The AWP, what is it exactly?

A

Azlan

I keep seeing people talking about awp whores in cs:s. I don't see a weapon called that? I've only been playing cs for the last two weeks, and only casually. Can someone explain to me what it is and why it's so great?

Its a (almost always) one hit kill sniper rifle. People hate it because its so strong. Its the green one with the big scope.

css-awp.jpg

HL2.net said:
A.I. Arctic Warfare Magnum

In the hands of a good sniper, you have next to no chance of getting away alive from this weapon. It's just like any other sniper rifle, but, unless you're lucky enough to be shot in the foot, one shot from this bad boy will kill you. The weapon is incredibly inaccurate while moving and has a slow rate of fire. With this one you need to get your tent out and set the fire burning.

Primary Attack: Shoot.
Secondary Attack: Zoom in/zoom out.

so why is it called an awp? It is called the magnum sniper rifle in the game isn't it?

Thats the one. I think I could be classified as an awp whore.

AWP- Arctic Warfare Police or something. Same thing as an AWM I guess.

AWP = Artic Warfare Police.

CS-Nation said:
It should be noted that, due to an oversight, this weapon is usually called the AWP, Arctic Warfare Police, but it is actually an AWM, or Arctic Warfare Magnum.

It used to be called the AWP = Artic Warfare Police but in cs source its name is changed to magnum sniper rifle but ppl still cal it Awp

It still is the awp in the console. Same way the deagle is still a deagle in the console, even though it's called a "night hawk" or somesuch in the buy menu.

Its a rifle incorectly named built by accuracy international.
A fine rifle, they have got the magazine capicity wrong though i believe.
You can get 5 or 8 round box in real life not 10.

Can't nobody make a patch to fix weapon names, why aren't the real names used anyway? Other games use real names too so I guess its not forbidden :)

The media can't be changed,just go with it.

Bluestrike said:
Can't nobody make a patch to fix weapon names, why aren't the real names used anyway? Other games use real names too so I guess its not forbidden :)

They have to pay companys to do so. so they just replicate the gun and give it a different name, but if you look in the console when it says "Billy bob killled 1337 H4xOR with Water Pistol" it sometimes has the real gun names, i know it says Ak47. I think this may have been a miskate?

Correct me if im wrong.

Bah it should be the other way around because the game is advertising the guns :)

I think the reason that the real names are in the code is because the orriginal CS used the real names and they didn't want to search/fix the code when making the retail releases of cs and cs:s and just changed them in the interfaces.

Sieg said:
The media can't be changed,just go with it.
it can be changed i recently downloaded a patch that changes all of the names to the original cs 1.6 names

There's also a mod that changes all weapon names to it's real-life counter-part.

You shouldn't be wanting realism in CS...I mean come on, let's see you pull the forward assist on an M4 (which is on the wrong side in CS, BTW) after loading a magazine in and see if your carbine fires or not. Or try racking the slide on your USP a few gazillion times and see if you still have ammo in the pistol after that. Or magically reloading the MP-5 like a pump-action shotgun (what the hell, the forgrip is not movable, where in the world did people get the idea from that it racked like a pistol slide?)

Ahh... a fellow gun nut. CS:S is not for thoses seeking realism. It is basically a less refined 1.5 with good gfx.

Azlan said:
I keep seeing people talking about awp whores in cs:s. I don't see a weapon called that? I've only been playing cs for the last two weeks, and only casually. Can someone explain to me what it is and why it's so great?

someone prolly answered this a dozen times, but the AWP is the Arctic Warfare Police (or Magnum)... it's manufactured by Accuracy International I believe.. here are some real life specs on the Magum and Police (M & P)

Accuracy International AW
SPECIFICATION
Caliber .308 Win .243
Stainless match grade Barrel length 26 inches with muzzle brake
Barrel twist 1 in 12
Magazine capacity 5 and 10 shot
Weight 13 lb / 5.9 kg
Overall Length 46.4 in / 117.8 cm
Front locking, 3 lugs, integral sight rail, machined from solid ordnance steel bar
Bolt 60 degrees opening, 6mm (0.24”) striker fall
Color Black or Green
Two stage, fully adjustable Trigger
Alloy chassis enclosed by scuff resistant, reinforced nylon stock sides and fitted with 5 slingloops and adjustable butt spacers.

Accuracy International AWP
SPECIFICATION
Caliber .308 Win (7.62 x 51 NATO) or .243
Stainless match grade Barrel length 24 inches (20 inch optional)
Barrel twist 1 in 12
Magazine capacity 5 and 10 shot
Weight 14.3 lb / 6.5 kg
Overall Length 44 in / 112 cm
Front locking, 3 lugs, integral sight rail, machined from solid ordnance steel bar
Bolt 60 degrees opening, 6mm (0.24”) striker fall
Color Black or Green
Alloy chassis enclosed by scuff resistant, reinforced nylon stock sides and fitted with 5 sling loops and adjustable butt spacers.

Accuracy International AWM300
SPECIFICATION
Caliber .300 WM
Stainless Fluted match grade Barrel length 26 inches with muzzle brake
Barrel twist 1 in 11
Magazine capacity 5 shot
Weight 14.3 lb / 6.5 kg
Overall Length 47 in / 120 cm
Color Black or Green
Alloy chassis enclosed by scuff resistant, reinforced nylon stock sides and fitted with 5 sling loops and adjustable butt spacers.

-- this info is from TAC PRO SHOOTING CENTER ---

AWP is the original name from pre-steam CS... and the noobs nowadays call it AWM which is okay.

AWP has also been called Noob Cannon... which only has partial truth to it... is someone else here cares to explain.

AWP is considered whoring bc of the almost one shot kill ability (hitting a foot may cause 90+ damage)... I dont think so though HAHA!

Good luck in Source!

It was changed to AWM before 1.6...it might have been around beta 6.6 or early 7s.

Bluestrike said:

Click here for real weapon names replacement.

Anyone else salivating when looking at the weapons specs? :p

the term AWP and AWP whore got so populair just live with it, it's a tradition, now go and follow it :p

^heh

Not if your planning on eating the meat after you shoot it :upstare: Don't think there would be much of the deer left

Back