The Decline of Music

*flips through playlists*

Nope. You're wrong.

Besides, your whole argument falls apart when you consider an old band like the Bee Gees was well liked. *vomits a little in mouth*

At this point, I find those who whine endlessly about "the decline of music" just as annoying as the admittedly awful mainstream sounds these days.

However, there is, as many others in this thread have pointed out, a lot of good music today

havent posted in a while..hmm

Imo, mainstream music is what is made to appeal to most people. If I grew up in the 60's, I'd have loved bands like the Beatles even more, in the 90's, more grunge perhaps, 80's, maybe electro-pop and metal more. In the late 90's, probably nu-metal and post-grunge, which I used to like alot more back then. But I got to agree though, the top 40 back then was much cooler than now, too much gangsta rap, and pop-punk rehashed.

It's mostly MTV executives, that decide who becomes "big" anyway. Like how they chose these two ******s to become "big".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqQS5o4Khag

How much I hate them....

Get over it. You don't have to listen to it, and they only force it upon you if you watch MTV/other generic music channels/stations, in which case it's your own damn fault. Listen to the tunes you want to. Don't complain about the tracks other people are making.

Ehh, I thought it was rather uninspired. Rihanna occasionally makes pretty catchy tracks, though.

It bothered me at first because of the dragosta din tei shit, but I got used to it. Because at work the ghetto kids would control the radio. So I got to hear the song about twenty times a day.

At my job Corporate provides us with a few different channel free stations to choose from and I swear it just plays the exact same thing everyday. I worked on Thursday night and Friday night and heard the exact same songs in a row.

At my job Corporate provides us with a few different channel free stations to choose from and I swear it just plays the exact same thing everyday. I worked on Thursday night and Friday night and heard the exact same songs in a row.

Because obviously people want to hear those songs. Its not a decline of music you're seeing, its a shift in musical taste. These things DO happen after all. Why would a radio station who's purpose is to have as many listeners as it can play music that fewer people want to listen to? There is a lot more music out there that are pushing the boundaries of music then music that is stagnant and rehashing ideas. However, many artists get attention for going back on other's ideas and reworking them, this is just how today's mainstream music works. Just wait for everyone to get bored of it all and for the internet to finally grow into a viable music distribution entity, then finding the music you're interested in will become a lot easier, and who knows bands who are trying to do something different might actually get into the mainstream we all love to hate.

Mainstream music has always been mostly shit. I agree the direction it's going in now sucks, but music itself isn't in decline, it's business as usual. There are ****tons upon ****tons of excellent artists out there right now, most of which have never been mentioned on MTV or Pitchfork or in Rolling Stone.

Because obviously people want to hear those songs. Its not a decline of music you're seeing, its a shift in musical taste. These things DO happen after all. Why would a radio station who's purpose is to have as many listeners as it can play music that fewer people want to listen to? There is a lot more music out there that are pushing the boundaries of music then music that is stagnant and rehashing ideas. However, many artists get attention for going back on other's ideas and reworking them, this is just how today's mainstream music works. Just wait for everyone to get bored of it all and for the internet to finally grow into a viable music distribution entity, then finding the music you're interested in will become a lot easier, and who knows bands who are trying to do something different might actually get into the mainstream we all love to hate.

I never said that the radio station playing the same songs two days in a row was a decline, I was directing that to lefty since he said:

It bothered me at first because of the dragosta din tei shit, but I got used to it. Because at work the ghetto kids would control the radio. So I got to hear the song about twenty times a day.

Everyone is wrong. I'm wrong if I try to declare which music is good and which is bad. That's the point of music, it's aimed at different people who appreciate. I mean my god I'd rip my ears off before being subjected to country music, but theres shitloads of people who love it and despise the music I like. There is no "decline" of music, just you happening to dislike lots of the popular music today and feeling that it's a sign of the times.

This, Kinda.

Rap, and some of the Pop coming out now lacks one or more of the key elements of music. Since you all seem to know so much about everything (Haha... hah.) you will already know that the 4 elements of music are:

Melody, Harmony, Rhythm, and Dynamics. Rap, for instance, has no Melody, or Harmony, therefor, not music. Also, I have never personally heard a very dynamic rap song, or punk song for that matter. Punk is no more a form of music than a toddler beating on his mother's pots & pans, which, if I do say so, quite resembles modern punk rock anyway. This rap "music" is just a bunch of guys sitting around making up words that sound alike, making up a beatbox beat (Which would take literally seconds for anyone with an IQ higher than an acorn) that they can talk around, and put some irritating white noise behind all of it. That is not music, that is a get rich quick scheme, and we're all ****ing stupid enough to say "HEY! DAT BE MOOZIC!" (That is indirect, by the way, for any of you willing enough to miss the point so much that you focus only on this, claiming "I never said that!")

