...the haunting wind chimes...

S

Stonecat

After reading the thread about the playground laughter I figured I would open this one up -found nothing in 'Search' so I hope this is new stuff.

At the fork in water hazard with a dead end to the right and a windmill on top of the high right wall, after you drop a combine, some headys and a zombie, if you jump out of the boat you hear some whistling wind and some HAUNTING WIND CHIMES !!! The chimes were driving me nuts so I have tried everything to figure them out like jumping the boat to the rectangular ledge at the end and up to the terrace to the right. This took countless attempts at piling junk and shooting out beams to have the steel plate land good enough to make a ramp (for the end ledge), and pushing stuff infront of the wreck to build a wedge to bang off (for the right ledge). Well there was nothing on the end ledge, just a black wall, but there was actually a box of magnum shells (and a single shoe wtf ?!) on the right ledge. Either way, no wind chimes, just that HAUNTING SOUND !!!.

Has anybody had any luck figuring out wtf is up with the WIND CHIMES...it's driving me NUTS.

note: posted these pics a couple weeks back in another thread but hoping for new blood/thoughts on this one.

7f2.jpg

519.jpg

I don't know where they're coming from either but I love the whole atmosphere down there.

Perhaps there was something more to it which eventually got dropped.

I actually remember seeing them one time through and thinking wow thats pretty cool. I don't know where though, and I haven't thought about it since, until I read this thread. They are somewhere.

In this location, or you just noticed them in another part of the game?

I only heard them once and it was at this spot. It sounds like they are coming from up high somewhere, probably the left side looking in to the dead end. I tried piling crates and junk around the bend to the left to see if I could climb up and see or get over from behind, so to speak, but you can't get high enough and the stuff keeps falling down because of the slope. I also tried piling stuff up before you get to the fork to get up around the cat walk overpass thing where you see the G-man - you can get up pretty high but you hit an invisible wall and see some broken mesh or texture stuff, which means obviously there is no access up there either.

I think its like the kids laughing, its a flash back to what was once going on there.

Brak710101 said:
I think its like the kids laughing, its a flash back to what was once going on there.

Hmmm maybe...but because its a continuous sound that you hear for as long as you hang out in this area, I don't think its a ghost type thing. My feeling is there is something else going on here. Why are there a couple dead guys on the high platform? There's no ladder up to them so did they get there from above? What's with the windmill? What's with the bicycle down below - you're in a water system, why a bike lol? What's with the beams over the gap - something to walk from one side to the other? Why was there a box of shells and a boot on the one terrace - implies that someone has already been up there? My impression is that there is more to the camp and it's up where you can't see to, where the wind chime sound comes from, but whether or not there is a way to get up there remains to be figured out. Maybe it's designed to look and sound like this but it's really just not an accessible area. Maybe I'm over-analyzing it now lol.

Yeah, I remember hearing the wind chimes for the first time. I was wondering where it came from, too.

Now, everytime I hear wind chimes (practicaly every night) it reminds me of that part of the game. It's not so much creepy as it is eerie. It kind of feels like there's something out there watching me.

The wind chimes are there every time I go through that area. I think its the Windmill connected to something, but cant get up there to see.

By the way, great job Stonecat, getting up on those ledges with the air boat, I never thought of using the air boat, I was climbing on piled crap all the time.

Fido

it might be just the wind, but i havnt heard it when playing through that part or the boat mortor was too loud

big_king_frosty said:
Maybe Valve are just showing off their source engine and realistic environments.
yeah... but its kinda creepy to me. :rolleyes:

fido139 said:
The wind chimes are there every time I go through that area. I think its the Windmill connected to something, but cant get up there to see.

By the way, great job Stonecat, getting up on those ledges with the air boat, I never thought of using the air boat, I was climbing on piled crap all the time.

Fido

Thx - it's not easy, let me tell ya. It's relatively simple to make the ramp but then you have to take the boat back into the channel and come in full speed and thread the needle between the wrecks and the bomb shell. You clip things over and over until finally it works. Luckily, the boat just fits between the posts and under the the shack thing, so when you get stuck at the end you can drive back out and around the ramp without having to dismantle anything. I thought there would be something up there, maybe an 'easter egg', because it's where the crabs jump down from but unfortunately, there's nothing up there except the nice view! It just seems to me that the jump is set up to be barely makeable and there is something going on here, and it's got to do with those chimes and there's some trick to figuring it out. Getting on to the terrace on the right is pretty hard as well - after piling a few things up and deflecting off them at full speed you have to turn hard right while in the air and hopefully just catch the terrace. Use QuickSave before attempting because you will have to reload over and over.

I think its just for atmosphere. I remember that spot as well, realy tranquill but still very eerie.... a little piece of art.

Ok in my quest to figure this out I tried this to get up and over the wall - you can get on the roof of the shack by busting out one beam, hopping on the side rail, piling a couple things so something sticks out a bit (barrel in pic), hop on this and scramble to the roof. You have to systematically pass stuff out the side and then up on top of the roof and then carefully stack it for getting higher.

q.jpg

climbing up is a major balancing act

qq.jpg

I kept getting to just below eye level of the top but unfortunately I kept falling or seemed to hit an invisible wall when trying to jump higher, and as a result all I got was s a great view...but the wind chime sound is much clearer up here (and you also hear in the background, some birds, a duck quak, and I'm sure I heard a headcrab screech)...oh well I think I'll give up on this one

qqq.jpg

qqqq.jpg

qqqqq.jpg

the half-life series is becoming more surreal than silent hill

................i love

Yeah, that part was really really bloody creepy....mind-blowingly strong sense of place....made me feel like...ah, I think I'll hide from the Combine here, forever...

