The hardest game levels you've ever played?

nokori3byo

Reaction score
What are some of the hardest computer/console game levels you've ever played?

For me, it would have to be the side mission, "Gripped" from GTA 3 and the stealth training mission from America's Army. The former has the distinction of being the hardest level/mission I've ever actually finished (after days of frustration).

the dam level on farcry is ****ing hard work. i read about it before i got the game and when i got to it, i managed to crack it the first time. i attempted it again and just couldn't get down the river at the bottom for the life of me

Some of the later missions of the Operation Flashpoint games were absultely solid, although they mislead you with the second to last american mission where you have to destroy the missle, they give air support, tank support and a bunch of infantry, when really all you need to do, is grab a missle launcher, sneak through the nearby forest, take out a few of the guards, and blow the bastard up, leg it. Jobs a gooden.

Some of the missions for Hidden and Dngerous 2 were very difficult also.

Funny how foreknowledge of some part of a game can affect the way you approach it. I had known about the second turret battle in "Entanglement" long before I played it. When I finally got to it (coming home drunk from an office party) I knew I was walking into a buzzsaw, so I just patiently experimented with different set ups till I hit upon something that worked. All in all, not the nightmare it was made out to be.

In The Thing......Trapped inside of a small room. No weapons. Big ass creature on the outside. Little ****ers behind a door in the room. Allies that need saving, but are probably infected, needs weapons so they can trust you (where are zee wepowns?), and they vomit every time they see something (pick up the pace fat ass, you can purge later). Add to that a few turrets and a shitload of respawning soldiers.

Pandora's temple in God of War was also very hard for me the first playthrough.

Nothing was ever really hard...

The Spec. Ops training mission in America's Army is indeed a toughy though.

I agree with the Spec Ops mission in America's Army. Also take any level from Stuntman. That game was impossible.

Aye stuntman was pretty hard but did it the end, quality game.

Later missions in Starcraft and Brood war. Just get so hard it becomes stupid.

I gave up on GTA3 fairly quickly - the stupid missions were just sadistic at times

I remember tearing some hair out over the time-limited Columbian coffee stand mission, but the side mission, "Gripped", in which you drive a Hummer up sheer surfaces to collect checkpoints was a million times worse.

I also did a fair amount of keyboard biting while trying to set a world record for "Time spent in the Bloodring" in GTA Vice City.

Some of the levels from Jak 2 made me cry.

One part was when you're inside a huge palace filled with difficult platform elements. Fall to your death and you need to start all over again even if you're near the end of the level.

Another one was when you needed to destroy a handful of ships across the city. Not only was it difficult to actually destroy them but if you died you had to restart all the way from the beginning and do it ALL OVER AGAIN. I just "**** this!" and cheated through the rest of the game.

The final level of Disruptor for Playstation. Never once beat it on normal - let alone hard - without the ammo/health cheats. The final boss was the frickin President of (Earth/the Galaxy/the Universe), mad on his own power! Then again this was awhile ago and would've been one of the first shooters I'd played.

Some of the final stages of Burnout 3. Goddamn infuriatingly hard - BUT I GOT THE BASTARDS :E

Company of Heroes, pretty much all the stages I've played to some extent. But then again RTS games aren't my forte - I don't have the patience for em.

The final drug trafficking missions on Saint's Row. If you've been there you know :x

And yeah, one of the missions on GTA3. Whichever one it was I gave up on, cause it was just too. damn. hard. :p

I agree nokori3byo, especially when going for 100%. Sheer horror trying to drive the Patriot through the park and up the hill on the 3rd island.

Sadly, I retired my GTA3 game with only 99%, I couldn't finnish the frickin' ambulance missions, 'cause the Jamaicans kept shooting up my ride. Luckily, by then Vice City was out and I couldn't be arsed.

Spec Ops on playstation one ...found out later on all difficulty levels were set on hard ..didnt help that I played co op and my partner kept mistaking me for the enemy

Sniper Alley in Medal of Honor: you couldnt take a step without taking a bullet to the head ..the snipers were freakin magical and defied all kinds of logic

Sadly, I retired my GTA3 game with only 99%, I couldn't finnish the frickin' ambulance missions, 'cause the Jamaicans kept shooting up my ride. Luckily, by then Vice City was out and I couldn't be arsed.

It's the only GTA I haven't 100%ed.

Woh sniper ally, man been AGES since I played that, bril level tho

Some of the levels from Jak 2 made me cry.

One part was when you're inside a huge palace filled with difficult platform elements. Fall to your death and you need to start all over again even if you're near the end of the level.

Another one was when you needed to destroy a handful of ships across the city. Not only was it difficult to actually destroy them but if you died you had to restart all the way from the beginning and do it ALL OVER AGAIN. I just "**** this!" and cheated through the rest of the game.

Yes! Jak 2 is definitely one of the harder platformer games I've played ... but I don't think it comes close to the classic Driver games (1 and 2), I absolute hate trial-and-error game play and that game required absolute perfection.

Also, some of those Japanese side-scrolling shooters can be tough as nails, there's so many projectiles flying at you that you almost become disorientated and fazed with 'what the **** do I do?!?!'.

The last 4 levels of Zombies ate my Neighbors (after having to use the password and having no weapons to start with).

In God Of War....Hades sucked. Platforming in general is VERY frustrating at times.

That's all I got off the top of my head.

Control Room on 00 Agent in Goldeneye 64.

Secret Agent was hard enough.