I agree with another post when I say bring back the 70's, maybe early 80's. Even Metallica ran into this wall after the Black album. I can only imagine if some of the great artists like Mozart and Beethoven were alive now, what their reactions would be... That was music at it's finest. Any of you ever heard moonlight sonata? You name me one single rap/punk/bubblegum(puke) pop song that expresses any percentage of the emotion and talent that this song has. You can't. I think it's up to the musicians to make a stand and start writing real music again.

Nothing in the industry has any raw feeling anymore. What happened to Montrose? Van Halen (First 4 albums, not the rest)? Metallica (Up to 84, with the stuff they had... when they actually felt something)? AC/DC is the only thing worthwhile anymore. Yet, they use the same chords over and over again... But it still has all 4 elements. And I know, most of you like the new Metallica album, but you can't really think that it measures up to their old stuff... I like it too, but something about it just doesn't feel quite as sincere as Master of Puppets... (James' [used to be] powerful voice, for one.)

I guess some of you need to start letting us in on all of this underground stuff you have, because I lost hope for music a long time ago.

What the hell are you talking about.

:|

You can't just simply say something ''isn't music'' because it doesn't fit the guidelines you are so accustomed to. Furthermore, you can't come out and simpy say ''rap'' doesn't have this, that or the other when there is no ****ing way you have heard every single rap artist out there. Let me guess, you've heard a few 50 Cent tracks or Eminem videos and this is the basis of your argument. Even if that isn't, it doesn't matter what you have heard because you haven't heard it ALL and you never WILL, and that's the AWESOME thing about music - theres so much of it and theres so much variation going on every second.

Unfortunatly, you are everything this thread has already shot down - far too stuck in the mainstream to even consider that there may be something new out there, you just haven't found it yet.

I'd like to finish here but just going back over your post makes me angry. To say rap artists are just a bunch of guys sitting around making up words to get rich quick is really ****ing ignorant. Go listen to some Themselves, Immortal Technique, Subtle or Why? and get yourself proven wrong.

Oh, and I can name a song that really hits me on an emotional level. I can name hundreds. How the hell did you even bring yourself about to come into this thread and blindly claim that NO ONE will be able to name a song that they really enjoy. Why the hell should it be compared to Moonlight Sonata? Why can't it just be a piece of music as a standalone, and not always having to weigh up to what the history books call the ''classics''. **** that. I'll take Modest Mouse's The Moon & Antarctica over any of that shit anyday, and I know which one I'll be feeling amazed by every time.

What the ****, man.

AC/DC is the only thing worthwhile anymore. Yet, they use the same chords over and over again... But it still has all 4 elements.

I can't stand AC/DC, I mean their songs are okay but the drums(in all the songs I've heard) are exactly the same.

I guess some of you need to start letting us in on all of this underground stuff you have, because I lost hope for music a long time ago.

Just look at what people are listening to in the what are you listening to thread and look up some of the artists.

I'd like to finish here but just going back over your post makes me angry. To say rap artists are just a bunch of guys sitting around making up words to get rich quick is really ****ing ignorant. Go listen to some Themselves, Immortal Technique, Subtle or Why? and get yourself proven wrong.

Listen to Flobots as well.

I enjoyed your broad, sweeping, and often incorrect statements. Did you like making them? It looked fun. Pity you had to waste all that time on something essentially pointless considering what people have said earlier in the thread.

[at Van_Halen.]

[edit - I got a flow so cold chicken soup won't help]

I can't stand AC/DC, I mean their songs are okay but the drums(in all the songs I've heard) are exactly the same.

Just look at what people are listening to in the what are you listening to thread and look up some of the artists.

Listen to Flobots as well.

Yeah, I got Fight With Tools a while back but I only really like Mayday!!! Couldn't get into the rest but I'll probably listen to it some more over Christmas. They got potential.

Get over it. You don't have to listen to it, and they only force it upon you if you watch MTV/other generic music channels/stations, in which case it's your own damn fault. Listen to the tunes you want to. Don't complain about the tracks other people are making.

The "you don't have to listen to it" argument is interesting. What if we were forced to listen to bad music? Is that worse than being forced to listen to good music?

Yeah, I got Fight With Tools a while back but I only really like Mayday!!! Couldn't get into the rest but I'll probably listen to it some more over Christmas. They got potential.

I like Mayday!!!, Fight with Tools, Handlebars, Anne Braden, We are Winning and Rise.