Brak710101 said:

ah, at the beginning of the game. when your in the playground. you can hear like kids laughing and some sound that sounds like shoes skeeting on a gym floor

DESSTROYER said:
ah, at the beginning of the game. when your in the playground. you can hear like kids laughing and some sound that sounds like shoes skeeting on a gym floor
I listened to it twice... more like they are screaming... creepy. :smoking:

more like they are yelling and stuff, and the screaming you heard, is that skeeting gym floor thing. either way, its still weird

DESSTROYER said:
more like they are yelling and stuff, and the screaming you heard, is that skeeting gym floor thing. either way, its still weird
Hmm... Poor children... children in City 17 no longer exists. :borg:

I said that I remember seeing them but upon realizing where you guys are speaking of, I know that area and I don't believe I saw them there.

I think I saw and heard chimes hanging from something above you, and it's at a part where I got out of the hovercraft but there's no real reason to do so. It's not the part you guys speak of. It's a part where your just going real fast on the hovercraft...

So most of you probably flew by this place I'm mentioning numerous times. I don't remember specifically where, theres so many places where you can get out and look around, but no real reason to do so, it is a big level. Maybe try going through the level and look for anything hanging down, from a dock or something. They could have just added the sound effect at that other location but had the chimes somewhere else too.

Then again I could be totally wrong on this whole thing.. I'm just going from memory... but like I said in the first post, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them hanging from a dock (or something) and thinking "wow thats pretty cool" before I saw this whole post.

BTW if memory serves correct they are wooden and you can hit them with stuff so it makes sounds.

I really can picture them in my mind and I remember what they looked like so I'm 95% sure I saw them. They looked like wooden, indian wind chimes. I think there was a feather hanging down too on the middle piece (that hits the chimes) that was blowing lightly in the breeze.

NJspeed said:
I said that I remember seeing them but upon realizing where you guys are speaking of, I know that area and I don't believe I saw them there.

I think I saw and heard chimes hanging from something above you, and it's at a part where I got out of the hovercraft but there's no real reason to do so. It's not the part you guys speak of. It's a part where your just going real fast on the hovercraft...

So most of you probably flew by this place I'm mentioning numerous times. I don't remember specifically where, theres so many places where you can get out and look around, but no real reason to do so, it is a big level. Maybe try going through the level and look for anything hanging down, from a dock or something. They could have just added the sound effect at that other location but had the chimes somewhere else too.

Then again I could be totally wrong on this whole thing.. I'm just going from memory... but like I said in the first post, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing them hanging from a dock (or something) and thinking "wow thats pretty cool" before I saw this whole post.

BTW if memory serves correct they are wooden and you can hit them with stuff so it makes sounds.

I really can picture them in my mind and I remember what they looked like so I'm 95% sure I saw them. They looked like wooden, indian wind chimes. I think there was a feather hanging down too on the middle piece (that hits the chimes) that was blowing lightly in the breeze.

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!! I remember THOSE CHIMESS!!!! SO AWESOME!!!!!

someone get an image

*edit*
im too lazy to go and listen to the chimes but i think i found the sounds

is this the sound?

DESSTROYER said:
someone get an image

*edit*
im too lazy to go and listen to the chimes but i think i found the sounds

is this the sound?
yes thats the chime sound at the water hazard dead end, plus there is an extra 'gong' type sound

when you do a noclip cheat and fly around the 'gong' sound is clearly above the game area but it just appears that is how they installed it in to the model for this area - as seen in the no clip picture there are no wind chimes to be seen/found here (you can noclip through all the walls and the tall tank, windmill etc. and like I said, nothing seen or found, its just an inserted sound file)

yeah, the sounds are in the gcf file, sounds/ambience/levels/canals/windchime. ETC

Is it possible to work backwards, and find any locations in the game with that sound file?

The fact there is a single sound file must mean it's scripted, and no actual chimes like I believe.

If there was an actual chimes thing you could hit, you'd need several sound files. One for each chime.

Maybe I'm just picturing something I saw in real life but sounded like that. I dunno. I'm guessing I'm wrong about there being chimes in the game but I really thought I remember finding one hanging down and thinking it was cool. But I must be wrong. The simple fact there is one sound file means I'm wrong, unless it just loops that sound or something? At the same time, I REALLY think I saw it hanging from a dock or something. Maybe I saw it but I was wrong about being able to manipulate the sounds it make.

Yoggibear thought he saw them too, but we could both be mistaken.

NJspeed said:
Is it possible to work backwards, and find any locations in the game with that sound file?

The fact there is a single sound file must mean it's scripted, and no actual chimes like I believe.

If there was an actual chimes thing you could hit, you'd need several sound files. One for each chime.

Maybe I'm just picturing something I saw in real life but sounded like that. I dunno. I'm guessing I'm wrong about there being chimes in the game but I really thought I remember finding one hanging down and thinking it was cool. But I must be wrong. The simple fact there is one sound file means I'm wrong, unless it just loops that sound or something? At the same time, I REALLY think I saw it hanging from a dock or something. Maybe I saw it but I was wrong about being able to manipulate the sounds it make.

Yoggibear thought he saw them too, but we could both be mistaken.
theres accualy 4 sounds

theres windchine1 (its accualy is spelled chine)
windchime2
windchime4
windchime5

i heard it 2 and i think i no wot it is i just shot a pipe around that area and it had gone 4ever but there is another one.on the chapter ""NOVA PROSPECT" the first time u c the prison cells u have 2 c the 1st 1 to the right go in there and u shud hear sum wind chimes it is really freaky :eek:

I've played through the entire Half-Life series several times but I've only just discovered this now while trying out MMod :eek:

Back