The etymology of your alias.

^ Keep in mind GOD DAMN isn't my real middle name.

Lol, I know. Still man, Bacon as a last name? Sweet.

I'll just pretend I didn't learn of it. No harm done.

I got this screen name when playing my first online game, Half Life Deathmatch. The first map I played on was the horrendous "Killbox" map, and I joined a server with just two other people on it.

My name was whatever the default was in those days, probably "Player." The other two guys in the server were voice chatting and were just kind of screwing around.

When I logged on, one of them was like,

Guy 1: "Oh who is the other guy?"

Guy 2: "I dunno, some noob."

*After about 5 minutes of me running around and not knowing what to do*

Guy 2: "Hey, you."

Guy 1: "Yeah?"

Guy 2: "Not you, the other guy"

Me: "Yeah?"

Guy 2: "Are you new?"

Me: "Yes."

Guy 2: "You can change your screen name by going into options"

*I change my screen name to 'theotherguy'*

It stuck.

Formerly Kadalyi-polokov which is a name that momentarily appears in Phil.K.Dicks 'Do androids dream of electric sheep?':-

"Mr. Deckard?" the man asked with a Slavic accent. "The bounty hunter for the San Francisco Police Department?"
The empty taxi rose, and the Russian watched it go, absently. "I'm Sandor Kadalyi," the man said, and opened the car door to squeeze in beside Rick.
As he shook hands with Kadalyi, Rick noticed that the W.P.O. representative carried an unusual type of laser tube, a subform which he had never seen before.
"Oh, this?" Kadalyi said. "Interesting, isn't it?" He tugged it from his belt holster. "I got this on Mars."
"I thought I knew every handgun made," Rick said. "Even those manufactured at and for use in the colonies."
"We made this ourselves," Kadalyi said, beaming like a Slavic Santa, his ruddy face inscribed with pride. "You like it? What is different about it, functionally, is — here, take it."
He passed the gun over to Rick, who inspected it expertly, by way of years of experience.
"How does it differ functionally?" Rick asked. He couldn't tell.
"Press the trigger."
Aiming upward, out the window of the car, Rick squeezed the trigger of the weapon.
Nothing happened; no beam emerged. Puzzled, he turned to Kadalyi.
"The triggering circuit," Kadalyi said cheerfully, "isn't attached. It remains with me. You see?" He opened his hand, revealed a tiny unit. "And I can also direct it, within certain limits. Irrespective of where it's aimed."
"You're not Polokov, you're Kadalyi," Rick said.
"Don't you mean that the other way around? You're a bit confused."
"I mean you're Polokov, the android; you're not from the Soviet police." Rick, with his toe, pressed the emergency button on the floor of his car.
"Why won't my laser tube fire?" Kadalyi-Polokov said, switching on and off the miniaturized triggering and aiming device which he held in the palm of his hand.
"A sine wave," Rick said. "That phases out laser emanation and spreads the beam into ordinary light."
"Then I'll have to break your pencil neck." The android dropped the device and, with a snarl, grabbed with both hands for Rick's throat.

However over the years I've reduced it down to Kadayi as it's a lot less hassle for typing, and a bit easier for people to say (though an alarming majority still can't type it correctly it seems) :dozey:

I got this screen name when playing my first online game, Half Life Deathmatch. The first map I played on was the horrendous "Killbox" map, and I joined a server with just two other people on it.

My name was whatever the default was in those days, probably "Player." The other two guys in the server were voice chatting and were just kind of screwing around.

When I logged on, one of them was like,

Guy 1: "Oh who is the other guy?"

Guy 2: "I dunno, some noob."

*After about 5 minutes of me running around and not knowing what to do*

Guy 2: "Hey, you."

Guy 1: "Yeah?"

Guy 2: "Not you, the other guy"

Me: "Yeah?"

Guy 2: "Are you new?"

Me: "Yes."

Guy 2: "You can change your screen name by going into options"

*I change my screen name to 'theotherguy'*

It stuck.

Who's on first?

My buddy had a typo be his name for like three years in FPSs. His name is Paul, but he mistyped and wrote "Pail" and just decided it was a fortuitous turn of events and kept using it.

I was playing a character called Reginald in a play at the time and I was like "that's a pretty freaking epic name" so I used it in Planetside. It was the first of what was intended to be a string of "posh, upper-class names" used in various online games; I had a Planetside alt called Terrance (a play on the faction Terran Republic) for example.