Van Halen's post made me so very angry. But I'll let Antipop's excellent retort do the speaking.

The "you don't have to listen to it" argument is interesting. What if we were forced to listen to bad music? Is that worse than being forced to listen to good music?

I think being forced to listen to music you dislike would suck, yeah. Being forced to listen to music you do like would also suck, eventually.

What the hell are you talking about.

:|

You can't just simply say something ''isn't music'' because it doesn't fit the guidelines you are so accustomed to. Furthermore, you can't come out and simpy say ''rap'' doesn't have this, that or the other when there is no ****ing way you have heard every single rap artist out there. Let me guess, you've heard a few 50 Cent tracks or Eminem videos and this is the basis of your argument. Even if that isn't, it doesn't matter what you have heard because you haven't heard it ALL and you never WILL, and that's the AWESOME thing about music - theres so much of it and theres so much variation going on every second.

Unfortunatly, you are everything this thread has already shot down - far too stuck in the mainstream to even consider that there may be something new out there, you just haven't found it yet.

Oh, and I can name a song that really hits me on an emotional level. I can name hundreds. How the hell did you even bring yourself about to come into this thread and blindly claim that NO ONE will be able to name a song that they really enjoy. Why the hell should it be compared to Moonlight Sonata? Why can't it just be a piece of music as a standalone, and not always having to weigh up to what the history books call the ''classics''. **** that. I'll take Modest Mouse's The Moon & Antarctica over any of that shit anyday, and I know which one I'll be feeling amazed by every time.

What the ****, man.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear that I was talking about mainstream... And you are right, there is good rap, but I was speaking of the guidelines they teach when you are being taught the theory, and practice of music. It really is an essential part of music, weather you want to think so or not.

Also, I never said name ANY song from any genre, I said name any song from Rap, Modern Punk, and Pop that has that emotion. I know there are other songs with a lot of emotion, but the story of The Moonlight Sonata is what makes me like it so much, and that is why I used it as an example. You have to be honest, it is a great piece of music. Not necessarily the best, by any means, (There will never be such a thing) but it is great none the less.

AC/DC is more dynamic than in just the beat, their licks and solos change with each song, and with each passing song Brian writes about something different. There are several songs that do have dynamic beats by AC/DC, such as The Razor's Edge, and TNT, though not that much different, he does add a few extra bass notes.

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear that I was talking about mainstream... And you are right, there is good rap, but I was speaking of the guidelines they teach when you are being taught the theory, and practice of music. It really is an essential part of music, weather you want to think so or not.

I never said anything was or wasn't essential.

Also, I never said name ANY song from any genre, I said name any song from Rap, Modern Punk, and Pop that has that emotion. I know there are other songs with a lot of emotion, but the story of The Moonlight Sonata is what makes me like it so much, and that is why I used it as an example. You have to be honest, it is a great piece of music. Not necessarily the best, by any means, (There will never be such a thing) but it is great none the less.

And I never said I COULDN'T name a song from any of those genres. I can, actually. Off the top of my head I can think of loads right away that I find to be truely wonderfull pieces of music that may be considered rap, punk and pop. Genres are variable, but I'll play along just for kicks. Punk, to me, is probably one of the most emotional genres out there because of how raw and energetic it can be. Unless you're still swimming in the mainstream hearing the likes of Blink 182 or Green Day then this is the kind of argument I expect from you - and it's a very linear and uneducated argument to go around suggesting someone - a human being, who is totally different from the next guy - can't relate to a song that might be a genre you just happen to not like. It's ridiculous. But hey, I guess some people can relate to both Blink and GD, too, but what do I mind. I don't care what the next guy thinks.

For the record, Moonpies for Misfits (a little odd that the word 'Moon' has been mentioned so many times now, I must say, haha), a hardcore punk song by Hot Water Music is probably one of my favourite songs ever and it means a hell of a lot to me for personal reasons. It'll tear me up well more than Moonlight Sonata ever will, but hey, everyone is different. You like that, I like this, the guy over there likes them... who cares, really?

AC/DC is more dynamic than in just the beat, their licks and solos change with each song, and with each passing song Brian writes about something different. There are several songs that do have dynamic beats by AC/DC, such as The Razor's Edge, and TNT, though not that much different, he does add a few extra bass notes.

Not really sure what you're getting at here as I don't really care what AC/DC do. I don't care how ANYONE makes their music, I just want to be able to sit down and enjoy it.

I agree with everything Antipop is saying here. There's no prescriptive quality to music, if someone records themselves hitting a bunch of tin cans in their room with no discernible rhythm, and they want to try to sell it and call it music, that's fine by me. There is nothing "essential" to music, there are no requirements, prerequisites, or necessary ingredients other than some form of sound.

