The Ship Released!

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
The Ship, a retail game on the Source engine, by independent developer Outerlight, was unlocked over Steam seconds ago.[br]
1152641074_theship.jpg
[br]
The Ship, a massively mysterious thriller (MMT) from Outerlight Ltd, is available now via Steam, Valve's electronic distribution platform. Set onboard a 1920's luxury liner, Mr X, the Ship's owner has "invited" you to a mysterious multiplayer game of hunt and hunted, as players must secretly track and extinguish specified passengers while avoiding similar fate. The ship is available for just $19.95.

That's all I've got to say! Time to play!

cool,I wonder if people will like it,coz its an odd type of gameplay

$20 for not even a successful mod!?
no thx! ;)

TwwIX said:
$20 for not even a successful mod!?
no thx! ;)
Says you

Ship had some very original gameplay concepts. Which cant even be said for a lot of "sucessfull" mods out there.
*cough*everything WWII related*cough*

It's finalizing the download and decryption veeeeeeery slowly. Might not be ready to play for another hour or so :(

Lemme know if it's good to buy...I might consider.
Though I got a feeling of The Hidden when I was reading a discription ;P

Oh wow, I get to pay for something with the same gameplay as the orginal which is free??? Fantastic! :frown:

the original was quite nice, but I am also cheap
long wait til retail :/

i'm getting it, not only because i felt the original Ship was undermined by the GoldSrc engine limitations (HL1) and still felt pretty good, but because this is indie, and damn me if i won't support it.

I've just played a bit of it - it's weird. I'm not sure yet if I like it or not. Certainly well done though.

Same sentiments here, I'm simply not paying for an unsucessful hl1 mod on source, seems every blummin half arsed mod is being sold via steam now.

Such as?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but The Ship is the first Source mod to be sold via Steam. Garry's Mod is going to be, so that makes a grand total of...

Two.

Sounds weird. You don't know who you're supposed to kill until you learn their name somehow?

A review would be cool. I like the look, but I'm not sure as to how well it plays.

I will definatly think about buying it, i was a big fan of the original, i'm still deciding though.

welp, the game definately went beyond my expectations. it's seriously fun, and a real adventure tracking down your victim while trying not to look suspicious. all the while looking over your shoulder wondering whether or not your hunter has caught up with you. at the same time, the needs are keeping people circulating around the ship.

and the maps! well, they are very well done. one map is absolutely huge with 7 decks to roam around. the ships are complete and really give the feeling of being in a living breathing minature city. at many points, I found myself losing myself in the ships while exploring, and sometimes even forgeting that there was a quarry to be killed. there is just so much freedom.

This game is definately a must have and for $20 you can't go wrong. This isn't just a mod with a pricetag. when you get in the game, it doesn't take long to appreciate that.

Enjoyed the first one and I'll probably get this version as well. Can't say if it'll become popular or not. It's a like-it-or-hate-it.

I recommend this purchase.

For $20 bucks, it's definitely worth it. Not $50, maybe, but $20 is a good deal.

I liked the mod on the HL1 engine, but I won't buy without a demo or a free weekend like for DoD.

AmishSlayer said:
Sounds weird. You don't know who you're supposed to kill until you learn their name somehow?
You have to go up and talk to them to get their ID, the risk is you may be the quarry of one of the people you speak to, putting yourself in deep trouble. I'd love to get this, but no credit card, and my aunt won't let me borrow hers because of fraud problems (it wasn't me!) D:

I've looked over reviews of this game, and it seems very interesting...but I won't buy it because it's a multiplayer game. I'm sorry, but no matter what game it is, when it comes to MP, it's always about who's been playing the longest, who's memorized the maps, and who's figured out all the little exploits. The Day of Defeat Free weekend only drove this feeling of mine into stone.

Toekneebullard, Multiplayer is not about who has been playing the longest, it's about who is most skillfull. Sounds to me like you dont like spending the time learning the mechanics of a new game, this is your problem and I suggest you get over it if you want to keep playing games. And secondly, The Ship has a single player mode too.

how many mp maps are there...and what's the sp mode about?

I liked the original but 20$ is more than I'm willing to pay at the moment...

Dagok said:
Toekneebullard, Multiplayer is not about who has been playing the longest, it's about who is most skillfull.
No, that's the problem, it's NOT about skill, it's about who knows all the exploits, and who knows all the best camping spots in the map.

I would hope that most of this wouldn't apply to this game, but I just can't risk my 20 dollars being wasted because most internet players and exploit using little bastards.

toekneebullard said:
No, that's the problem, it's NOT about skill, it's about who knows all the exploits, and who knows all the best camping spots in the map.

I would hope that most of this wouldn't apply to this game, but I just can't risk my 20 dollars being wasted because most internet players and exploit using little bastards.

If you honestly think that about all games you need help, that or you need to find a new hobby.

It's a ****ing awsome game, I spent 3-4 hours tonight playing Hunt on my own created server, if you get nice guys in it's ace, plus I got to play versus one of the [OL] guys, ofcourse he kicked everyones arse.:)
Anyway, out of all the time I played, I didn't encounter someone using exploits nor in any way CAMPING, because the game is designed for you not to be able to camp, an example is that you have needs, i.e. you need to talk, sleep, eat, entertain yourself etc, so you can't just camp in one spot 'forever'...
The only thing I've so far noticed that 'jerks' do, is kill innocent people, even though it fines'em, they still do it, but that's why I like having my own server, I can easily kick'em out :p

Sprafa said:
i'm getting it, not only because i felt the original Ship was undermined by the GoldSrc engine limitations (HL1) and still felt pretty good, but because this is indie, and damn me if i won't support it.
lol?

I used ot play The SHip for HOURS on HL1 - but as far as Im aware it was a very niche product. Im not all sure why it has been picked up for retail. Ok ok. Its polished its solid intuitive gameplay...its ORIGINAL.

As far as gameplay, I would say its a physcological thriller. Not specifically for twitch players. But for those who like to really think about there next move. Infact, in a lot of ways it is like chess

Would like to try this before I might buy it, what about a demo. ?

another thing...I just went over the weapon selection and seems alot of the original weapons(even the more creative ones) has been switched out with meele weapons. although some of the weapons didn't make much sense to have laying around in the original ship(although with mr. X and all, it's not that important) it still seems it would make for much more interesting murders(e.g. Lobbing grenades around corners from out of sight, satchel charges, umbrella or sniping with the crossbow) now it seems it would easily degrade into melee situations only...which could both get boring(how differently does the melee weapons perform?) and also potentially drag the games out as having to kill with melee weapons is much more difficult(as you willl have to have your quarry isolated, unlike ranged weapons where just YOU need to be out of sight)

so how does this whole melee situation feel? how many of those weapons are you allowed to carry around freely(umbrella)?

I've played it. It's alright, not worth 20 bucks imo though, lag and bugs galore, finding a server is like wandering through the desert searching for an oasis...glad I only spent $14 on it. It's a fun game in some ways I guess, but probably not something I'm going to play for months on end.

Not sure if to go for this or DOD:S. I'll await further gameplay comments.

I played it for HL1 it was ok but I played it when the game was... dead with players.

Just bought it and downloading all 1.2gb of it. This better be good for $24 (damn tax!).

Back