The Lost Coast to be Released After DOD: Source

Why is The Lost Coast being released AFTER Day of Defeat: Source?

• Valve are waiting for ATI to release their new graphics card

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valve are big meanies and dislike me :(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There is iron sights.

In the Valve week feature last week on 1up.com there was a video interview with Gabe Newell and part of the way through it shows some DOD:S footage where someone zooms in with their rifle and it shows iron sights.

Attachments

• ironsights.jpg
    ironsights.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 356
I can't wait for DOD:S. As for Lost Coast, I personally see it as something like the mod Minerva. Yes, it is fantastic, but it's short and sweet. Lost Coast will just be an appitite whetter till Afterfmath, me thinks.

That One Guy said:
I still dont under stand "because people seem to want DOD: Source more" Is going to stop LC from coming out. If its done (Witch is should be, if its not thats just sad) why dont thay release it today? thats not going to stop anyone from disliking DoD:S. if thay had the choice to release DoD:S tommaro THEN release TLC after then i could see that because more ppl do want DoD:S, but release it in a few weeks THEN TLC, im sorry but that is just dumb.

I totally agree!!!

Chris_D said:
There is iron sights.

In the Valve week feature last week on 1up.com there was a video interview with Gabe Newell and part of the way through it shows some DOD:S footage where someone zooms in with their rifle and it shows iron sights.

Oh oh oh, missed that somehow! That's a thing of beauty, rock out with your sights out! I'll be restarting steam every five minutes now, can't wait for the preload.

*glee*

edit: I don't care how pixelated that screenie is, it's now my new wallpaper. :D

Can't say I care much about DOD: Source, and I'm not over exited about Lost coast. But I know both will sap up some time in waiting for Aftermath :)

I doubt the release of Lost Coast has anything to do with dod:s as it sounded different people at Valve were working on it.

I wonder whats keeping the lost coast they said it would have been released shortly after E3.

And I would want to finally get some TF2 info.

I'm not going to shell out any extra dosh for DoD (so I won't play it), not too fussed about the release dates of either DoD or Lost Coast, I've learned with Valve (as with most developers) their programs get released when they do, no amount of whining will change that. :)
The reason it's comming out after DoD? (who cares)

Lost Coast is going to be a free add-on, right?

Great poll :naughty: :rolling:

What the hell was that?

Lost Coast will be free for anyone who has a copy of HL2, yes.

zeOx said:
What the hell was that?

Lost Coast will be free for anyone who has a copy of HL2, yes.

Lost coast yes, DOD:S no...

I still think it's down to ATi delaying their latest card. I remember reading it a couple of weeks ago when I was expecting Lost Coast and the release was described as 'extremely near', that ATi had delayed the card until October. It's not exactly 'extremely near' anymore is it? I'm expecting an October release.

I think I'll be getting DoD: S as soon as I can afford it though :) It's looking great. Actually, I'm still excited about Lost Coast....I wanna see something in Source looking even more incredible than HL2 did!

TLC runs perfectly on x800s and above. There's nothing to wait for.

Oh and anyone who runs out to buy a £400 graphics card for a technology demo deserves everything they get anyway.

I think Lost Coast is the new Team Fortress 2. The shittier, freer equivalent of TF2.

Chris_D said:
TLC runs perfectly on x800s and above. There's nothing to wait for.

But x800's don't support Pixel Shader 3.0, unlike the latest nVidia cards. ATi would probably feel that if people were going to buy a new card to take advantage of the features Lost Coast is showcasing that they'd buy an nVidia card. It makes sense for them to use Lost Coast as an 'example' of the kind of thing their new card can do that their other cards couldn't.

And even if there wasn't anything to 'wait for' it wouldn't matter if Valve and ATi had an agreement that Valve would release the 'ATi Levels' as they were once called when ATi felt they were ready for them.

Its simple they dont want the lost coast to get in the way of a DoD:S preload.

But x800's don't support Pixel Shader 3.0, unlike the latest nVidia cards.
But they support Pixel Shader 2.0b. Which is VERY much like 3.0.

btw, http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1298&page=56
Now take a look down to this part:
"Erik Johnson: Hi,

The HDR solution we're going to ship will run on virtually any DX9
capable video card. It is a fairly expensive process, so if you aren't
in the x800/6800 family of cards, then performance might not be OK for
you.

In our daily DoD: Source playtests I run with HDR on on a 9800XT and my
framerate is fine for me, but you'll have to try it out on your card
yourself.

