The biggest disappointment of Half-Life 2

The biggest disappointment of Half-Life 2

• Total voters

joule

Tank
Reaction score
What is it, do you think?

Please don't get me wrong. Half-Life 2 is a phenomenal game, but there were some minor problems. Hell, it was the best game PC game I have played in my entire life. :bounce:

EDIT: I was gonna put more, but there is a limit of only 10 options.
Some others were:
No manual
Only one splatter effect for paintbuckets
Low-res textures in huge outdoor scenes

the strider bink level would have kicked ASS

My biggest disappointment isn't on here. There was a quote in PCGamer: "Remember that inpenetrable wooden door that wouldn't break, no matter what you threw at it? It might as well be made out of steel or concrete. Well, in Half-Life 2 *insert amazing hyperbole here*..."

Guess what. There were still inpenetrable wooden doors. Some doors were even textures, not even objects. That is what annoyed me the most - for all of the interactivity, there was always something to bring me out of the game.

guchi said:
the strider bink level would have kicked ASS

Also, in the Traptown video I was SO looking forward to throwing that grenade under that steel crate to knock it down on the combine.

Makes no difference to me though. The game rules (aside from the constant studdering for me).:thumbs:

Probably the stuttering, which is more of a technicality than a game flaw.

Missing areas that were shown in the BINKs,

could somebody tell me about this ?

Gorgon said:
Missing areas that were shown in the BINKs,

could somebody tell me about this ?
Watch the BINKs, then play the game. You'll see.

Such as: Docks, Traptown, Striders, Barricade, etc.

Squadmates getting in your way = Faulty AI, so I voted that.

Bobcat said:
Squadmates getting in your way = Faulty AI, so I voted that.
I meant the faulty A.I. for the enemies, not your squadmates. That is why I made both options separate.

Squadmate AI really bugged me... it was decent, they just got in my way constantly. And they were no help when I got lost! I didn't expect them to be, but still :p And yet I still felt bad when they died ;(

All of the above. missing OICW, Gauss gun (The one you can carry). Where is the flamable grenade for the combine rifle we've seen in the bugbait movie? Where's the Hydra? the A.I and Physics isn't like valve said. Painkiller has the same exact physics. And FarCry has the same A.I if not better... Aleast you can sneak in FarCry.

The stuff in the video's that weren't in the final game and also the over-hyped AI.....

i want more weapons damnit!! and more enemies, and more zombie parts, and more@!!!! but hl2 is the best

Missing weapons.

Sniper Rifle would have been awesome! (I know there wasn't a screenshot of this..but it really would have been awesome to have one)

"Sorry Gordon."
"Excuse me, Gordon"
"Lemme get out of your way."
"Oops, sorry"

/sighs

What in the John Denver is going on? I mean, I like the idea that there's a lot of mystery in the game and everything, but there are more questions now than there was before. We never even get to see the combine with their masks off. Are they human? Is it like a boring Darth Vader thing? That was a little annoying.

Oh and that sound stuttering thing. Pretty ridiculous for a game that took as long as it did...

There should have been more/better gore and carnage.

HL2 filled all my exceptations and more except...
Combines don´t kick my doors in.... ;(

joule said:
I meant the faulty A.I. for the enemies, not your squadmates. That is why I made both options separate.
If there was anything faulty about the enemies it would be that they didn't put up enough of a fight.

I found them quite good, not super, but not bad either.

The fact that you could see shadows of people from the floor above you.

aku ankka said:
HL2 filled all my exceptations and more except...
Combines don´t kick my doors in.... ;(

that's it. they seemingly aren't that clever.

honestly my buddies didnt bother me that much when they got in my way, atleast they moved instead of just standing there like in other games.

my biggest problem isnt listed: MULTIPLAYER!

but the stuttering was really annoying

Why? said:
my biggest problem isnt listed: MULTIPLAYER!
I chose not to list that because that is a-whole-nother topic. I tried to stick with the game itself, not the "supposed" multiplayer. It wasn't promised anyway. And...we might just get it next week. Hey, you never know. :E

Also because, they is a 10 option limit on polls.

yeah i guess multiplayer isnt that bad since someone is bound to mod it yay to stuttering lol

Elspanyl420 said:
We never even get to see the combine with their masks off. Are they human?

look on all the monitors in Nova Prospekt (press use to see all the camera views). one shows a combine soldier without a mask or top half of uniform.

not that that tells us anything, cos the combine soldiers are just (trans)humans helping the entities holding the real power.

look on the monitor in breens office for a brief view of one such entity.

Sometimes I really think there are multiple HL2's for sale, or DVD's with corrupt files or something, because with me, the AI is good, the best out there by far. Sure, they may not kick in doors (they do try to find different ways in when a door is blocked, or I've heard that they even throw nades through window, never had that though) or try to create atomic bombs from materials they can find to flush you out of your hiding, or set up traps like dressing up like a hot girl who's car broke down, but in combat, there's no better.

I've got an example in a demo file, if someone wants it, I'll mail it, it's 5 megs however. And it'll probably crash your PC, I never 'stopped' the recording, just hit 'playdemo' :D
It crashes my PC, but hey, could be worse :E
And mind you, these soldiers were fighting immortal resistance, otherwise they would have won. You won't see them rushing in blindly, but they take cover, advance when they see a hole and retreat if threatened. If you know a game with better AI, tell me, I'm looking forward to playing it.

Pvt Ryan i almost agree with u, but two things about combine soldier AI could be improved.

1) when u kill a bunch of combine violently (eg by dropping a shipping container on them) i would expect all others who saw it to run for cover, not just stand there shooting at u waiting to suffer the same fate.

2) when they decide to charge, nothing stops them except death, not even several direct hits. this just comes across as stupid and suicidal.

when we get a full SDK i think i'll mess around with improving the soldier AI, if only for my own replay value.

Gordons_nan said:
The stuff in the video's that weren't in the final game and also the over-hyped AI.....

Pretty much the same: things we were told/shown in the videos, screenshots, and comments by Valve in general that never made the cut.

The thing i really expected was the many maps you've seen as harbor and that place where you throw the grenade under the container :'( Or where you block a door with a table, and the combine thinks alittle, then decides to kick the door in...

I also expected the gravity gun to lift ALL dead, hell even alive creatures, how awesome wouldn't it be to suck a headcrab up with the manipulator and give it a flying experience before it crashed into its death? Hehe...

Or OR!! It would have rocked were if you could cut all monsters/combines into pieces instead óf only at the waist..
Ex. take some sharp object and throw into a striders leg so it decreased its ability to walk? hehe

The hydra woulda been pretty kewl too, besides all that, half-life 2 is currently the best game i've ever played. :afro:

i personally rekon the hydra would have been total shit to fight..... just like a glorified friggin limpet.

fragShader said:
Pvt Ryan i almost agree with u, but two things about combine soldier AI could be improved.

1) when u kill a bunch of combine violently (eg by dropping a shipping container on them) i would expect all others who saw it to run for cover, not just stand there shooting at u waiting to suffer the same fate.

2) when they decide to charge, nothing stops them except death, not even several direct hits. this just comes across as stupid and suicidal.

when we get a full SDK i think i'll mess around with improving the soldier AI, if only for my own replay value.
Maybe it sucks to be a combine so much that they would rather die than continue being combine. *Shrug*

My only issue with the Hydra is that it reminded me too much of the blast pit worm from the first game. It looked to be essentially the same type of creature and I have a feeling that you would have defeated it in the same way.

Back