Think you can make a sweet MMO?

Iced_Eagle

Tank
Reaction score
Acclaim is offering somebody the chance to create their own MMO that will be guaranteed to be published by Acclaim.

It's sort of like The Apprentice + American Idol + Video Games Industry = Project Top Secret.

Here's the press release about it.

Los Angeles (February 23, 2007) - Acclaim Games and video game industry superstar David Perry have partnered to present the ground-breaking "Top Secret" project. In this project, players actually get an opportunity to participate in the entire video game development process from start to finish.

In an unprecedented move for the game industry, these players will be given a chance to have their work featured in a massively multiplayer PC game that will be published by Acclaim and directed by David Perry. Perry will choose a winner from the contributors, and Acclaim will be giving them a breath-taking prize, 'A Video Game Industry Directorship', working on a new fully-funded massively multiplayer online PC game. David Perry will be their Executive Producer to help them as needed on their game, and once they complete their project, they will even earn royalties from the game sales!

"I've always loved the idea that someone, from their bedroom, reveals their passion and talent, then suddenly can have an absolutely stunning career explosion, becoming a famous Game Director with a pre-built fan base. We're going to make it happen!" says David Perry who is a Game Director and Chief Creative Officer for Acclaim Games.

David Perry will be building the new online game from scratch and is offering members of the Acclaim player community a rare opportunity to help him develop this video game in a collaborative effort with some of the industry's best talent. "We will bring in some surprise guests along the way to inspire and mentor the contributors," says Perry.

One lucky winner who shines the most during the development process will be given the top prize. "This is the only chance I know of to jumpstart a directorship career in the video game industry," continues Perry. "Everyone wins. They get to learn how to make professional games, and if they get anything in, they get a real professional credit on their resume." Perry finishes, "But, if they win, well then they get their life changed."

Interestingly, applicants don't need any prior game development experience. In fact, Perry refuses to look at resumes. "We only care about the pure, focused, passionate talent they show up with," he says.

"Top Secret is like 'The Apprentice' meets 'American Idol' meets 'The Video Game Industry'. We're giving our players a chance to work on an online game that we will actually develop and publish. Our community really loves these games and knows what it takes to make a hit. And it will be a dream come true for one lucky star that shines the most throughout the project," says Acclaim CEO Howard Marks.

This is a first-of-its-kind project from the new Acclaim, a resurrected company with a very well known name. The new Acclaim will focus entirely on providing quality multiplayer online games for free. The games will be supported with a mix of advertising and virtual item stores. Acclaim has already partnered with IGA Worldwide to provide in-game advertising for its other online game titles.

The entry period will be limited, and so will the number of people allowed in to see the project, so sign up now to become a team member on Top Secret. To register for a free account and find out more about Top Secret, visit http://topsecret.acclaim.com.

About Acclaim Games?

Based in Beverly Hills California, Acclaim Games is a revolutionary new company with a familiar name. In 2005 the cofounder of Activision, Howard Marks, purchased the company confident that the Acclaim name would surpass its former glory as one of America's marquee brands. Today, Acclaim Games offers only the finest online games with a focus on accessibility, playability and most importantly fun. To learn more please visit www.acclaim.com.

About David Perry

David Perry is a 20+ year video game industry veteran. He is the Chief Creative Officer for Acclaim Games and also CEO of GAMECONSULTANTS.COM, and prior to that was the founder of Shiny Entertainment, Inc. For more information, please visit: www.dperry.com & www.gameconsultants.com

If anyone is interested, here's the site: http://topsecret.acclaim.com/index.htm

This will be interesting, but I have a strong feeling that it's going to turn into some B-grade MMO since game design for an MMO is tough as hell because there are so many factors you have to consider. It would be interesting if it did turn out to be a good MMO though...

Sounds like a pretty good opportunity for an MMO that is made by the gamer, for the gamer.

HOLY MMO BATMAN!

I am all for this. I really do want to make an effort to be a part of this project. I am all for pushing a PVP directed game. Perhaps a game like planetside with more RPG elements and less spray and pray.

Woah woah woah wait, back up. Didn't Acclaim go bankrupt a year ago or something?

Anyway, this sounds like a great idea.

Isn't Acclaim famous for pulling this kind of thing? Like getting people to name their kid Turok?

