The Hobbit - Part 1

Nimoy's voice is too distinctive I think. It's like having Martin Sheen as The Illusive Man in Mass Effect 2, whenever he talks all I can see is Martin Sheen... not the character he's supposed to be. Smaug shouldn't bring images of Spock to your head when he speaks.

Who cares about Saruman's death being cut from the theatrical version though? In the books he doesn't even die until much later, at the end of the 3rd book. Sam and Frodo return to the Shire to find that it's been enslaved by Saruman and they lead a hobbit revolt and kill him.

God, I kept hoping that this would make it into the movies somehow but it never did.

Really? I always thought that felt really tacked on and silly.

it's not the fact that saruman's death was cut or not, it was the nature in which he was killed. falling onto a giant spike was just silly. i always liked the idea of him being stabbed at the end of the book, or at least i think that was how he was killed. knifed in the back by grima, who he bullied throughout.

Who the hell is Itaril? I hope they don't misplace any major characters, I was really sort of pissed at what they did with Arwen in the Fellowship and also in ROTK

While Saruman's death could have been better I would've liked to have seen SOMETHING in theaters, but anyway.

People seem to complain a lot about all the 'endings' at the end of rotk, I like them personally, the more lotr the better :>

Just thought I'd post an update for those interested in what's happening!

Orlando Bloom confirms he’s been in talks to return as Legolas in The Hobbit:
http://the-hobbit-movie.com/2011/04/08/orlando-bloom-legolas-confirms-rumours/

Question: You were a part of the hugely successful franchises for The Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean, and now those franchises are continuing on. What’s it going to be like to see those movies, as an audience member?

ORLANDO BLOOM: Great! I’ve had such a great run with them.

Are you going to appear in The Hobbit?

BLOOM: Yeah, it’s looking like that. I’m really excited about going to see Pete [Jackson] again. It’s still a little up in the air, but the idea of working with Pete is fantastic. I can’t actually really talk too much about it, at this point. I just was given the script to piece through, so it’s quite exciting.

The whole script?

BLOOM: Yeah!

Will you have to do anything to physically prepare for that role again?

BLOOM: Are you telling me that I’ve put on weight, in the last 10 years? I just have to grow my hair really long and blonde again.

Isn’t he a younger version?

BLOOM: Yeah.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE New Images!

Peter Jackson has updated his Facebook page with two new photos, including inside Gollum’s cave and Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins.

G75Pb.jpg

Tdnap.jpg

Glad Peter has decided to do these blogs, it's a lot different from LOTR where there was very strict policy on nobody seeing anything until release.

Hugo Weaving visits Hobbit set

l6RFG.png

Peter Jackson has updated his Facebook with the above photo and status:

"An old friend came to visit me on set today"

Really wish Legolas wasn't going to be in the Hobbit. They don't need to add characters from the first films that aren't in the book to generate press. It's just more lame, artificial nostalgia from hollywood

Wait, Hugo Weaving is "visiting"? Does that mean he won't be in the movie or that his scenes haven't begin being filmed yet?

And yeah, a bit silly to include LoTR characters what weren't in the book. I can understand Galadriel and Saruman, since they will presumably be featured in relation to the While Council. But Legolas just seems like a cheap shot to have recognisable faces in the flick. I can't really understand their reasoning either, it's not like the movies aren't gonna make a shit ton of money as it is.

Eh it makes sense for Legolas to be there, what with his dad the king having a big party at one point. If he ends up being more than a cameo that's a bit off.

Wait, Hugo Weaving is "visiting"? Does that mean he won't be in the movie or that his scenes haven't begin being filmed yet?

And yeah, a bit silly to include LoTR characters what weren't in the book. I can understand Galadriel and Saruman, since they will presumably be featured in relation to the While Council. But Legolas just seems like a cheap shot to have recognisable faces in the flick. I can't really understand their reasoning either, it's not like the movies aren't gonna make a shit ton of money as it is.

well, elrond is in the hobbit, so logically he will be appearing. i wouldn't read too much into the ''visiting'' part, and if he just ''visiting'', then i guess maybe he's stopping by for his scenes. he isn't in the book all that much, and i think he might be in the middle or end of production for captain america right now.

