The Hobbit - Part 1

It's cute how you keep sneaking things like that into your posts, claiming to want to move the conversation forward while making attempts at subtle trolling.

2BeTB.jpg

Here, how about we get this thread back on track?
HqSxj.jpg

KzYYL.jpg

fLbmc.jpg

lost is a+ television, deal with it

The dwarfs look like Klingon. Still awesome, Martin Freeman is looking good.

right, because i'm the most brash person in the film & television forum to this day. you aren't going to get shirty with samon at least? the guy's far more blunt then i'll ever be with his criticism, or passed off attempts, and i'm almost 100% certain i've seen you acting similar. i suspect i could probably search a transformers thread and find something just as equal to me calling lost fecal matter or childish rubbish, if not the exact!

the reason i don't go into specifics is because this thread is titled the hobbit, not lost. i might have some crits in the old lost thread, or actually even some praise for it. i quite liked it a couple of years ago, then i rewatched it and wanted to gouge out my eyes.

oh, and i watch plenty of television. too much, you could say. so much so that when i weigh up lost to such favourites as the wire, the sopranos, breaking bad, rome, hill street blues, band of brothers, dexter, game of thrones, curb your enthusiasm, the thick of it, the corner, homicide, arrested development and whatever else is sitting on my shelf at university that i do so fancy as good television. i think that's enough to compare what i think 'bad' is with what i think 'good' is, but need i not remind you that mine or your word as to what good or bad television is irrelevant, as it's opinion, so i'm afraid you telling me what you think a bad show is and why you think lost isn't one of them isn't going to cut it. i think it is bad, personally.

That's at least a more reasonable argument!

As a side note, It makes me sad how much people seem to think that Samon and I are assbandits together. We argue about movies and books all the time, just usually via Steam chat. There's a very long list of things that we don't agree on, and yet on here we are often lumped in with having the same opinions or being carbon copies of each other. I WANT MY OWN IDENTITY.

Thanks for getting things back ON TRACK lucid ;) Very cool pictures.

Wow, suddenly I have a lot more faith in Freeman after seeing him all hobbitted up. He looks perfect.

oOIss.png

Over ten years ago, catching a whiff something really big was going down in New Zealand, Empire decided to feature the next film from promising Kiwi director Peter Jackson on its cover. After all, he just happened to be making The Lord Of The Rings. Listen closely to his commentary on Return Of The King and Jackson actually recalls the day that issue of Empire arrived on set — he couldn’t quite get his head around the fact they were still shooting! To paraphrase someone in a black and white movie, it was the start of a beautiful friendship.

So in honour of Jackson’s long-awaited return to Middle-earth for two dragon-and-dwarf-laden prequels — as a “good luck charm” according the director — Empire takes its symbolic and rightful place as the first magazine in the world to put The Hobbit on its cover. A resplendent ‘younger’ Gandalf the Grey (look closely for subtle differences in costume from his 60-year older Rings self) taking centre stage alongside the first look at Martin Freeman’s Bilbo Baggins (keep your eyes peeled for a hint or two of dwarf in the issue).

Personally invited onto the set barely a month into production, Empire delightedly watched a film — two films — already in full swing. Thirteen cantankerous dwarves, one barely tolerant wizard, and a befuddled hobbit are seen arriving at the gates of Rivendell and sneered at by local elves. Jackson assures us he is once again reaching for the mighty spectacle of Lord Of The Rings, but also bringing a certain ‘Hobbity-ness’ all its own. “The tone is actually the part of it I’m enjoying the most,” he laughs, casting a fond eye upon his rabble of exotic dwarves, clattering about set like they own the place. “They have a healthy disregard for the icons of Middle-earth.”

Awesome. Man, that makes me want it so bad. Although I have to say, making Gandalf look younger, even if the difference is almost imperceptible, seems kind of silly to me. Gandalf is older than Middle-Earth itself, he's been there for something like 2000 years and he is technically an immortal demigod. IMO he should look basically exactly the same as he does in the beginning of Fellowship as Gandalf the Grey.

Ok i jut finished reading the hobbit. Fantastic kids fantasy.

Cant wait to see many scenes on the big screen
- dwarves being captured by giant spiders
- beorn in bear attack mode tearing goblins apart

Just noticed that Benedict Cumberbatch was cast as the voice and performance (via motion capture) for Smaug. Part of me thinks this is awesome, the rest is thinking that perhaps Peter Jackson watched a bit too much of the recent Sherlock TV series.

