The Movies Now Showing on Steam

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Lionhead's The Movies just released on Steam along with it's expansion pack The Movies: Stunts & Effects. Each title is now available for purchase on Steam for $19.95. Save 10% when you buy before June 22. or you can pick both of them for a special price here.

Lionhead's Hollywood-inspired movie studio sim allows you to run the studio, make the stars, and shoot the movies. The expansion pack adds stunts, stunt men, new props, effects, sets and costumes to the game.

Go make some Half-Life inspired movies NOW !

Man Valve is seriously pumping these out like nothing.

I don't like the movies. I was really hyped for it before it came out, as I was a fan of this other game (3D Movie Maker), which let you create full movies with special effects. Me and my mate were so pro at that game. Some of the things he did were just amazing for such a non-open engine which had terrible graphics (even for then) and a very small amount of animation options.

Unfortunately, seeing the game once it came out, seems very enclosed, which, while it probably has its own awesome story etc. Didn't really appeal to my hopes of being able to create more hilarious movies.

I don't like the movies. I was really hyped for it before it came out, as I was a fan of this other game (3D Movie Maker), which let you create full movies with special effects. Me and my mate were so pro at that game. Some of the things he did were just amazing for such a non-open engine which had terrible graphics (even for then) and a very small amount of animation options.

Unfortunately, seeing the game once it came out, seems very enclosed, which, while it probably has its own awesome story etc. Didn't really appeal to my hopes of being able to create more hilarious movies.

Hah, oh my god... I remember that game.

scrapong the bottom of the barrel me think's , come on valve you can do better than this rubbish ;)

The Movies is actually pretty high-quality, if you take mods into account.

the whole concept doesnt appeal to me.. that's me though

t seems more like a digital toy (much akin to spore) rather than an actual game

the whole concept doesnt appeal to me.. that's me though

t seems more like a digital toy (much akin to spore) rather than an actual game

Get this. Most games are. :O

:p

What, like The Sims, or SimCity, or Theme Park World, or - ok, anything made by Maxis, or GMod, or...

I bought this at retail and have to say it was excellent fun (9.5/10). The only annoying aspect is that you need to play through the game to achieve Platinum status to unlock the sandbox mode and all of the various sets available which is no mean feat tbh. My honest advice is you look for an unlock code on the net and save yourself the frustration as it requires a precise strategy to achieve platinum in the time available. I would also say it's worth buying the bundle as the stunts and effects package adds in a lot of new features, especially the ability to set your own camera positions up. If you want to dip a toe into the realms of machinima it's a good starting point.

I'm talking about how it doesn't have and specific gameplay goals..

It's a sandbox game, but one that allows you to actually make something for your time and effort that you can show to others, rather than just walk down corridors and shoot things. The idea of constructive game play might be quite an alien concept, but all that is required is a bit of imagination.

The Movies is fun for a looong time. It gets a little boring after a while, but it is a fun little game.

I got this game for retail when it came out in 2005.

Still among my top 10 favorite games, would reccomend :)

Back