If you want to start arguing about whether or not a given genre is truly 'music', you might want to go and listen to noise music. There is no noise only sound

Also, while I somewhat agree with them, I can't help thinking that a lot of the people here who are saying that "duh, mainstream is crap" have a really bizarre conception of what is 'mainstream'. Isn't MGMT mainstream? Aren't Arcade Fire pretty damn famous? Hasn't just about everyone I know listened to Modest Mouse at some point? Likewise for Radiohead? What about bands like Hadouken! and Does It Offend You Yeah? who are known to every Brit under the age of 30, regardless of their actual quality? And isn't Kanye West pretty good too?

The meaning of 'mainstream' and the pre-eminence of things like MTV in deciding what 'mainstream' means (plus a corresponding increase in the importance of the internet, myspace, etc) are now greatly diluted. Judging by this thread, the term is ceasing to become useful.

I've noticed this too. I often find myself listening to 70's-90's rock lately. The newer stuff mostly sucks nowadays imo. Apart from a few bands like Foo Fighters.

Oh dear... Please spare him, he knows not what he brings upon himself... Read the rest of the thread first, Saturos.

I've noticed this too. I often find myself listening to 70's-90's rock lately. The newer stuff mostly sucks nowadays imo. Apart from a few bands like Foo Fighters.

Listen to this nymph among dragons.

Listen to him.

I never said anything was or wasn't essential.

Maybe not, but you referred to them as guidelines, as though they weren't important.

And I never said I COULDN'T name a song from any of those genres. I can, actually. Off the top of my head I can think of loads right away that I find to be truely wonderfull pieces of music that may be considered rap, punk and pop. Genres are variable, but I'll play along just for kicks. Punk, to me, is probably one of the most emotional genres out there because of how raw and energetic it can be. Unless you're still swimming in the mainstream hearing the likes of Blink 182 or Green Day then this is the kind of argument I expect from you - and it's a very linear and uneducated argument to go around suggesting someone - a human being, who is totally different from the next guy - can't relate to a song that might be a genre you just happen to not like. It's ridiculous. But hey, I guess some people can relate to both Blink and GD, too, but what do I mind. I don't care what the next guy thinks.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree, even if every punk song does sound just like the last.

For the record, Moonpies for Misfits (a little odd that the word 'Moon' has been mentioned so many times now, I must say, haha), a hardcore punk song by Hot Water Music is probably one of my favourite songs ever and it means a hell of a lot to me for personal reasons. It'll tear me up well more than Moonlight Sonata ever will, but hey, everyone is different. You like that, I like this, the guy over there likes them... who cares, really?

Quite right, and as I stated last time, I don't want you to say you like it, nor do I care. I'm simply saying you can't say that it isn't a very emotional song. It's not my favorite song either, hell I don't really like it that much, but i can appreciate more so what went into that piece than anything else I hear today. (Though, maybe this is due to my brother listening to "The Devil Wears Prada," and thinking he's as hardcore as my Pantera. If you haven't heard "The Devil Wears Prada" don't, because you will bleed from the ears. It's a mix of pop singing with screamo... weird.)

Not really sure what you're getting at here as I don't really care what AC/DC do. I don't care how ANYONE makes their music, I just want to be able to sit down and enjoy it.

I was referring to another user's post.

I agree with everything Antipop is saying here. There's no prescriptive quality to music, if someone records themselves hitting a bunch of tin cans in their room with no discernible rhythm, and they want to try to sell it and call it music, that's fine by me. There is nothing "essential" to music, there are no requirements, prerequisites, or necessary ingredients other than some form of sound.

Well, here's the thing, weather or not that person calls it music doesn't make it music. I don't think they would sell anything with a recording like that anyways. It would have no pattern, therefor not music, therefor just noise, therefor driving the listener insane. :p

I couldn't get into any of those bands you guys just listed. I tried, but I think I'm looking for something a little heavier than that.

Maybe not, but you referred to them as guidelines, as though they weren't important.

I don't think they strictly have to be important, or foundations, no. I also quite enjoy music that does use them as a guideline. At the end of the day, I don't really mind what the musician does as long as it sounds good to my ears. That's his/her choice.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree, even if every punk song does sound just like the last.

No, see... you're doing it again. You're making sweeping generalizations about something you can't possibly know or comment about.

