The Walking Dead TV Series (AMC)

It does seem to me that people in general (not anyone here specifically, I'm talking about in real life too) have some kind of genre elitist stick up their ass over this show. As if there were really intense themes to zombie fiction anyway, it's all trope and trite in the first place. I have plenty of my own beefs with TWD for moments of poor writing and for not following through on how epic the premiere was, but it's kind of absurd how twisted people's panties seem to get about it. I think this show is great: it has gorey zombie violence it in. That's really all I ask of a zombie show...

It does seem to me that people in general (not anyone here specifically, I'm talking about in real life too) have some kind of genre elitist stick up their ass over this show. As if there were really intense themes to zombie fiction anyway, it's all trope and trite in the first place. I have plenty of my own beefs with TWD for moments of poor writing and for not following through on how epic the premiere was, but it's kind of absurd how twisted people's panties seem to get about it. I think this show is great: it has gorey zombie violence it in. That's really all I ask of a zombie show...

ya pretty much this. it's a show about zombies

ya pretty much this. it's a show about zombies

that's where the show has gone so wrong, though - the comic isn't about zombies, they are merely an excuse, a reason and a cause for these people to go out and live their lives at the brink of extinction. when i think about this show and put into effect that the creators have said they are being as truthful to the book as possible it's then that it really starts to bother me that it's a bad show, because it isn't faithful - it's a tv show about zombies with bad writing and terrible characters, and the latter two were never a problem in the comic. yes, there are zombies in the comic (obviously), but the walking dead issues have been pretty famed for being something different than a gore splatter fest, it's got a whole lot more going for it then simply being something inspired by the ...of the dead films - which, if i'm honest, i find to be incredibly intelligent films (first three) and i would use them as a counter-point against any argument that has undertones of ''it's okay to be not great because it's about zombies of all subjects''

the back-cover blurb of each the walking dead volume has this printed:

''How many hours are in a day
when you don't spend
half of them watching television?

When is the last time
any of us
REALLY
worked to get something that we wanted?

How long has it been
since any of us really
NEEDED
something that we WANTED?

The world we knew is gone.

The world of commerce and frivolous necessity has been
replaced by a world of survival and responsibility.

An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept
the globe causing the dead to rise and feed on the living.

In a matter of months society has crumbled,
no government,
no grocery stores,
no mail delivery,
no cable TV.

In a world ruled by the dead,
we are forced to finally start living.''

i think that sums the comic up perfectly.

"It's just zombies" is the apologist attitude that keeps zombie media in its trope-ic ghetto. (no offense to anyone here)

Hopefully next season it can at least move up in the world to the trope-ic jungle. BAM ZING BWONG

Back