the flying "cam's" concept art from trailer

simon

Spy
Reaction score
i thought i saw all the concept art/screens, but this is new to me,
don't think it hase been posted here already

22.jpg

Yep they are the concept art for those flying things gorden fights in that hallway.

they look cool when they hit the walls and sparks come off.

They say iris shrink when pissed. Should be iris widens, like Michael Corleone in godfather 2 when kay tells him she had an abortion.

Now THATS angry.

the godfather flying things rar

Btw where did you get the pic?

it's not the robots he fights in gamespot movie, that are different ones, these are the cam's you see guarding people in City 17 in the trailer, the robots he fights hase blades that spin around.
imho

"Btw where did you get the pic?"

www.halflife2.nl

Originally posted by simon
it's not the robots he fights in gamespot movie, that are different ones, these are the cam's you see guarding people in City 17 in the trailer, the robots he fights hase blades that spin around.
imho

"Btw where did you get the pic?"

www.halflife2.nl

The one on the bottom right is the "combat version." Those are the ones he fights in the hallway video.

Yep, simon, the things in the hall just fly about an cut shit up :D I love it when Alyx turns to the window in the E3 vid, you faintly see stuff go past and she says 'scanners'. That would be really creepy ingame, like knowing something will come but not knowing what :D:D

I just thought of something... the scanners come past, then a strider blows through the wall. Also when the combine thing is eating the city two striders come out. Could they actually be on the combines side? I always assumed they were aliens...

Originally posted by Bad^Hat
Could they actually be on the combines side? I always assumed they were aliens...

Well .. you are right on both counts :)

They ARE on the combine's side, even Gabe confirmed it. And the Combine are aliens (Gabe said so in the video).

Aside from flying around and cutting shit up they could also be probes, they fly around to observe, hunt for you and alert nearby bad guys via 802.11g :LOL: or something like that.

Nope. These are the "scanners" that you see best in the teaser vid. They are much bigger than the things Gordon fights in the sewer cooridor, and they move very differently.

Originally posted by Apos
Nope. These are the "scanners" that you see best in the teaser vid. They are much bigger than the things Gordon fights in the sewer cooridor, and they move very differently.

Yes, exactly, but the one on the bottom right, with a green frame around is what the spinning thing in the video looks like. As you can see it is much smaller relative to the scanners.

First of all, nothing about those drawings says that they are in scale with each other: in fact the upper left one IS drawn smaller than the middle one.

But more importantly, the spinning thing looks very different than the thing on the bottom right. It's a vertical structure for one thing, with the blade on it's "waist" and then these metalic fin things sticking down at odd angles.

Certainly they might have similar features if they are both combine constructions. But it's definately not the same thing as in the concept art. The thing in the video looks like a weird can of coffee mounted on a spinning blade with tripod fins and a red eye on the bottom.

Ok, but you have to admit that it doesn't look like the other 3 (even if they "reconfigure" themselves). As far as the vertical position, it might change it's angle for attack.

If it's not the one in the video, then it is an entirely separate drone.

Sure: but the concept art doesn't have any sort of huge spinny blade. It doesn't have stabilizing fins on the bottom. And it doesn't have on eye on the bottom, it's has a huge eye in the front with a grill. The vid thing doesn't have a grill on the top part.

If it's not the one in the video, then it is an entirely separate drone

Chances are it is a rejected version of the floating cams. That's the purpose of concept art, to try out many different designs and put the best one into the game. The three big pics are versions of the floating cams from the teaser vid. The spinny hallway things look much different. I totally agree with my Apos on this one.

my guess is, the cams are simply to guard people, if one runs, it opens it's side "weapons" anders fires the fugitive, killing him + requesting for backup from the groundtroops.

the things in the hallway where gordon is in battle with are pure "search and destroy" kinda things whom the let lose in a building they want "cleared", it's only attack weapon is the 2 spinning blades.

thats my 2 cents :)

first of...you have to be careful comparing concept drawings to what you actually see ingame or even compare concept drawings with eachother.

I think what we see here is the cam-bots and none of them are the spinning blade thingies, since none of them seems to display spinning blades.

I think the on on the bottom right might actually be a peeled cam-bot....same as the rest just without the shield/casing to try and show what it looks like inside.

The bottom right one is the scanner in attack mode. Read the comment down bottom, it is folding out to fight.

Actually I've also heard a comment that the spinny thing (it has a name... hlcentral says it) is in actuality the flying headcrab. Perhaps it cuts the head off before inhabiting it's host?

Good point... actually I think there's a pic of a flying headcrab somewhere (I'll edit here when I find it).

[EDIT] - Bah I was mistaken, it's just a antlion :D

they are not the thing Gordon fights with the crowbar. They are cam bot things like the scanner/ maybe ARE the scanner.

the combat mode im guessing is just for self defense and it says they "fire" so how can they "cut up shit" like the one gordon fights if their weapon "fires".

Kam

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE

I think the on on the bottom right might actually be a peeled cam-bot....same as the rest just without the shield/casing to try and show what it looks like inside.

the fact that the picture says "Cambot #1" would suggest it is merely an early version of the cambot, as its concept art im guessing that the 3 big pictures are what the final "concept" design is and therefor what the models in the game are based on.

Kam

Originally posted by Bad^Hat
The bottom right one is the scanner in attack mode. Read the comment down bottom, it is folding out to fight.

Actually I've also heard a comment that the spinny thing (it has a name... hlcentral says it) is in actuality the flying headcrab. Perhaps it cuts the head off before inhabiting it's host?

the Headcrab has no metal on it let alone spinning disks. If HLCentral call it a flying headcrap then maybe its because they cant think of an original name. Unless there is a TINY headcrab inside controlling it there is NO way that that is a flying headcrab.

Kam

Originally posted by Apos
There is one in the main E3 video, it appears at the window when Gordon is talking to Alyx, but you really only see the light, not the scanner itself. We can infer from the trailer video, though, that this is what would be out spying on them, and then alerts the Combine troops (hence the sudden appearance of the Strider).

I should ask Gabe whether these are based on the while beach-balls in the old TV show The Prisoner. They served the same function, but could almost read minds or something. Actually, City 17 has some interesting parallels to city/island in The Prisoner. Any one else ever that show? It was great.

Originally posted by urseus
Yep they are the concept art for those flying things gorden fights in that hallway.

they look cool when they hit the walls and sparks come off.

They say iris shrink when pissed. Should be iris widens, like Michael Corleone in godfather 2 when kay tells him she had an abortion.

Now THATS angry.

Wrong. The ones in the video has some sort of saw, that one doesn't.
Those are Scanners.

The drawing is labelled 'cambot'. I wonder if we'll get to fight Gypsy and Tom Servo, & Crow....

Those things are called scanners. The buzzsaw things are different.In the Gamespy vid, Alyx mentions them. Every1 at Planet Halflife noes they are scanners.

Back