I agree with Samon that without cheats Starcraft gets ridiculous. On Jak 3 those missions in the buggies out in the wasteland where you had to get certain amount of points from jumps made me go all and sweary. Still ahven't done them bastard missions.
A couple of levels on Warcraft 3, the 5th human mission where you ahve to defend the town for 30mins from the Scourge...extremely difficult for a noob.
GRAW I was on that "defend the runined emmbassy (or summat like that)" for quite a while, and don''t get me started on that nighttime mission in the rebel camp...

GRAW, Rainbow six vegas and halo 1-2 were easy. Gears Of War on insane fighting RAAM was hard. did it though.

Last Boss in God of War.. Pushing that damn circle button so damn much... it hurt! FINALLY got it after like 8 days of trying...

hah hah i got it on the third, but i dident stop playing it. ever. 'D

Can't think of many games that have really infuriated me. Some of the missions on Mafia pissed me off. Like the racing one. Just playing through the game again and nearly at that point again. Grr.

The last 4 levels of Zombies ate my Neighbors (after having to use the password and having no weapons to start with).

I will vouche for that.

But I always had troubles with the last level of the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the NES. Well, I beat the game at least once a day as a kid, but now, I can't even get to the fkn techno-dome.

I remember tearing some hair out over the time-limited Columbian coffee stand mission.

qft, thats as far as i got in gta3, i just gave up on it with this mission.

also i just completed graw today and a few of the missions were tough as hell, defending the embassy for one and the assault on the embassy towards the games end...

Jumpin' Jack Flash on Hard Rock for Elite Beat Agents.

Although Ready Steady Go for Ouendan on Cheer Squad mode might be harder, but I'm not up to it yet...

also i just completed graw today and a few of the missions were tough as hell, defending the embassy for one and the assault on the embassy towards the games end...
Yeah, I gave up on the assault mission before trading mine in :p

Also, Geometry Wars - the only level. Just... argh... can't stay alive for more than 5 seconds after the 2-3 minute mark :x

Half-life's last level - yeah first time i played it it took my about 2 hours too figure out what too do.

Some games are hard for the right reasons and I remember them fondly. This includes GTA, Driver 1-2, Jak 2, etc. Driver 1 is my personal favorite, that game is hard as balls. I knew people who couldn't even get past the training level. Still, it was definitely a skill based game and it was very rewarding to do well in it, I loved it. Jak 2 had some pretty difficult areas, but Jak 3 was easy all the way through, I was a bit disappointed. Playing MGS2 on Euro Extreme without any unlockables is pretty challenging.

And Stern, I remember that Spec Ops game. **** that game. I could never tell what the hell was going on and I kept dying like crazy.

Ok, what's the hardest boss level anyone has played? I remember the Icon of Sin in Doom 2 being quite a ball ache.

And how about the hardest first level? One that made you want to pack it in before the game had even properly gotten under way.

The apartment building in the original Call of Duty on hard mode. I ended up saving every 2 seconds to try to figure out how to stay alive. If you patch it all together in one run I hold off the German invasion of atleast 4 times our size on the 2nd floor, then run up to the anti tank gun and destroy 3 or 4 panzers, then go back to the stairs and kill about 50 germans coming up. By this time I am out of ammo so have to throw some grenades then jump out the window back down to the 1st floor. Shoot more Germans, and get to the basement.

Far Cry was insanely difficult the first time. Now it's just too easy :(

Sniper Alley in Medal of Honor: you couldnt take a step without taking a bullet to the head ..the snipers were freakin magical and defied all kinds of logic

Oh yah, what fun times that was. MOH still leaves a sour taste in my mouth to this day.

I remember a part in MGS2 where Solidus begins choking you and you need to tap a button repeatedly to maintain your oxygen until he was done. I decided to play through it again on Hard and went through that ****ing bit at least twenty times.

The Icon of Sin in Doom 2 was also a real asspain.

The apartment building in the original Call of Duty on hard mode.
You think it's bad on hard mode? I got up to that on veteran. Seriously, that's the very part I gave up on it. It's just totally. frickin. impossible.

(Not impossible in the sense it can't be done without dying, more in the sense that I couldn't do it without going mental.)

Don't remember any tough boss fights at the mo. Sephiroth was a bit of a bitch, but that was more from waiting through Supernova 10 ****ing times each attempt.

GRAW, Rainbow six vegas and halo 1-2 were easy. Gears Of War on insane fighting RAAM was hard. did it though.

I found ram really easy on insane.

The only bit that I found a pain in the ass on GOW insane was travelling in the carts with all the exploding wretches trying to land in there with you and you having to get em off the roof before they did.

The final level on Messiah (which is a hard game anyhows) where you have to duke it out with the Devil and his minions by jumping into the bodies of the soldiers he spawns to kill you, and you move about as fast as a wasp in winter...ridiculous.

Love the GTA games, but never finished any of them as the fun to frustration factor normally kicks in about 2 thirds in. With GTA:SA I remember the helicopter missons being particularly painful.

You think it's bad on hard mode? I got up to that on veteran. Seriously, that's the very part I gave up on it. It's just totally. frickin. impossible.

(Not impossible in the sense it can't be done without dying, more in the sense that I couldn't do it without going mental.)

I did it xD

Found a very cunning way of getting through pavlov on veteran using my knowledge from multiplayer, i dropped out the side, ran north to this other building there and hid around the corner with my ppsh and just gunned everyone down as they rounded the corner, saving it after every wave.

Back