The Future

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
So while we're still all reeling from the shock of this whole Mynecraft fiasco, I figured I'd toss this thread up so we can have a centralized place to casually discuss where we might go from here. What our options are now, what we want to do with the server, etc.

For example, Hokey had mentioned possibly starting it up again on his computer since he'll soon be getting his second one and will not be as "drained" by the experience. There's also other paid services out there, though I am obviously suspicious about all of them now and I don't personally want to be involved in any of those dealings since I failed so miserably on the last one.

I know some people have mentioned starting the server anew to start a clean slate, have a new world fresh with biomes, etc. I also know the thought of leaving all that tremendous amount of time and effort behind would be painful for you guys. Some of you don't really have a choice at all, since everything you've created has been made since Mynecraft and thus lost since we can't access the world files.

Really guys, start discussing in here. Even if you sort of strayed away from our minecraft sessions since going with mynecraft, which I know many of you have, I'd like to hear your opinions on these things. Nothing completely serious, just tossing ideas around, getting a feel for how people feel about new homes, fresh server start, etc.

Whatever we do, we gotta start thinking positively. The whole last month has been almost entirely negative. Sure, we had the tentative excitement of finally letting someone else do all the work while we had the fun, but boy that sure cooled down fast.

I also think whatever avenue we choose, we need to be sure we have away to access all the underlying files at any time. No gimmicky proprietary website access shit like Mynecraft had running. Whether this be a personal computer like Hokey had going, or a VPN or whatever.

I kind of want to start over fresh myself, just to wash the slate clean. I've invested a lot of time in mynecraft, made some things I'm really proud of... spent countless hours doing it too. I think starting over though, I'd be able to do it better. Our world almost seems sort of sullied now.

If we did start over, I think it would be kind of a good idea maybe to have a Spawn Area off limits zone stretching out like 50x50 or 100x100 blocks, with corner markers indicating the area(at least for starters). Something we can preserve at the spawn area and designate for various public buildings aimed at welcoming our new users to the server... newbie donation boxes, instructional signs or just majestic decorations that sort of welcome a user into the world without being the chaotic mess ours had eventually become on our last server.

I also don't think that people will really feel the need to build everything right near the spawn area like happened last time, because we know that we'll be able to find our own secluded plots of land out away from the main traffic areas and still have people be able to appreciate our structures.

Maybe we can try xenonservers? i've bought servers from them and their support is great.

I'm supporting the clean slate - have some sorta building regulations for around spawn and start some community projects early. See if the rail network could work as I think minecarts aren't as buggy. Also make sure we could preserve certain awesome areas, like the old lava falls etc

I haven't been too impressed with what the update has added. The biomes don't seem to add much atm.(too small/inconsistent)

I'd rather not have a reset right now personally.

I think that, whatever we do, Raziaar should be the one in charge of it.

I'd be okay with Raziaar staying in charge, but I'm not sure he'd actually want to be after all of this, which is certainly understandable.

Just know that no one blames you Raz, it was a convincing con and we were all sucked in, as would anyone else have been in your position. I know that doesn't make it any less frustrating, but regardless of outcome I'm very appreciative of what you've done for the server, and I'm sure everyone else is as well. We've lost some progress, but it's happened before and it'll happen again - Minecraft is still in alpha after all, and multiplayer is very unfinished. The important thing is we don't let it get to us, as it'd be a much bigger shame if we were to drop this altogether, as people were beginning to do over the past few weeks. As long as we're set up on a relatively stable server, keep the whitelist intact, and have some admins around semi-frequently, I don't think we can go too wrong.

I kind of want to start over fresh myself, just to wash the slate clean. I've invested a lot of time in mynecraft, made some things I'm really proud of... spent countless hours doing it too. I think starting over though, I'd be able to do it better. Our world almost seems sort of sullied now.