I haven't been following filming at all, but am I right in guessing they're filming at Pinewood to save Christopher Lee the effort of travelling to New Zealand?

I love seeing these videos. There's just such a fantastic vibe, and you tell (some dwarf actors aside) there's so much passion in the project. It warms even my heart seeing each character brought back. That appearance by Christopher Lee was quite cheeky.

That weight didn't stay off for long.

i thought this whilst watching the second diary last night, but then i guess you gotta remember that he's doing a pretty mammoth task right now which is inevitably going to involve lots of late nights and not much else time for anything other than filming and snacking with tea and coffee in between. it's a bit like me when it comes to crunch time near a deadline - i usually end up going out and buying a **** ton of biscuits and milk and just living off of a cups of a tea and chocolate bourbons for a day or two.

unhealthy as ****.

Haha yes, I wasn't criticising, I do the same. It was just nice seeing him lean.

oh yeah no doubt, didn't mean to seem like i was calling you out :p

christopher lee looks so, so ****ing good at the end though. i mean in comparison to when he came onstage at the oscars or grammys or whatever it was last year, and he was still very whimsical and funny, but he looked so frail. but at the end of that video he looks fresh from shooting lord of the rings! guys goddamn dedicated.

It's quite promising to see so much passion and love being poured into the production, from the director, through to the cast and down to the crew - it bodes well for two very good films.

Got it in one.

**** YEAH.

Apparently, this will be a lot more humorous than the original movies.

Whether it speaks to when they were written or not (Wasn't LOTR written during/around WW2?), I seem to recall The Hobbit as definitely being a lot more humourous than LOTR - or at least not as dark, so it makes sense that the movie should be more fun.

the hobbit is basically a childrens book, and it merits from it's lighthearted and comical nature. i always enjoy reading it, and i simply cannot wait to see how jackson tackles this.

Gimli was very much comic relief a lot of the time in LOTR, so I can only imagine how it'll be with so many more dwarves.

I got a boner from seeing all the cast together, it's gonna be wonderful.

Also, it looks like Peter Jackson is putting on weight again, did you notice?

Yeah it looks that way, back to his old cuddly self.

Can ya'll remind me exactly why Gandalf wanted Bilbo to come along for the quest? What did he contribute?

Having only re-read the first chapter, he originally recruits Bilbo as a thief to steal back the Dwarve's treasure, because Hobbits are crafty and he has Tookish blood and stuff. How that bears out in the story I can't say, the last time I read it I was all of 10.

I believe there was a small gap, that only he could get through. Either that or he was just more stealthy so Smaug wouldn't notice him, there is a lot of talk in the books of Hobbits being quiet when they move. It has been a while since I read it though.

"You asked me to find the fourteenth man for your expedition, and I chose Mr Baggins. Just let any one say I chose the wrong man or the wrong house, and you can stop at thirteen and have all the bad luck you like, or go back to digging coal."

"If I say he is a burglar, a burglar he is, or will be when the time comes. There is a lot more in him than you guess, and a deal more than he has any idea himself."

All I could find, I guess Gandalf saw potential in him, and like BadHat said, he had Tookish blood, and I think the tooks were known for their adventurous side.

plus, he finds the ring, which becomes pretty important later on in the book and massively important for the lord of the rings. i'm not strictly claiming gandalf has some sort of foresight, but i'm sure he's mentioned chance and fate before, so that makes sense that it would all come to plan later on.

Sounds like Freeman is doing a good job!

maduA.png

also~

e0cEn.png

plus, he finds the ring, which becomes pretty important later on in the book and massively important for the lord of the rings. i'm not strictly claiming gandalf has some sort of foresight, but i'm sure he's mentioned chance and fate before, so that makes sense that it would all come to plan later on.

I'm pretty sure that this is what Tolkien had in mind. Wizards in his universe are not quite mortals and there are a lot of references to destiny or the like. I always took the whole series as sort of an examination of how the most unlikely character could end up saving the world. It seemed to me that Gandalf played a major role (somewhat intentionally) in bringing that about.

In other news, although morgs and The Hobbit have yet to set a date for their union, we can say for sure it is not far off.

Back