Hope this helps.

Erik"

If they can get a 9800XT to handle HDR, then add in a x800XT and it should handle HDR alot better(2.0b) plus alot higher polygon counts thus suiting it for Lost Coast.

Mr-Fusion said:
I say Valve is holding out on the new ATI cards.

Though i'm damn glad the lost cost lack of release isn't holding back dod:S. That would be extremely frustrating.

I was reading the comments before i made mine, and Mr. Fusion nailed it on the head on how I feel too!

Hulk

Opinion 2.0 :)

I still don't believe they're not finished with it yet. I think the hype for Lost Coast has been blown way out of proportion, and Valve knows it. When it is released, people will be let down. By releasing DOD:S, the fanbase relaxes a bit, during that time, they release TLC, which softens the blow of angry e-mails and disapointments.

Does anyone know if HDR can be turrned off in Lost Coast? I know Valve has said HDR will be included in all of their future games but it will be toggleable in those games.

Minerel said:

From an ATi sales point of view that doesn't matter. If someone was asked what the best card on the market was you couldn't say "I recommend an ATi x800xt because it has Pixel Shader 2.0b and it's almost as good as 3.0. Oh yeah, these nVidia's have that."

ATi are going to want their best card available for something that takes advantage of it. If you're business partners with someone you wouldn't want them releasing a product that your product couldn't handle and your leading rival could would you?

its hard to fathom people still dont believe the release of tlc and ati's new offerings are tied together. if you follow what valve has said, and when they said it in relation to ati's delaying you would clearly see they are linked. the only reason dod:s is comming out now is valve didnt want the backlash of bs posters on forums saying they delayed dod:s because of ati levels.

I would like lost coast more but thats only because i dont really care much about DOD:S.

Its a smarter move tho. Im not mad :p

Buveed said:
I still don't believe they're not finished with it yet. I think the hype for Lost Coast has been blown way out of proportion, and Valve knows it. When it is released, people will be let down. By releasing DOD:S, the fanbase relaxes a bit, during that time, they release TLC, which softens the blow of angry e-mails and disapointments.

EXACTAMUNDO

From an ATi sales point of view that doesn't matter. If someone was asked what the best card on the market was you couldn't say "I recommend an ATi x800xt because it has Pixel Shader 2.0b and it's almost as good as 3.0. Oh yeah, these nVidia's have that."
Yes, but to bad Valve is not ATI's bitch they are partners.
If ATI cards can handle it, which obvioulsy if a 9800XT for DoD can why can't a much more powerfull and easier-to-do-hdr-card-cuz-it-has-2.0b not run Lost Coast?

ATi are going to want their best card available for something that takes advantage of it. If you're business partners with someone you wouldn't want them releasing a product that your product couldn't handle and your leading rival could would you?
No I wouldn't but that makes no sense considering I think it's obvious by now THE X800\X850 CAN HANDLE IT.

Jesus. Yes, It can handle it, but as I'm sure Valve has said themselves Pixel Shader 2.0b isn't the same as Pixel Shader 3.0 (obviously). Pixel Shader 3.0 HDR effects look better, they're closer to what developers are trying to achieve by introducing HDR and closer to what people who play games want in games.

So, from ATi's point of view...it makes no sense whatsoever for them to say "Go ahead Valve, release the HDR showcase maps you initially intended to create solely to show off the power of the Source engine on ATi cards which will look (no matter how superficially) better on our closest rivals cards".

I don't doubt The Lost Coast will run fine on a lot of cards, but it doesn't mean it won't harm ATi sales if the best cards they can produce don't match up to their rival's standards. ATi aren't holding the maps hostage by doing this, Valve are holding their end of a deal.

You have to bare in mind that as a company you have to assume you're customers are idiots and don't have all the knowledge available to them, and that a lot of people buy on face value. At the moment nVidia are holding all the cards in a technical video card sense.

Don't get me wrong I don't blame Valve or ATi for doing this, after all it's their business, but I think you're being completely ignorant to the business side of this. ATi sell graphics cards, they have an agreement with Valve, and The Lost Coast is a free add-on by Valve showcasing their latest technology.

GonzoBabbleshit said:
Jesus. Yes, It can handle it, but as I'm sure Valve has said themselves Pixel Shader 2.0b isn't the same as Pixel Shader 3.0 (obviously). Pixel Shader 3.0 HDR effects look better, they're closer to what developers are trying to achieve by introducing HDR and closer to what people who play games want in games.