If we did start over, I think it would be kind of a good idea maybe to have a Spawn Area off limits zone stretching out like 50x50 or 100x100 blocks, with corner markers indicating the area(at least for starters). Something we can preserve at the spawn area and designate for various public buildings aimed at welcoming our new users to the server... newbie donation boxes, instructional signs or just majestic decorations that sort of welcome a user into the world without being the chaotic mess ours had eventually become on our last server.
I agree with all of this. Will suck to lose progress on some of my stuff (especially the underground lair, although that was getting pretty tiring), but I also think I could do much better now. I think everyone has made some pretty impressive stuff, but it's a bit of a mish mash, and the layout, especially around spawn, doesn't really have any rhyme or reason to it. Most of us have been around long enough now, and have enough experience to be able to build bigger and better than we have. So yeah, I'd be fine to just chalk the current map up to a 'practice run' and start fresh, if that's what everyone else wanted.

I'd be pretty keen to start over to be honest. I mean, take things that were maybe questionable in the first server and make changes accordingly. Perhaps we could run by the admins where/what we wanted to build so that we could be sure the server could stay somewhat organized.

I think that, whatever we do, Raziaar should be the one in charge of it.
I agree to this, but equally I don't want to be just dumping pressure on him. He put so much time into this already and if he wanted to hand over the lead to someone else I'd totally understand.

I support a clean slate too, but I have precious little on the current server to loose, so it would not affect me so much as it would a lot of other people. I'm also very much in favour of building regulations. The spawn area in the current map is a real system hog for people with slow PCs. Whenever I used the /spawn command playing on my laptop the game would crash and I would have to reconnect to play. It worked fine after that but it was slow as hell too.

With regards to that, I'd suggest keeping the spawn relatively clean, with some group-sanctioned buildings, and then everyone spreads out to establish their own area.

Hey, thanks guys. Your kind comments mean a lot to me.

The guy i had been in contact with about mynecraft before and after the fiasco has said he's moving over to a place called Allgamer.

Honestly, I don't know anything about them.

dont trust mynecraft anymore its not worth it

I'd say start over. I think a clean slate would feel good.

Right now I'd prefer to know that our server is in the hands of a HL2.netter. When Hokey was running it things were so much better.

Raz you have been amazing through this whole thing.

I think starting over would be rather silly, unless we added some MODs into the mix.

On the other server I've been playing on they have a host of interesting features:
[1] Kits: Every 15 minutes or so, you can get a toolkit, some glass, sand, stone, etc. Kinda allows for more time building interesting things & reduced things like raping beaches.
[2] Protected: You can mark off a rectangular area, and have a MOD protect it for you. You can allow, or revoke permissions on your own land. This helps prevent / reduce griefing.
[3] Restrictions: There are hacks that allow grievers to spawn TNT or lava. Instead, you have to be on a certain list before you are allowed to use it...otherwise you have to ask mods to place it for you. (Restricted items include TNT, water, lava, boats, minecarts, and a few others).
[4] Warp: Allows you to warp to preset locations. For example, once the Pyramid of Destruction has been completed, a mod might create a warp called /warp PyramidD. You can also teleport to a player's current location (if they haven't blocked it).

Adding frequent backups to the mix, the public server is essentially "Grief free"

Also, to encourage donations, they allow you to pay a small fee to....
[1] /jumpto, which allows you to teleport to the top of the block you're currently looking at
[2] /magiccarpet, which allows you to "fly" on these temporary blocks, allowing easy construction of floating structures.

[1] Kits: Every 15 minutes or so, you can get a toolkit, some glass, sand, stone, etc. Kinda allows for more time building interesting things & reduced things like raping beaches.
Kits are for freebuild. This is SMP.

[2] /magiccarpet, which allows you to "fly" on these temporary blocks, allowing easy construction of floating structures.

This is retarded.

^ Perhaps yes, perhaps no. I'm simply bringing up options to consider.

P.S. Looked at what he was charged for.... we could have dodged a bullet. It appears the reason he's currently in custody is for fraudulent behavior and theft. It's entirely possible that was his intent here, however he ran into more problems and got arrested before he could pull it off.

I propose that we start a new map, and insert chunks of people's projects who want them saved.

I also propose that we use this app to design it crazy super-awesome.

Back