"The system cannot find the file specified." error

PJ

Tank
Reaction score
i was having problems with compiling my map, so i removed the .bsp from the tf2 map dir and from the mapsrc dir in sdk content along with the .vmx, the text log, and .prt. i have them backed up.

when i go to recompile my map it does this:

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_2floors"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Mar 11 2008)
1 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\team fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_2floors.vmf
Patching WVT material: maps/ctf_2floors/nature/blendgroundtogravel005_wvt_patch
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
writing C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_2floors.prt...Building visibility clusters...
done (0)
Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_hydro_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_hydro_01*.vmt
! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
Finding displacement neighbors...
Found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges.
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Building Physics collision data...

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\team fortress 2\tf" -fast "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_2floors"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Mar 11 2008)
fastvis = true
1 threads
reading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_2floors.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_2floors.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -both -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_2floors"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Mar 11 2008)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
1 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[34 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_2floors.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_2floors.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\ctf_2floors.bsp" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\wpjiscool\team fortress 2\tf\maps\ctf_2floors.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified."

then it comes up with this:

xpy06b.png

how can i get it to compile?

EDIT: if you want a copy of my map, i have a download link i will PM on request

I'm not sure, but it looks like the compiled .bsp isn't getting copied. I'd try just running vbsp to get the .bsp, then run vvis and vrad afterwards when you're sure you've sure the file has been correctly copied.

I'm not sure, but it looks like the compiled .bsp isn't getting copied. I'd try just running vbsp to get the .bsp, then run vvis and vrad afterwards when you're sure you've sure the file has been correctly copied.

the .bsp is not being made, let alone copied. also, how do i run just vbsp? do i just go F9 -> advanced then just uncheck all the boxes except '$bsp_exe'

It could be the SDK is not compatible with Windows 7 Beta.

well, i have successfully compiled the map beforehand, several times.

EDIT: when i tried compiling again, windows popped up saying vbsp.exe had stopped working, then soon after, the error message came up again.

the .bsp is not being made, let alone copied. also, how do i run just vbsp? do i just go F9 -> advanced then just uncheck all the boxes except '$bsp_exe'

I've never used the advanced stuff, just no for vvis and vrad.

EDIT: when i tried compiling again, windows popped up saying vbsp.exe had stopped working, then soon after, the error message came up again.

Have you tried those other compile tools which are meant to be faster but aren't yet? They might work.

I've got this several times. There is either a leak, or you need to use a new vmf file. If that doesn't work, use the selection tool and select the entire map and copy and paste it to a blank vmf with nothing in it.

I've got this several times. There is either a leak, or you need to use a new vmf file. If that doesn't work, use the selection tool and select the entire map and copy and paste it to a blank vmf with nothing in it.

tried that, doesn't work. i used a box around my map as a skybox so there is no leak

tschumann, can you link me to the compile tool? cheers

That's usually the message you get when you're not directing Hammer to the right vbsp.exe location. Have you checked your config?

I'm assuming that's not the problem, but it doesn't hurt to check. Hammer is extremely finicky with certain things, I wouldn't be surprised if it just stopped working with vbsp, despite the fact it was earlier. Especially with stuff like w7.

Did that work?

i didn't try it, i'd rather have HDR etc. also, i'd like to get the real one working.

That's usually the message you get when you're not directing Hammer to the right vbsp.exe location. Have you checked your config?

I'm assuming that's not the problem, but it doesn't hurt to check. Hammer is extremely finicky with certain things, I wouldn't be surprised if it just stopped working with vbsp, despite the fact it was earlier. Especially with stuff like w7.

where is the config? how do i change it?

thanks for your help guys! :cheese:

This is exactly the problem I am having in that other thread, yet I based my Hammer Configuration off that very article.

Back