Quite right, and as I stated last time, I don't want you to say you like it, nor do I care. I'm simply saying you can't say that it isn't a very emotional song. It's not my favorite song either, hell I don't really like it that much, but i can appreciate more so what went into that piece than anything else I hear today. (Though, maybe this is due to my brother listening to "The Devil Wears Prada," and thinking he's as hardcore as my Pantera. If you haven't heard "The Devil Wears Prada" don't, because you will bleed from the ears. It's a mix of pop singing with screamo... weird.)

Yes, I can say that. I don't enjoy that particular peice of music therefore I've no time to bother... bothering about it. I don't mind if YOU want to appreciate it for whatever reasons, just don't bring it up as a comparison to something else. If we spent all day comparing one object to another, how can we really enjoy something as a standalone for what it's worth? Well, I don't believe in that, anyway. You (and others) may, and that's cool, I guess.

Well, here's the thing, weather or not that person calls it music doesn't make it music. I don't think they would sell anything with a recording like that anyways. It would have no pattern, therefor not music, therefor just noise, therefor driving the listener insane. :p

I couldn't get into any of those bands you guys just listed. I tried, but I think I'm looking for something a little heavier than that.

Heavy, huh?

Try Cavity - ''Laid Insignifficant'', Godflesh - ''Streetcleaner'', Zozobra - ''Bird of Prey'' and Harvey Milk - ''Life... The Best Game in Town'' (I think you may like Harvey Milk, but who knows)

Oh yeah? Oh nooooo

I saw Wolf Eyes at Supersonic and it was goddamn insane.

. . . .Can someone please explain to me the point of this thread?

Yes, the radio sucks. we all know that. Good job....

although i am glad there are people out there that agree with me that

1. The Devil Wears Prada is not hardcore (although i do like them)
2. AC/DC tends to be the most repetitious band ever and
3. Does It Offend You, Yeah? and Flobots are awesome.

I've noticed this too. I often find myself listening to 70's-90's rock lately

This is actually usually a symptom of the fact that there is obviously a lot more OLD music than there is current music. Good stuff is almost always few and far between, but when you can look back over 40 years of a genre, there will be more good music than you could ever listen to. But I'd never stop looking for good current artists either.

I keep finding myself listening to classical music lately, it's starting to scare me because I'm now listening to softer more "romantic" kind of classical music.

I gotta say though old music is good and some new artists are ok but other just take the "style" that's in and start to expand on it which in a few months after a release makes it turn to garbage. It's the cycle of music, mainstream artists come in for a couple years then drop off and fresh new faces pop in to take their place and thus the cycle continues. Only on an occasion do bright artists truly stand out and make themselves noticed with a different approach to music and really grasping listeners.

EDIT: Now I'm listening to They Might Be Giants.

I keep finding myself listening to classical music lately, it's starting to scare me because I'm now listening to softer more "romantic" kind of classical music.

I gotta say though old music is good and some new artists are ok but other just take the "style" that's in and start to expand on it which in a few months after a release makes it turn to garbage. It's the cycle of music, mainstream artists come in for a couple years then drop off and fresh new faces pop in to take their place and thus the cycle continues. Only on an occasion do bright artists truly stand out and make themselves noticed with a different approach to music and really grasping listeners.

EDIT: Now I'm listening to They Might Be Giants.
ZOMG. Another TMBG fan!

This rap "music" is just a bunch of guys sitting around making up words that sound alike, making up a beatbox beat (Which would take literally seconds for anyone with an IQ higher than an acorn) that they can talk around, and put some irritating white noise behind all of it. That is not music, that is a get rich quick scheme, and we're all ****ing stupid enough to say "HEY! DAT BE MOOZIC!" (That is indirect, by the way, for any of you willing enough to miss the point so much that you focus only on this, claiming "I never said that!")

oh man you're so stupid. I agree that some..no a lot of rap songs are like that but there are PLENTLY of really good rap songs. Who cares if there is no melody or whatever, sometimes it's mostly about the lyrics and message the singer/rapper is saying/trying to convey. There are plenty of non-rap songs which are just as dumb as the rap songs you describe, just don't generalize rap if you're some nerdy ass white kid who's afraid of black people because you believe that every black person is going to rob/hurt you like they do in the movies.

oh man you're so stupid. I agree that some..no a lot of rap songs are like that but there are PLENTLY of really good rap songs. Who cares if there is no melody or whatever, sometimes it's mostly about the lyrics and message the singer/rapper is saying/trying to convey. There are plenty of non-rap songs which are just as dumb as the rap songs you describe,

You were making a good point up untill this part:

just don't generalize rap if you're some nerdy ass white kid who's afraid of black people because you believe that every black person is going to rob/hurt you like they do in the movies.

which destroyed everything you might have achieved with the earlier part of the post.

Back