The New Weapon(s)

Reaction score
It's about time that Valve introduces a new weapon to the Half-Life series. Considering that we haven't seen any new weapons since Half-Life 2, I think it's time to see some. Some people might say that the Strider Buster counts as a new weapon, but I count it as a convenient device, rather than a new weapon. My definition of a new weapon is a gun that can be held and carried by the player and selected out of the player's weapons cache. So, until I see a new weapon in the Half-Life series that fits my definition, I will be on edge, so to speak.

What do you all think about this subject? Do you think it's time that Valve software introduces a new weapon to the Half-Life series, and do you think that Episode Three will be the game to bring us it? Please discuss this, as I would like to view all opinions on this matter.

Can i be the first to say there are already threads discussing new weapon ideas?

I figured that would be the case, and I am sorry if I recreated an old thread. I'm just over-enthusiastic, I suppose. ;) I'm not really asking what the new weapons could be. I'm asking what it would take to add new weapons to Episode Three, and if Valve would do it. But, I see your point, so I'll just wait for a moderator's input.

They should. I am tired of the same weapons. I guarantee they will have some new ones though.

Well, that's what they said about Episode One and Episode Two, and still we received nothing. Hopefully Valve makes Episode Three an epic game, without ending the series in the process.

They said that about Episode One and Two? I don't really remember that. But, Episode Three is such a secret that I guarantee they will have new weapons are a new weapon.

Well, that's just me. I mean, it's not really the truth. I'm just saying that because the game is such a secret. If they didn't put a new weapon in then it would just be stupid.

if the weapons bother you so much, get some friggin skins... jeeze, i like half life because its not your typical gun game where its all about weapuhns! and how cool they gotta be... Exactly why you dont get guns that shoot lazer beams like halo. sure, if they added 1 or two new weapons to the arsenal that were very different than what you have, rather than having a new smg that just looks different and sounds different... But lets not pick on valve, they did a excellent job introducing us to so many new things in hl2 episode 2, and im sure they do taht even more in episode 3... again, you should get some skins...

Were not talking about skins to make the weapons Gordon already has look different. Were talking about a whole new weapon. Besides, skins wouldn't feel the same because it's not from the actual game. Were not picking on Valve, it would just be nice if Episode Three had at least 1 new weapon, which they probably will have. But, if they don't then that's fine. The storyline and what happens is more important to me.

HL2 doesn't need new weapons, just new ways to use them.

What? Like meleeing with them?

Seriously though, they should have at least 1 new weapon.

A new gimmick, perhaps (i.e. bug bait, Magnusson device), but probably not a conventional weapon. This late into the series, any new "weapon" they introduce explicitly for episode 3 is considered a gimmick in my book.

The gluon gun would be rad though.

My favourite gun (from any game) is the tau cannon. I would love to see a hand-held version again.

Yeah, exactly, the gauss gun (i like to call it that). They should bring that back. I wouldn't find it as a gimmick. Or maybe you'll find a new gun on the Borealis.

Isn't it speculation that the Borealis will be carrying the Portal gun? Or something similar at least...

I don't give a damn if any new weapon is a gimmick so long as it's satisfying to use.

I don't want any truely new weapon, but if one of the HL1 weapons made a comeback I wouldn't mind.

Maybe snarks like cold climates! Well, I do remember finding them in air conditioning vents :p

I'd feel lost without a crowbar, for at-least a chapter...

The firearm-array seems fine without a cliche-type of bullet-beamer. I'd like to see a change in the grenade-selection though. A chronocannister, knocking an enemy a-couple-seconds backward in-time... or maybe a remote 'enveloper' that, when thrown, kills the enemy with the enemy's own gunburst or grenade. But I'm positive I'll be satisfied with anything new...

I have probs with all grenade-equipped games, because one can land right-beside an antagonist and not kill it, but I can be killed from dozens of yards away by one of my mis-throws...

Old stuff is boring.
The crowbar should stay, but they could atleast modify the SMG or AR and provide something cooler than the gravity gun.
New is always better.

That was the plan orignally (a vortigaunt would rip it off for you). A bit of a shame that didn't make the final cut.

Valve must introduce new weapons in the final episode because the players are tired to play with the old ones :)

This thread gives me deja vu.

We've had the same thread before each episode. :rolleyes:

If they add any new weapons, I only want weapons that fill an empty role, that serve their own unique purpose. We don't need another pistol, another SMG, or another shotgun. And we certainly don't need a bloody sniper rifle, the crossbow serves that purpose and far more awesomely, at that.

First and foremost, I want the SLAM from HL2DM:
I miss the laser tripmine and satchel charge from Half-Life, and the SLAM combines both of those functions, making it a very interesting tool. Granted, you don't have a whole lot of practical application for a weapon like this in HL since you're usually on the offence, but if they did add it they could manufacture some gameplay to suit it that might be an interesting change of pace.

Say, for example, that Gordon and Alyx's helicopter gets shot down at the start of the episode and they end up stranded some distance from their destination, with a large force of Overwatch soldiers from some nearby base on the way, and their only means of escape is through a network of tunnels/caves, with aliens of some kind (Antlions, zombies, some new kind of alien, whatever) inside. The player could be required to use SLAMs to set traps for the soldiers to slow them down while Alyx pushes forward and keeps the aliens off of you, creating an interesting mix of cooperative combat and a defensive retreat.

I'd feel lost without a crowbar, for at-least a chapter...
That's Lowlife for you. Never have I missed a weapon more...
What? Like meleeing with them?
No. A good example is the Magnusson Device. It is planted by one weapon (gravity gun) and detonated by another (pistol, shotgun, whatever you choose). And I actually thought that sniping for medkits was interesting (antlion grubs). Really, be creative. Knocking over antlions is a classic.
Old stuff is boring.
The crowbar should stay, but they could atleast modify the SMG or AR and provide something cooler than the gravity gun.
New is always better.
So basically removing one of the most creative concepts in any FPS? And try to justify modifying any of those weapons.

I wouldn't be suprised if you can aquire the Gravity Gun on the Borialis, however, unless they're careful, it could break the game. *Shrug*

New weapons in episode 3??? Nah, of course not.
What kind of weapons??

Back