But Reginald just ended up sticking. I love it now.

I also have a couple more that I use for things where Reginald is taken (it's worrying how often it is taken, am I being usurped? D: )

ClockworkApricot (sometimes with an underscore) is an obvious take on A Clockwork Orange.
Then there are a couple of others that are still used in places that I've been a member of for a long time that aren't really worth mentioning. I reckon I'll always be Reginald. Have been for 6 years now.

Romhair still thinks the underscore variation is better
To me you'll always be Q_onfuzled.

My first attempt at a handle was Cyberus. I thought this was a clever play on Cerberus, me being twelve and trying to come up with a username to play Red Alert 2 with, it wasn't. Due to not understanding network protocalls and shit I never actually got to play it online (still never have).

ríomhaire has a pretty simple background. I wanted something that wouldn't be taken (as it turned out [email protected] actually was taken, as was ríomhaire on YouTube), something unique and tells something about me. Ríomhaire is the Irish for computer. I sort of realise that that was a bit silly as no one on the internet has no idea how to pronounce it, but I suppose Rim-Fire solves that. I've started using it in different contexts now. My laptop is named ríonhaire, my USB stick is named cnámh (Irish for bone, and by extension limb, and by extension branch, and by extension stick, ie, USB stick, it's a really bad pun).

Green Floyd, because Cannabis is Green and Floyd is pink.

Need I say more?

My name is Patrick. I like motocross. Moto-x is an abbreviation for motocross. Therefore, Moto-x_Pat. The underscore shows its age. I came up with it when I was like 13 for a Medal of Honor: Allied Assault forum. At age 20, I now consider it super lame.

My name is Patrick. I like motocross. Moto-x is an abbreviation for motocross. Therefore, Moto-x_Pat. The underscore shows its age. I came up with it when I was like 13 for a Medal of Honor: Allied Assault forum. At age 20, I now consider it super lame.

You can always get your name changed dude.

But make sure you have a five week long super saturated advertising campaign so that we all know what you'll be changing it to. And make sure it's a cool name.

Well, since motocross is not lame, it's cool, so Moto-X is fine. It all depends on you, really.

Anyway, it's not like it's Training Wheel Pat, or Tricycle Pat <----actually that would be pretty funny and could be cool.

In early middle school, AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) became pretty popular. Trying not to have something dumb as my screen name, I tried to steer clear of any numbers, catchphrases or references to any popular media at the time.

TC - are my initials
from - is a word
BN - stands for Bad News

My screen name pretty much says who I am and where I'm from, Bad News being the nickname for Newport News (the area in which I lived at the time). And even today, my SN makes perfectly good sense assuming you understand the abbreviations (providing me some sort of security).

There was a period of time, namely all of my days on BF2, where I went by NeoPhyte. Neophyte is Latin for beginner (literally: new sprout), though that name in itself wasn't truly my own creation. An older friend went by that alias on the good old PS2 game SOCOM 2. I thought the name was kinda cool, and stole it for use on BF2. Neo was what many called me, and all I could do was think of the Matrix and trench coats.

I kinda had mixed feelings about that, though it was catchy and easy to remember. There were a select few other places where I went by that name, but soon enough, it went as easily as it came. It was back to TCfromBN.

TC caught on in many places and was just as catchy and easy to derive as Neo was. Having been nicknamed TC in real live for some time, it only made sense and was easier for me to recognize when people were addressing me.

So, here I am today, back with the same screen name that I created about 8 years ago. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Azner just came up when i was playing counter strike. Thought it was nice kept with it. Found out 3 years later that Azn meant Asian so it worked better than i thought it would.

Mine is from an AIM account I made when I was in the 5th grade. I read this joke book that had this lame bit about a lifeguard named "sinky" and I thought "UMFFG THATS THE FUNNIEST SHIT EVER HOLY **** YES".

So I tried to register the account as "sinky", taken, "sinkyman", taken, "sinko", taken, "sinkoman", also taken, but the page suggested I try to register as "sinkoman3". I was all "**** that sinkoman III is way cooler".

Now when I register on forums and stuff, sinkoman generally isn't taken, so I use that. I think before this my online avatar was "privateporkster" because we were picking on my fat little cousin and his step sister started calling him "private porkster" cause he was always playing with toy soldiers. Again, I thought it was the funniest thing ever, so I used it.

Back