Eh it makes sense for Legolas to be there, what with his dad the king having a big party at one point. If he ends up being more than a cameo that's a bit off.

Agreed, it's fine if there's a short scene with Legolas in Mirkwood, I just have a bad feeling it'd be more. And I'm worried about Frodo being in either of the movies at all. I'm sure they'll be great films though, I still really enjoy the animated rendition of the hobbit from the 70's.

It would be badass if they showed the White Council flushing Sauron out of Dol Guldur, even if Tolkien only referenced it

I don't get the screen capture in the first post, what game is it and why is it valid?

Agreed, it's fine if there's a short scene with Legolas in Mirkwood, I just have a bad feeling it'd be more. And I'm worried about Frodo being in either of the movies at all. I'm sure they'll be great films though, I still really enjoy the animated rendition of the hobbit from the 70's.

It would be badass if they showed the White Council flushing Sauron out of Dol Guldur, even if Tolkien only referenced it

If Frodo is just there for bookending the story it might be ok. The whole thing being Bilbo recounting his adventures to Frodo or whatever.

I see, so it will be like the Princess Bride, then.

Hopefully. Being like the Princess Bride in any way is automatically a good thing.

Saw an interview with Elijah Wood in which he stated his appearance is separated from the story and doesn't alter/interfere with it in any way, so yeah it'll probably be Bilbo telling him the story.

Here's a production diary for those who missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqaUk-r8DBk

I can't wait for this. The Hobbit has got to be one of my all time favorites and only LOTR book I have read. I went to the LOTR exhibit in Boston, MA in 2004. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_Motion_Picture_Trilogy:_The_Exhibition That is something I will never forget and I really wish they had let visitors take photos and movies. There was some stuff outside that you could take pictures of but it wasn't much. To see the actual "One Ring" in 6" of acrylic, Nazgul costumes, wax figure of a dead character, and Hobbit feet was a visual treat. The amount of time and effort is unmatched by anything I have ever seen used in film making. Not too much was CGI and there was no foam or plastic props used. It was all real and the best part was they hired experienced blacksmiths and dress makers to make props. They even trained people to blacksmith or make various props, LOCALLY.

CavePapa.jpg

That troll was amazing. It was all plaster and hand painted and airbrushed.

Anyone know the budget for this? Wikipedia says US$300-500 million, but their source is over three years old. The whole LOTR trilogy had 285 million, and I'd be surprised if it was less than that for these two films, considering inflation and what have you.

Not only that but LotR, specifically with Jackson at the helm, was considered pretty risky back in the day and that affected the budget. Throwing money Jacksons way probably seems like a much safer investment now that he has proven himself.

yeah New Line was really, really holding back initially during LOTR.

currently re-reading the hobbit for the first time in years, ****ing hell it really is an amazing little book, isn't it? wonderful stuff.

It's definitely more readable than the LOTR trilogy.

If Orlando Bloom could have kept me fixated that way, it would have been a lot better than his boring character. So, no, he doesn't even have the bonus of being a "homoerotic character".

On a sidenote, every movie Jackson has done since LOTR - and before - has sucked.

no, he did brain dead, so... see sig.

I dunno, I thought The Lovely Bones was pretty good. I also thought Legolas was a good character. Bloom got the feelings of the elf trying to understand and coming to terms with death across quite well I think, in the scenes following Gandalf/Boromirs fall.

**** yes benedict cumberbatch, that's awesome.

was hoping bard might go to michael fassbender, but oh well.

I've been looking forward to this since the Trilogy came out. I do hope that the returning cast that wasn't mentioned in the books stays limited to cameo appearances though.
I have confidence that my socks will be rocked.

If Orlando Bloom could have kept me fixated that way, it would have been a lot better than his boring character. So, no, he doesn't even have the bonus of being a "homoerotic character".

On a sidenote, every movie Jackson has done since LOTR - and before - has sucked.
Bad Taste was amazing.

Back