My understanding is that you're completely wrong here. The visual image achieved by both is the same. Where 3.0 has an advantage is in the coding of the shaders. I believe that it has conditional logic (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here) that allows the coding to be more efficient. The resultant image, however, is the same.

So, if you're using a 3.0 capable nvidia card you may get a few extra fps over the ati card. This doesn't make any real difference when using a mid-range to high-end card as the fps achievable are sufficient to maintain smooth motion. On lower end cards the extra fps could be a small advantage for the nvidia cards (not sure if their low-end cards have 3.0, though).

(edited for grammatical errors)

Valve are waiting for ATI to release their new graphics card

i believe that's what happening. not long ago they were saying they'd release TLC in a couple of weeks, then suddenly it's not finished and there's not even any ETA for it ? naaaaah. i don't know about you guys, but if i say that something's to be released in a couple of weeks then it's pretty much ready to be shipped. the reason why it would suddenly disappear from valve's schedule is but fishy. IMO the synchronization with the ATI incident isn't purely a coincidence. ATI spent a lot of money supporting valve, and afaik there hasn't really been any feedback. considering TLC was codenamed "the ATI levels" and all, TLC really looks like what ATI hasn't got yet : a payback from valve to them for the support they gave them.

ajhodge said:
My understanding is that you're completely wrong here. The visual image achieved by both is the same. Where 3.0 has an advantage is in the coding of the shaders. I believe that it has conditional logic (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here) that allows the coding to be more efficient. The resultant image, however, is the same.

So, if you're using a 3.0 capable nvidia card you may get a few extra fps over the ati card. This doesn't make any real difference when using a mid-range to high-end card as the fps achievable are sufficient to maintain smooth motion. On lower end cards the extra fps could be a small advantage for the nvidia cards (not sure if their low-end cards have 3.0, though).

(edited for grammatical errors)

No. Check the bittech link earlier; the higher quality HDR implementation will require SM3.0 and 16bit floating point processing, all of which the current highend ATI cards do not have

jondy said:
No. Check the bittech link earlier; the higher quality HDR implementation will require SM3.0 and 16bit floating point processing, all of which the current highend ATI cards do not have

heh, how many times does it need to be said... if only people would actually read the stuff in this thread and stopped asking stupid questions *sigh* :D

Who gives a shit about HDR :dork: I just want DoD:S, which looks great!

Minerel said:

btw, http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1298&page=56
Now take a look down to this part:
"Erik Johnson: Hi,

The HDR solution we're going to ship will run on virtually any DX9
capable video card. It is a fairly expensive process, so if you aren't
in the x800/6800 family of cards, then performance might not be OK for
you.

In our daily DoD: Source playtests I run with HDR on on a 9800XT and my
framerate is fine for me, but you'll have to try it out on your card
yourself.

Hope this helps.

Erik"

If they can get a 9800XT to handle HDR, then add in a x800XT and it should handle HDR alot better(2.0b) plus alot higher polygon counts thus suiting it for Lost Coast.
Yah thats why the X800 can run Far Cry HDR and Splinter Cell:CT HDR :rolleyes:

Yah thats why the X800 can run Far Cry HDR and Splinter Cell:CT HDR
They are partners with Nvidia of course they wont support 2.0b.
Hell I believe SC:CT dosn't even support 2.0. just goes from 1.4 to 3.0.
Far Crys was a quick a poorly implemented one. They went they easy route and didn't want to spend time optimizing the hell out of it so it would fully work on 2.0b. Did it even support 2.0 or 2.0b? Not even sure on that.

Bad news it could be anything from 2 weeks to 3 months before its released cant believe they would not want to release a free techdemo first to get people hyped but no.

Minerel said:
They are partners with Nvidia of course they wont support 2.0b.
Hell I believe SC:CT dosn't even support 2.0. just goes from 1.4 to 3.0.
Far Crys was a quick a poorly implemented one. They went they easy route and didn't want to spend time optimizing the hell out of it so it would fully work on 2.0b. Did it even support 2.0 or 2.0b? Not even sure on that.
QFT - SC:CT was a real kick in the balls especially, they didn;t even try to implement SM2.0

Atomi said:
Who gives a shit about HDR :dork: I just want DoD:S, which looks great!

Lmao seriously though, let's get an actual game here instead of falling over ourselves for some rendering effects. Whoopie. DOD will kick ass

Back