The New "unlock" system

The only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased, unprejudiced, fair.

YOU CAN NOT REFERENCE YOURSELF OUT OF THIS PREDICAMENT NO MATTER HOW FITTING OR GOOD THE REFERENCE MAY BE.

It's not about what you want, it's about what's FAIR!

Played for 4 hours. Got **** all. Saw about 5 people who played on the same server for roughly the same period of time who got 4-5 unlocks.

Tossers.

EDIT: Bank holiday tomorrow, amirite? No fix till Tuesday I guess. :(

chilled out in a valve pub in spectate overnight

spent roughly 8~ hours there, got the huntsman + dead ringer + jarate + razorback! :D

Teem_Fawtress___Episode_16_by_JunkieMonkey121.png

Spoiler that shit, it probably kills people with smaller monitors than mine.

It's funny because in game, I haven't seen much people whine like here. Goes to prove how much gaming forums are totally disconnected from the general gaming population.

I've seen people whine all the time on servers. "Great, another ****ing Sandvich".

Everybody's whining on every server I go to. What weird strange reality do you live in, HentaiAvatar?

Yup everyone is very disillusioned in the servers i've been in. You'd have to be an idiot to argue for this...

Played far too much today and, still, nothing. :(

It's funny because in game, I haven't seen much people whine like here. Goes to prove how much gaming forums are totally disconnected from the general gaming population.

It's funny because in game, every one who talks about the system pretty much trashes it.

Okay, does creating your own server and idling in it actually work?

I created my own, joined a team, and went to bed for about 10 hours. Nothing when I woke up.

Maybe that's because forums are a medium for communicating, and TF2 is instead primarily a medium for shooting people.

And you're wrong.

In probably half of the servers I've ventured into, I hear people bitching about the new system. Usually starts with someone asking, "What's that found stuff in the chat?"

2 hours and got my 4th kritzkrieg.
8 hours and i got my 3rd backburner.
4 days since update, nothing NEW.

Damnit.

I got another pair of KGB. That's it. I'm starting up my boxing career.

I only just got my piss jar. Not enough imo.

Also, i note that it says at the start of the thread that it's based on your average play time.

So, my average playtime is usually high because i freaking love TF, but this week i can't play so much, because my playtime is less than average it's gonna take twice as long in between each unclock.

To recap;

People who never play the game and are a drain on society in general = low average playtime = get weapons quick this week.

People who love TF2, play it every day, and would literally suck gabe off = high average = have to play for ages this week to get the weapons.

Nice one jackasses.

I've been playin' a bunch and then when I'm not, I'm just sitting in an achievement_idle server and I've managed to get the two spy watches... still no bow and arrow for the sniper which is what I really want, though. :(

Doing this is so lame, but it's a lame system... just give everyone the new shit for ****'s sake... or at the most have it cost like 100 points for an unlock of your choice.

Lol, so Valves attempts to stop people farming on Achievement servers drove them to idling on them instead. Smart move indeed.

I guess this just proves people will act like idiots no matter what Valve try.

Lol, so Valves attempts to stop people farming on Achievement servers drove them to idling on them instead. Smart move indeed.

What you don't understand is that achievement servers are THE DEVIL.

Why? Why?! BECAUSE THEY ARE!

I guess this just proves people will act like idiots no matter what Valve try.

Maybe you should lightly entertain the idea that this system is stupid and better alternatives are available.

"We based the system on granting items on the amount of time played because we don't want players to have to do weird things like join achievement grinding servers to get new content."

greatjobvalve.jpg

zing.

What you don't understand is that achievement servers are THE DEVIL.

Why? Why?! BECAUSE THEY ARE!

I don't think it's fair to act as if there is no valid argument against achievement servers. Valve has stated that the point of achievements was not to complete them all in half an hour and have your new weapons, but instead to achieve them over the course of drawn-out, typical gameplay. By grinding achievements, anyone can sit down and have the weapons in an hour; you may say there's nothing wrong with this, but Valve's intentions were that dedicated players should receive the weapons first. I think that's fair; why should some nub who can spend 30 minutes in an achievement server have the weapons before someone who invests time into the game and is actually good at it?

Of course, I think that unlocks as they are now are a bit too broken to actually be a good system. The same issue arises with people idling in servers, for example. But I think that if the system can be revised to be more consistent while still inviting normal gameplay as opposed to grinding, it'll be a good method of unlocking weapons.

Edit: Also, I think that a pretty big deciding factor in people's reaction of this system is the fact that we've all become accustomed to grinding achievements in a day to get the new weapons immediately. If Valve had started off with this system, I don't think there would be quite so much resistance.

Except that anyone could use achievement servers. I'm sorry if you're upset that I didn't bother waiting through weeks of normal gameplay to get the last achievement I needed to get the last unlock I might have needed while you were super hardcore and just got it by accident. If people want the unlocks immediately, let them have them immediately. Having them force themselves to play the game forever to get unlocks is not going to get them to like the game.

This is a multiplayer FPS, there should be no unlock crap except for cosmetic things like the hats. If a sniper shoots me with a Bow, I should be able to do the same. Same kinda shit in BF2, yeah you can kill people just fine with default weapons but not as many as you may kill with the unlocks.

Just give everyone everything so they can pick and choose. I don't wanna get killed by people who have a certain weapon and for whatever reason I don't. In TF2's case that reason is luck now, before it was time you could spare to dick around instead of playing.

Then it'll be all "sif hunts/rzr nub"

Then everyone will compare gear and ass-hattery occurs.

Ala WoW

Except that anyone could use achievement servers. I'm sorry if you're upset that I didn't bother waiting through weeks of normal gameplay to get the last achievement I needed to get the last unlock I might have needed while you were super hardcore and just got it by accident. If people want the unlocks immediately, let them have them immediately. Having them force themselves to play the game forever to get unlocks is not going to get them to like the game.

Just because anyone could use achievement servers doesn't mean anyone should. Valve's system is intended to be a means to reward players who play more frequently and thereby have more experience with actual TF2 gameplay; whether or not it works like that is another matter that will undoubtedly be addressed with time. I seriously doubt that the goal behind this is to have us "play the game forever" in some sick scheme to get those who already own TF2 to like it. If someone don't enjoy playing TF2 for whatever amount of time, then that person probably won't play long enough to enjoy his unlocks, don't you think? (Assuming the system is fixed to deal with people playing for 10 hours and getting nothing at all; once again, I'm not supporting the current method of unlocking weapons.)

In addition, I don't think that everyone wants the unlocks to be available immediately. Plenty of people like having the unlockables as a reward for putting in some effort, and clearly this is how Valve envisioned the new weapons as well. You aren't being denied the unlocks entirely, but merely being asked to be patient; I don't see why a group of people stamping their feet and saying "but I want them NOW" is grounds for a complete overhaul of the unlock system.

I seriously doubt that the goal behind this is to have us "play the game forever" in some sick scheme to get those who already own TF2 to like it.
Perhaps not, but Valve have all but admitted the whole point is to get people to play more.

Back