I really will like to enter that but I cant

and it can be any tipe of game of a mmorpg?

I think it's annoying when people assume that games will be good if they are made by the gamers. Who the hell do you think developers are? Oh, yes, they're Neanderthals that strive at pissing people off.

I really will like to enter that but I cant

and it can be any tipe of game of a mmorpg?

Doesn't even have to be an MMORPG... Just has to be any type of MMO. As the guy in "charge" of it you get to decide.

I think it's annoying when people assume that games will be good if they are made by the gamers. Who the hell do you think developers are? Oh, yes, they're Neanderthals that strive at pissing people off.

Agreed. But it does sound interesting.

I bet atleast 50% of the ideas will be whit sword and sorcery tipe of game in a very generic style and will copy a lot the most famous one

screw mystical magical crap for MMO's

we need something new.

Isn't Acclaim famous for pulling this kind of thing? Like getting people to name their kid Turok?

ahaha I remember that.
This is coll Idea,I wonder if they mean making up the story or the whole game play for the game though :0

it will be shown on tv or what?

No, it gets made produce.

It's true that Acclaim hasn't made good MMO's, but maybe yours could be the start.

It's also better that you at least get your MMO idea made rather than having it sit and rot in your head and probably never get made. Something is always better than nothing.

the only thing good that mystical magical MMO's provide (for me anyways) is the really nice environments...other than that they;re getting kind of old and repetitive.

I agree.

For example, the environments in Vanguard are amazing. They're full, lush and colorful with always something to look at. Sometimes when I come over a hill and see an absolutely breathtaking view, I'll take a second to look at it all.

Age of Conan, on the other hand, seems more like the MMO for me. Granted it's similar to all MMOs, it's changing just enough to make an MMO worth playing hour on end.

The only thing I'd want is an almost completely open-ended MMO, but part of me think that's impossible.

Needs more Planetside clones.

Well, not clones. Like... some sort of RTS/FPS MMO Combination.

No, it gets made produce.

It's true that Acclaim hasn't made good MMO's, but maybe yours could be the start.

It's also better that you at least get your MMO idea made rather than having it sit and rot in your head and probably never get made. Something is always better than nothing.

well sure that stuff is only in the usa

but I have a quick idea when reading this

first it have to not being set in a fantasy world

my idea is something like a cyber punk game,set in a huge metropolis like new york or honk kong or one of those urban jungles but in like a chaos state

to bring team gameplay the game will be about something like gangs where you can join or go like a lone wolf if you want
but the point of the gang is the control of the city,while more control your gang hav you hav acces to better stufs

to make that one gang to not hav control of the whole territory,a sistem will be made to make that the bigger a gang territory is the harder is to control,cuz you will have to balance the "defenses" in the territoryand you couldnt cover all the place,also a menber of the gang can start a revolt

but the gangs dont hav to be all territory based,a gang can go nomad like some pirates or something attacking others gangs

gangs will be like the guilds in wow,I dont know how exactly guilds works but the idea is close to that
there will be npc controlled gangs that will be like the races in wow and will bring control in the game so the gangs dont get unbalanced

but if you dont want to be in gangs you can go alone wich hav advantages and disadvantages,for exmaple you will hav total freedom but being in a gang will make easier for you to get better equipment but you will hav some limitation,but going alone will make some stuff harder but you will hav total freedom
some limits and advantages that will have
in a gang
advantages:you will hav more easier acces to stuff since gangs will hav like a group inventory and other stuff like that that will make that everyone can get better equipment,more help cuz every menber will hav to help another one or is considered traitor and is out,control in some territory,I havent made that yet but the point is that you could do stuff in your territory that cant do alone,that some few

disadvantages:less freedom cuz there will be limits and stuff like that,you couldnt have acces of certain stuffs for gang limits,the lost of a territory will be bad

solo
advantages:total freedom,you can manage you the way you want,dont hav to obey orders

disadvantages:harder to get stuff,less help unles you hav some friend over there,some other tipical solo disadvantages

and to not make the post longer some few stuff

the gameplay will be a bit rpg like but no so much,it will be more like a massive unreal tournament combined whit team fortres or a team gameplay game like that whit a bit of rpg

the the theme will hav to be crazy,like aliens whit robots and dragons,something crazy

if I could imaginate it I imaginate something like players flying around in flyers bikes attacking another gang in the grounds or buildings or a solo player infiltrating in a gang territory stealing stuff while escaping of the others gang menbers

thats what I have thought maybe will post some few more

Needs more Planetside clones.

