The final hours is online

This is great! Geoff Keighly did an awesome job and it is quite lengthy, too. I just finished watching that Developer Interview with Gabe Newell. SWEET!

Fantastic read. Just finished all of it :D

I honestly feel so very very sorry for valve. They have worked so unbelieveably hard to make this game and have put up with so much stuff. Its incredible. It really is.

If any valve staff read this: Congratulations. You've done it. And thankyou. :)

marksmanHL2 :) said:

I honestly feel so very very sorry for valve. They have worked so unbelieveably hard to make this game and have put up with so much stuff. Its incredible. It really is.

You said it man. :)

Valve detractors will be eating their own crap once the game is out.
Maybe the developers should take a long vacation, i'm sure as hell they deserved it.

An excellent read.
If this article has shown me anything, its that the developers get shit all for there efforts (7 Dollars is quoted).
I have bought the retail version (CE) of Half-Life 2, mainly due to not having any experience with steam. But from now on, I will buy via steam!

Yeah, I am just hopeing more independant developers see steam and make an investment.

I mean, this could be huge if just one more large company took the initiative. :)

I thought there was gonna be a review? (Terrific write up BTW, awesome work gamespot)

A huge well done for Valve, I hope you are all millionaires....you deserve it.

Valve have worked there pants off to create this game and I think we should all dedicate this forum to congratulate them. Again, cheers valve for all your effort!

just finished, took me half an hour to read.

I LOVE YOU VALVE

after reading that gabe seems to be even more likable to me! a great person and the greatest game developer of all times! hope he'll get even richer by selling half life 2 :E (i think there is no doubt about that ;))

Finished it! It took me like an hour to read it through. Very good article, told me alot of thing about production of HL2 that I didnt know. I´d like to see the "Get ur free TV:s"-demo :)

ALL HAIL GABE AND VALVE SOFTWARE

(lower case so the forums don't remove the caps)

Very interesting. This is one of those articles that reminds me I will have a SDK to work with after beating the game...

I'm sure today Gabe will receive tons of nice e-mails!

That was good stuff! I could only imagine what it's like to be a Valve programmer for the last 20 months. 20 hour work days, working to meet a deadline that you knew couldn't happen. Man that's stressfull. My hat goes off to all the Valve developers. This will definitely be worth the wait. Gabe was right? We want this game to be revolutionary. Not just some more of the same kind of stuff that you'd play for 3 months and shelve. Good call.

That was A fantastic read! I felt so sorry for Gabe on the day the poor guy had to go the the alcatraz party on sep 30th

"After five long years, the team can't bear to wait another six hours."

Well, guess what the fans are feeling Valve? =)

CTTcrew_MrBlue said:
That was A fantastic read! I felt so sorry for Gabe on the day the poor guy had to go the the alcatraz party on sep 30th
Same here :(
Man, what a read! And what a great company Valve is!
The past year(s) have been hell for them...I'm so glad Gabe got to smash that scanner after all he's been through. Thank you Gabe for being who you are! And thank you Valve for making great games! :)

Been waiting years to read that- wait, no, I've been waiting years to play the game. In a few short days I'll retreat to my desk and no one'll see me until I crawl out, starving, but sporting an idiotic grin of gamer happiness.

So, no conspiracy theories, no blaming of hackers (not that they ever have done, regardless of popular opinion), just the realisation that, for all their creative genius, Valve are only human. Forgive and forget? Pfft, the only thing I'd have considered "unforgivable" would've been the release of a crap cash-cow sequel.

Is that a possibility? F*ck no.

Man, I'm topped up full of fanboy-happy right now. AND IT FEELS GOOD! GO VALVE!

Awsome read to me for ever , TEAm fortress 2 STILL alive i was like omg wtf

marksmanHL2 :) said:

yeah... that part where a Valve employee asking Gabe if it were the end of Valve really makes u think how bad it was and how bad it could have gotten..

it really does take a special group of pple to bounce back from something like that and deliver a game which still impresses the hell outta fans.

well done Valve WELL DONE!! :thumbs: :cheers:

I'm at the part where they talk about Zombie basketball, that sounds hilarious, I hope it's released as a mini game! Good read so far, makes me want HL2 even more.

Wow, is there a massive spoiler in one of the area sketches, or is this old news? Don't say I didn't warn you, if you decide to look :|.

That was an awesome read! I really have to hand it to gamespot.

I have two questions.

Who is Yahn? Why is he specifically mentioned?

"For me that moment will come when I get to hand Yahn's wife a big check and say, 'All those promises we made about building an exciting company and the value that your husband represents to us are true,'" he says.

My thoughts about that line ties in with this one.

We absolutely have chewed people up on this project," he admits while walking through the lobby. "You can really burn people out on projects like this." Then he adds a rather ominous footnote: "Sometimes they never come back."

That seems quite ominous like it says... I wonder if its tied in with this Yahn guy and why gabe is waiting to hand the fat check to his 'wife' and not him. Did something happen to this guy? Did he take the issues with HL2 too seriously? That would totally suck. I'm sad ;(

Noone knows who Yahn is in the team? Or am I being a paranoid freak? lol

Yahn bernier, lead engineer or something of that sort... probably took up Mark's place... my speculation though.

I love that that german **** is in jail now.

Very interesting read, I never knew about the hacker (what went on behind valves closed doors) I think its GREAT the way Gabe tried to fool the hacker into thinking he would get a job, what an idiot the hacker was to beileve that, he would be dead before he finished his first day at work.

Great read.

Back