The Situation In Ukraine

f1r3b4ll

Reaction score
Well after watching the protests on TV, I thought I'd chip in my 2-cents...

For too long now the Ukrainian people have been struggling to off-load their oppresive dictatorship, which in turn is trying to piece together the crumbs of a Former U.S.S.R.
On it's own the Ukraine has an excellent chance of becoming part of the E.U. and recieving financial help towards rebuilding the country... but i think it might be a little too late for this.
I really can't see the situation being resolved peacefully and even so early it's clear the number of those opposed to the supposed winner of the election are so eager to make themselves heard, surely just a matter of days before this turns from a peaceful protest to a bloody battle...
Lol and who said computer games didn't reflect real life ? - A crumbling middle east country.. oppresive dictatorship and political bribery.... :)

Seriously though, someone seriously needs to step in and either declare a re-count or that the voting was null and void, Already over 20,000 protestors are spending their second night outside the government offices trying to get attention and let the whole world see just what is happening...

Opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko has claimed victory from the election and word is just coming out that "Mr Yushchenko swore an oath this evening inside parliament and here on the streets they have taken that as his official inauguration."

So where next for this troubled country ?

Dave AKA Fireball

Quote from President Leonid Kuchma.

"This political farce being played out now [by the opposition]... is very dangerous and can lead to unforeseen consequences,"

Clever people will get what Im digging at here

f1r3b4ll said:
Quote from President Leonid Kuchma.

"This political farce being played out now [by the opposition]... is very dangerous and can lead to unforeseen consequences,"

Clever people will get what Im digging at here
another note, the current pres of ukraine was a nuke factory administrator, thats right, he made nukes, he plays with the big boys

I'm fairly surprised this isn't bigger news it's potentially one of the most important stories of the year.

Currently the outgoing President has warned of Civil war. The "loser" in the elections has called for a general strike and the "Winner" had called for talks at one point.

It all makes the situation very delicate and I'm intrigued to see how it plays out. georgia had a similar situation earlier this year and it was resolved peacfully and the correct man eventually got inot office but in this case Russia has far more vested interests ( The Black Sea Fleet being one ) and the lines of the populace are a bit more along the lines of serbians and albanians ie more distinct rather than being simply opposing political views. the west of the country has less cultural ties with russia than does the east which is where the two candidates each have their relative power bases. It'll be crucial how the security forces react to any sort of general strike - so far everything has been peacefull but should something start .. then yeah will get pretty nasty I think

well, the east only has more cultural ties with russia, because their all russian. the 1933 "famine" was a way to get rid of as many ukrianians as possible, the ones that lived were sent to the gulags. all the empty towns and cities were filled up with poor russians that moscow didnt see as "savory". btw, im ukrainian. another note; the major newsgrousp fail to mention this tidbit of info

I feel very frustated when I see someone stealing elections like this. At least the Ukranians are peacefully (for now) protesting instead of doing nothing.

Anyways, good luck to Ukrainians.

Back