The Subtle Effects You Might Have Missed...

Spiffae

Reaction score
(I'll be refering to the Gamespot videos)

There is a lot of argument over whether Doom III or Half Life 2 has the better graphics. Certainly, on this board, HL2 has the day, but the argument is still interesting.

Doom III makes full and obvious use of shaders. Every DirectX 8 shader and effect imaginable is in full display. Bump mapping is used on nearly every object, to extremes. Lighting is all per-pixel, and is completely dynamic. A quick glance at HL2 would make you think that the Source engine is actually not as pretty as the D3 engine, when it comes to effects.

Then you look again. Certainly, HL2 does not have the unified lighting and self-shadowing that Doom does. One point for Doom. Source however, is capable of all the shaders and effects that Doom is...Valve has just used them in a *really* smart way. Let's look at some gameplay touches, and small effects, using DX8 and Source technologies that enhance the realism and quality of the environments, without whacking you over the head with the engine.

Gamespot video 1:
-When the wooden platform that's holding up barrels hits the water, the wood floats, and the barrels sink...getting darker and more distorted as the go deeper.

Gamespot video 2:
-The shadow cast by the bundle of I-Beams as they swing back and forth changes size and shape relative to the light source.

Gamespot video 3:
-In the first scene, the water in the distance is reflective, as water is in the distance. As gordon looks down, the water becomes clearer, until staring nearly straight down, you can see the bottom.
-In the background of the Alyx scene, there are two orange tubes of liquid. They bubble realistically, and distort the room behind them.
-Alyx's neck and collarbone is done with bumpmapping and geometry combined, and is really remarkable.
-The computer screen gordon knocks over is faintly reflecting the room.

Gamespot video 4:
-The small puddles of water in the floor at the very beginning of this scene seem to be made with bumpmapping. They add greatly to the visual quality of the scene.
-The sparks that the cutters make when they hit metal or concrete are the most realistic sparks i've ever seen in a game.
-The enemy who is set on fire causes a realistic glow, emphasizing the brightness of the fire.
-When gordon is shooting at the third combine as he descends that catwalk area (before the hydra) if you freeze the frame as he shoots, it shows the realistic bumpmap on the concrete wall.

Gamespot video 5:
-This one is really quick, but really spectacular. Watch the cobblestone street right as gordon strafes out. The stones themselves are so worn down that they are slightly reflective, reflecting the sunlit buildings in the distance. It's more apparent later.
-Watch for it after they flank the combine barricade. Anywhere the cobblestones are in shadow, they reflect areas in sunlight.

Gamespot video 6:
-This one is really quick, and looks so realistic that i had to watch it a few times to make sure i was seeing what i thought i was seeing. Right at the beginning, gordon walks past a blood stained booth, and down a dark hallway. Look at the wall on the left as he walks down the hallway. The paint, worn smooth with age, picks up a reflection of the light at the end of the hallway. It sounds stupid, but when you see it, you won't believe it. It's a great effect.

Oof, enough for me. I'm too into this game. Anyone want to add any? To me, this is just proof that Valve has been doing exactly what they should have been doing for the past 5 years.
cheers!

Originally posted by Spiffae
[BGamespot video 6:
-This one is really quick, and looks so realistic that i had to watch it a few times to make sure i was seeing what i thought i was seeing. Right at the beginning, gordon walks past a blood stained booth, and down a dark hallway. Look at the wall on the left as he walks down the hallway. The paint, worn smooth with age, picks up a reflection of the light at the end of the hallway. It sounds stupid, but when you see it, you won't believe it. It's a great effect.[/B]

Wow.. I havent even notised that one.. it looks like the same effect as used on the stones and it loooks amazing. I love those subtle effects. not like those overkill effects doom3 uses

WOW. Good job. I missed a lot of the stuff you told. Time for me to get my fix again, this time more carefully.

