already full server (or practically full rather), to send them to a 2nd server which still has available slots (as was used by teesside uni recently to get their 3rd server busy when it went 24/7 italy).

I'm talking about filling a server with bots, or even just a few bots with many spaces for players- which then sends the unsuspecting parties to a totally different server, which has nothing to do with the original... ie misrepresenting themselves to get extra players on their main server.

I only ask since a friend of mine is currently having some trouble with fragmasters.
They have a habit of naming a server to try and target a niche, or as has happened in the past, trying to steal well established servers players by calling the redirecting server something similar to an already thriving server.

In case you hadn't realised I despise this practice, not for myself, since I would never connect up to a server filled entirely with bots that looked a bit suss. But there are many new players out there who get caught by this type of thing...

Oh, and it's not like fragmasters are the only ones guilty of this, as I have seen many servers that could only be for this kind of thing. But fragmasters got my back up the most by the really immature way they deal with any criticism of them doing this- they delete the offending post and hide under their blankets.
(they did it to teesside uni- they called themselves uni of teesside 4 when the uni had only 3 css servers running- the main man from the uni posted on their forums, to ask why they thought they could use the name of private business to steal their players away...needless to say fragmasters deleted it like it had never been written, eventually they changed the name to something else but mainly due to the uni dealing directly with jolt who provided fragmasters servers...but they still use similar ploys now)

Back