Well, not clones. Like... some sort of RTS/FPS MMO Combination.

QFT That's what I was thinking.

Only planetside needed more RPG factor to it. Take the WOW talent system and add something similar to Planetside. Screw classes make it all based off of your advancement kind of like SWG had and each time you "level up" you gain a new talent point.

I would also want faster paced action. Planetside was too much spray and pray and didn't involve much FPS skill. Make players move faster and make weapons more accurate so that it takes skill to actually play.

Allow players to join squads where they get benefits for sticking together. Perhaps there can be a tree that focuses on squad buffs such as better accuracy, frenzy effects, upgraded speed, temporary shields and such.

Hmm, I am gonna stop there before I give too many of my ideas away. I could design one hell of a competetive style FPS MMO.

Problem was system coding. You need a big powerful system and everybody needs really good internet servers if you're going to have 300+ people on a single map duking it out with pin-point precision shots.

Problem was system coding. You need a big powerful system and everybody needs really good internet servers if you're going to have 300+ people on a single map duking it out with pin-point precision shots.

Are you talking to me? In any case systems have improved greatly. You only need good enough graphics to lure people in. I would rather go with graphics more like WOW where they look good and don't require an insane computer to play. "photorealistic" graphics demand too much and never deliver and in the end deduct from your experience unless you have the latest computer.

If you go with simpler graphics that still look good and professional then it takes less to run and you can allow for more players in the same area and plan for more epic battles.

Are you talking to me? In any case systems have improved greatly. You only need good enough graphics to lure people in. I would rather go with graphics more like WOW where they look good and don't require an insane computer to play. "photorealistic" graphics demand too much and never deliver and in the end deduct from your experience unless you have the latest computer.

If you go with simpler graphics that still look good and professional then it takes less to run and you can allow for more players in the same area and plan for more epic battles.
Actually, graphical intensity and network load are two functionally separate entities, and the network load is what causes lag.

Example: WoW and Vanguard use very similar amounts of bandwidth (somewhere on the order of 2-8kbps if I'm not mistaken, similar to any other online game), even though both are at opposite ends of the graphical-prowess scale. Even CS 1.6 and CS Source use almost identical bandwidth per second, and they are worlds apart in graphics.

Think of it like this: We have a game where two players pick up and throw boxes at each other, where there are only two boxes in the map. You have a cutting-edge system, and I'm running on a P3 system with 256MB of RAM. This game allows us to scale the details so that I'm displaying nothing but flat-shaded polygons, but you can enable all the special effects, so your box has dozens of fancy effects applied to it like HDR, parallax mapping, etc.

But between the two of us, the core game information stays the same - we only need to keep track of where the boxes and players are, how fast they're moving in any given direction, and whether any of them are going to hit each other. So while your box might be using up 80% of your CPU cycles and straining your video card, and my box barely even registers on my CPU stress monitor, we're both sending and receiving the same amount of information.

ANYWAY, I'm getting off track. My point is this: Networking hasn't advanced as quickly as rendering power, so while games look shit-tons better than they did five years ago, we simply don't have the networking infrastructure to allow for 256-player FPS servers or what have you.

I said nothing about graphics. I was refering to the calculations etc. for players who are firing rifles, reckets, bullets blah blah blah... Think of Planetside. Generally, about 100+ people in a combat zone (more if the damn VS and the NC gang up on us poor TR... although they're fighting each other, too, suckers...) firing rockets, shotguns, flying Wasps and Mosquitoes, Vanguard etc... now imagine the calculations needed to figure all that stuff out. Now add the accuracy and fastness of players to that mix, modify existing game elements accordingly, and figure out how insane your ping is going to be.

ESPECIALLY if you're going to have your servers on the ****ing West Coast, and Sony Online Entertainment (or what have you) doesn't put freaking servers in the Asia-Pacific Region. BASTARDS! :D

No, but seriously; if weapons and speed became a mix of Tribes and CS, the lag would get you. With 200+ players on a map (world, continent, zone, whatever) then the lag will getcha. It's not about the graphics. It's about the lag. :D

Back