And the videos were NOT pre-rendered like some stooooooopid people think. I don't even know where that rumor came from.

i have been arguin with people about this is irc *cough*nomad*cough* and i firmyl believe that there are a lot of beautiful things in hl2 that many poeple overlook. doom3 traded high poly and many many shaders for small rooms filled with highly detailed monsters however hl2 has high poly and detailed characters as well and seems to run great, now i know we should not judge the doom3 alpha demo but i have to say doom3 sucks up a lota computer power, but hey im sure they will fix all the em leaks and bugs. hl2 is allowed to have large open areas not seen in d3 which also happened to be very detailed and still ran smooth(but wut wouldnt with radeon 9800 pro p4 3 ghz) the gameplay seems to be much more versital and varied rather than the clostraphobic maps of d3.:dozey:

Originally posted by Spiffae
Gamespot video 3:
-In the first scene, the water in the distance is reflective, as water is in the distance. As gordon looks down, the water becomes clearer, until staring nearly straight down, you can see the bottom.
-In the background of the Alyx scene, there are two orange tubes of liquid. They bubble realistically, and distort the room behind them.
-Alyx's neck and collarbone is done with bumpmapping and geometry combined, and is really remarkable.
-The computer screen gordon knocks over is faintly reflecting the room.

I will add another one to that... When Dr Kliner turns to type on his PC you can see a magnifying glass in front of the keyboard which refracts the light perfectly in the way a real magnifying glass would...

Re: Re: The Subtle Effects You Might Have Missed...

Originally posted by |MaTT|
I will add another one to that... When Dr Kliner turns to type on his PC you can see a magnifying glass in front of the keyboard which refracts the light perfectly in the way a real magnifying glass would...

Yea, when I first saw that I was like, Whoa.

Anyway, those are some really good points, Spiffae.

Whilst the engine is graphically impressive i have noticed some major errors within the engine. I wont go into detail but to emphasise what i mean watch the full fileplanet video in during the scene where gordon fires his pistol to release the 'steel girder trap' which swings down and flattens 3 soldiers. Gordon then proceeds to throw a grenade under a huge blue trash recepticle which slides off and falls on 2 more soldiers below. One soldier getts squished by a pair of girgers sticking out of the blue trash thing whislt another one gets totally flattened directly underneath it. Then gordon jumps down onto the blue trash recepticle and from there to the floor and turns left too look inside it. You can see almost all of the soldiers body clipping through the trash recepticle even though he should be totally underneath it and flatter than roadkill!!!

i notised that too.. but as they said.. alot of stuff was just implemented just for show.. so it will be fixed.. the same with the "shoe in shoe and no mp5 shadow" picture

Originally posted by EVIL
i notised that too.. but as they said.. alot of stuff was just implemented just for show.. so it will be fixed.. the same with the "shoe in shoe and no mp5 shadow" picture

Will be glad to see that fixed.

Also, pay close attention to the way light is reflected off the gauges on the dash of the dune buggy. It's reflected by the glass as well as by the gauge itself. And to top it off, the gauges actually work!

It's all in the details.

The degree of realism in HL2 is so great that its scary. It doesn't seem possible you can actually do any of the stuff they do in HL2.

I think Valve must have access to some kind of top-secret government experimental technology from the real life Black Mesa or somehow got a hold of some exotic alien technology from Area 51. No I'm not crazy, just sarcastic.:cheese:

I'm pleased with the current look of HL2. It looks like someone actually asked "SHOULD we use this effect here?" instead of just saying "OMG WE GOTS TEH EFFECTZ!" In short, HL2 looks like a game while Doom3 looks like one big tech demo.

ahh...scope

In the jail scene, after gordon knocks over the 2 turrets.

LOok at the scope of his rifle, does it have real time reflections? it seems to faintly refelect the room that was behind you in a red shade.

...and its confirmed. THe crowbar animation was sucky cause they have not finished the crow-bar yet. Its still being worked on accordin to valve and e3 had a placehlder effect.

I think the crowbar is a silly weapon that should be left out or modified. It would be too impractical in real life to run around carrying an object as awkward as a crowbar. It is not a very portable weapon. By modified I mean that gordan should be able to use the crowbar only after finding it and picking it up. When not in use, he would have to drop it and leave it on the ground.

A cooler and more portable melee weapon would be a survival knife.

It's interesting that they have so many really excellent little effects and at the same time have some very standard things that so clearly wrong.

This screenshot is a classic example. I love the way the guy on the bottom left is crouched, as if he's sitting down. In the same image you can see the shadows from the models and the militay vehicle all point in one direction, while the shows from the terrain point in another direction.

I suppose this is a result of some parts of the development being further ahead than others.

