The Lab "Appliance of Science" Update Released

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
With "The Lab" having been out for a little over a month and a half at this point, it's definitely the perfect time for Valve to re-inject some life into their freely available virtual reality title. Today's "Appliance of Science" update, available free of charge, adds a bunch of extra functionality into The Lab's three most replayable mini-games, Longbow, Xortex, and Slingshot.

c373cd6d3e6a3aa12c9e4732258291f750631e62.png
Global leaderboards, endless modes, and minor gameplay tweaks are among the changes that Valve hopes will keep players coming back to The Lab time and time again much in the same way simple yet replayable games such as Audioshield and Space Pirate Trainer can retain players despite being so seemingly basic on the surface. In Longbow, the game will now continue past the standard 8 rounds, spawning more enemies with tougher armour as waves continue and build in difficulty. For Xortex, a new "Xortex Infinite" mode allows players to enjoy Xortex indefinitely without having to worry about the on-going boss battle as a new "Spinner" enemy looks to disrupt the battlefield. For Slingshot, you can expect to see a somewhat overhauled point system alongside even more powerful explosive barrels!

Other miscellaneous changes added to The Lab in the Appliance of Science update include voice subtitles and translations, additional haptic feedback support while petting Fetchbot, and extra commands to help skip certain unnecessary scenes. More details are available at Valve's official announcement post, so check them out!

Sweet. I've had my Vive for a month or more now and I'm still addicted to Longbow.

Back