The Strider Beam

soulslicer

Tank
Reaction score
As you all know, the strider beam is one of the most incredible things to look at as it blasts stuff. However, all these beam scenes are all pre-animated (No AI). Even in Ep2, i thought they might ai to the beam, but it looks like they didnt. They just intergerated the cinematic physics with the beam. So my question is, will the beam have AI??

why would the beam need to have ai? It's just going in a straight line to a predefined location..?

it is part of the striders weaponary. It would be really cool if the strider could use the beam "willingly". EX. -->Like if you move your ass behind a bunch of trees, the strider gets pissed and beams you, setting tree on fire.

I'm sure the beam will do some scripted things but I think the Strider might start using it willingly in EP. 2.. If not I still like the scripted physics.

This weapon is far too powerful to be used frequently. Guess what will happen if the strider 'decides' to shoot at us with an overlapping beams of singularity fire. We're doomed...

This weapon is far too powerful to be used frequently. Guess what will happen if the strider 'decides' to shoot at us with an overlapping beams of singularity fire. We're doomed...

So what's the problem? I remember some of you bitching about how the game isn't hard enough. Besides it takes some time for the Strider to CHARGE TEH LAZER!!11 so you could take cover.

I'm with Remus. Hooray Singularity Cannon!

I'm not sure it would work. It'd be cool, but it isn't something I can see working.

Add realism to it. Something that powerful cannot be used very often. Not even the combine have mastered the art of supuer powerful waeponry.

I noticed during "Follow Freeman!" the strider beam blew something up which the Combine was on.

Ok, look from this point, this cannon can blow out a whole building (EP2 Gameplay Demo), so if we seek for realism, then our pathetic cover will go kab00gaaa along with us!

I noticed during "Follow Freeman!" the strider beam blew something up which the Combine was on.
It's not like they care. If they have to eliminate you, I'm sure they'll come after and shoot at you regardless if their 'allies' are in the line of fire.

Plenty more where they came from!

It'd be cool, but i've yet to figure out a way to get it working AND fun.

Idea on how it could work:
Striders will only use it on groups of people. That way, you can get a warning (Rebel standing next to you shouting it out), you can run while the strider aims at one location and it cna show off some rebel scattering and finding cover AI.

I wonder if the new foliage system allows you to destroy trees and stuff. Because it'd be lame for buildings and so on to be destructable but trees to be like... SUPER trees.

It'd need to be consistent though. Everything can't be destructible...so, I dunno.

You couldn't have the strider beam unscripted unless:

-There is really complex destructible/deformable terrain, similar to Red Faction.

or

-The beam is downgraded in power from what it was originally.

The first one's not worth it to implement, since the beam is the only weapon that powerful in the game, and the second one, I think, kind of defeats the point of having the massive cannon.

They could have it where the cannon charges for a shorter amount of time and is therfore less powerful.

Back