It is amazing the extreme amount of detail just in that one mundane scene. it looks almost like a real photograph. I mean damn there's even a couple of nice-looking models of construction workers going about their construction work. In the demo video with the striders you even get to see a working street car and a bunch of NPCs running in fear from the striders.

noj, i'm guessing that's just an early screen that doesn't represent the final version. If i remember correctly, the first video to come out, as well as all the shots are from a build of the engine from LAST september. The only visuals we have of new builds are the e3 vids.

It's in one of the magazines...if you want me to look it up and quote it to you, i will.

I think the crowbar is a silly weapon that should be left out or modified

The crowbar is halflife. I would be extremely disappointed with a knife. I'll take the powerful swing and healthy thwak of a crowbar over a stabby little knife thank you very much.:)

In the demo video with the striders you even get to see a working street car...

It does look very cool, but there's something strange about that... where the hell is that streetcar coming from? Is it coming from the alien citadel?

You need the crowbar: it's not only classic, but every game under the sun has a knife. The crowbar is also way better for thwanking zombies and headcrabs. :)

Not to mention you can break planks and boxes a lot easier with a crowbar.

hehe yeah try cutting up a large wooden plank with a combat knife..
its like cutting down the largest tree in the forrest with a herring

What I said was to MODIFY the crowbar, not get rid of it. Read my post again.

There's no reason why you can't have both a knife AND a crowbar in the game.

btw, I can think of a few interesting scenarios for use of a survival knife. There are things you can do with a knife that are impossible to do with a crowbar. For example, using a knife for cutting rope or wire.

An interesting scenario would be a hostage rescue situation. Gordan has to find and rescue someone (perhaps the girl Alyx) that has been kidnapped by giovernment soldiers, perhaps as bait to lure gordan). they have her tied up somewhere bound her hands and feet with wire. When Gordan finds her he has to use the knife to cut her loose.

Another scenario could be a bomb hunt mission where Gordan has to go find and defuse a time bomb before it goes off. The knife would be needed to cut either the green or red wire on the bomb. You better guess the right wire to cut or it could blow up in your face, hehe.

Again, there are plenty of creative ways of using a knife instead of just for killing people.

:afro:

Doesn't make it any less boring and convetional.

Originally posted by chili pepper
IA cooler and more portable melee weapon would be a survival knife.

Yeah, like all the other games/mods have...

Originally posted by Apos
Doesn't make it any less boring and convetional.

So what is so original about a crowbar?? Its no different than any other generic melee weapons. it just has a diffrent shape. Big whoopee.

The diffference with a knife is how it is used, not the fact that a million games have it. In every game the only thing a knife is used for is for attacking. But a knife can be used for many interesting things besides slashing the enemy with it. For example, cutting some tripwire and setting a trap for the Strider. When the Strider approaches and trips on the wire, it will collapse into a heaping pile and be destroyed. On the other hand, the only thing a crowbar can be used for is bashing the enemy. Boring!!

Well, a crowbar would be more authentic half-life. I remember the big wrench in Opposing Forces though. That was comical.

Oh my god get rid of the crowbar? That is like the staple of Half Life! You cant want to get rid of the Crowbar and be a true Half Life fan, im sorry. And it is a crowbar there are tons of practical uses for it that im sure you can think of, if not i can post some for you.

I dont think you realise that the crowbar actually defines the whole Half Life experience. Thats why it was used in the Edge magazine advert, no words only a crowbar and a shadow. What other advert could say so much with so little?

good point, but its not like its the only game that ever used a crowbar. Affiliating HL with a weapon would be easier with some really cool weapon that barely any other game has used.....like....uhhhh a browing 9mm automatic hand gun

Where did I say to get rid of the crowbar? Does anyone grasp the meaning of to modify?

to swing a crowbar at the pace of gordon freeman, one needs strong wrists! Hes swings the thing like it was a rapier or something

:cheese:

To give my opinion on the crowbar issue..

I think the Crowbar is just simply the secondary symbol to Half-Life (the first being the logo, of course ;)).

Why, Half-Life without the Crowbar is like cheese without animals or artificial substances!

crowbar is fine, the only change id like to see with the HL/HL2 weapons is the adding of another shot gun. The spas12 is cool and all, but i think it be cooler with something like an old school personal protection shotgun like so> http://world.guns***/shotgun/ithaca37hs.jpg

Nice shotgun, but just one question...

What hapens to the spent shells?

They fly out from the opening on teh other side :)
I shot from that kind of shotgun..

Back