This guy seems to have a problem with HL2

Let him think so if he wants.
He might be right or he might be wrong.
Time will tell.

Theres always someone who wants to take the other side simply for the sake of being different. Alll the other previews were positive so I think this guy just wants to be noticed by being negative.

-Straylight

I dunno: they are certainly very very cynical and suspicious, but "The end result was the most impressive demo of E3" and "The first thing that is evident upon reflection is that Valve took an absolutely no-compromises approach to Half-Life 2" or "Half-Life 2 might just simply kill off interest in most other games. If you were offered a car that performed like a Porsche 911 Turbo, had the roominess and towing capability of an SUV and the fuel economy of a hybrid Civic, why would you want those other cars separately?"

The "evolutionary" complaint is pretty much the standard lazy excuse for an article theme when you can't think of anything else to write. Everything is evolutionary, duh. It's not like the game leaps out of the screen and pokes out your eyes or anything: it's a PC game.

The guy also obviously doesn't really know what he means by scripted. Of course Valve decided that the scientist would react to the monitor falling over: I mean, they had to record the sound file for goodness sakes! But it's not scripted in the sense that it's a non-interactive cinematic: instead it's just a tiny piece of extra interactivity and the game's reaction to the player's actions. That's a GOOD thing, and this guy acts as if it's somehow a bad thing. Go figure. Calling it a "bluff" is a little nutty: it's only a bluff if you're first an idiot and imagine something Valve never claimed, and then think more about it, realize you're a moron, and then blame Valve for your own stupidity.

I mean, this guy sounds like those 9 year olds who come on these boards asking if HalfLife2 will be able to do their laundry for them. The ability of a scientist to recognize and respond to you knocking over a monitor is fantastic whether it only works for that monitor or for anything.

Geezus!! What's his beef with HL2??? IF HL2 sets a new standard, then so be it. It doesn't mean other games will not be good....

Dumb Bastardo!

i remember reading that article, and the guy does have some valid points. we'll see if he's right, and even if he is, it doesn't mean anything about half life 2's quality as a game.

My opinion is - get our crowbars out and smash that guy. Where does he live?!?

The game will include other evolutionary improvements, like an advanced physics engine. It would be revolutionary if Half-Life 2 was the first attempt at this, but as the disastrous Trespasser and Devastation demonstrate, HL2 is rather late to the party.
It will also be revolutionary if it's the first game to get an advanced physics engine to work well.

God I hate stupid people :borg:

Haha and lets make tony the BIG BOSS..well you know he is italian and stuff

Edit:

Omfg wtf is he saying??

"Technically, Valve could have scripted every single event in the demo and we’d be none the wiser. However, we’re going to proceed on the assumption that much of what we saw was a collection of recorded demo events in the fashion of Quake demos, not a line-by-line script. In this case we expect that of course the events shown were set up but representative of actual gameplay"

I wish i could smack him and make him sorry :dork:

i have to say that that guy is fairly silly.

*UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE MILLANIUM*

I just hope valve do keep the quality that high cos if they dont, that crowbars goin sumplace else!:cheese:

wow, that's what i get for not reading the article again...the first time i read it, i hadn't seen the videos yet...reading it the second time, he comes off as crass and uninformed.

Id like to use the manipulator and keep on smashing his head against the wall. I would be deeply satisfied.

I'd contact Valve and tell them to track him down and whenever he goes out to but HL2, Valve swaps the game with the most early build of the game so he thinks hes won, while we all stare at him and laugh with our finished copy of the game! :D

Do you think his eye balls are under the weight limit of the malipulater gun?,

Ne other types of balls that might work, neone got ne ideas, maybe, purhaps?

Or I would let a headcrab mutiliate him till he's half human half zombie, kill the headcrab and use him as my slave, Harhar

There's nothing much wrong with the article. He simply does what a lot of movie/book/music reviewers do when something is over-hyped: deflate it with a cynical review. None of us have actually played the game either, so we're understandably a bit swept up in anticipation of it. Clearly what we've seen blows anything else away, and as loyal HL1 fans we assume that the game will be every bit as good as the original was at the time.

His points about whether Gordon knocking over the computer was scripted, etc. were actually interesting. We've had this discussion a million times, everything is scripted to some extent, but the trick is not to let the player see behind the curtain. I'm betting that more often than not, we won't know what's scripted and what's "game-intelligence" any more than we do from the videos. That, in the end, is all that matters.

djkanuk - that is more or less my opinion but i really cudent be bothered to type it all out ;). Thanks man. :)

Yeh i think we are very very excited, purhaps more than we should be in some cases. But i know that just becuase its scripted and not AI it definatly doesent mean that it wont be any less fun to play. Its really that simple. honestly. lol

Originally posted by Apos
I dunno: they are certainly very very cynical and suspicious, but "The end result was the most impressive demo of E3" and "The first thing that is evident upon reflection is that Valve took an absolutely no-compromises approach to Half-Life 2" or "Half-Life 2 might just simply kill off interest in most other games. If you were offered a car that performed like a Porsche 911 Turbo, had the roominess and towing capability of an SUV and the fuel economy of a hybrid Civic, why would you want those other cars separately?"

The "evolutionary" complaint is pretty much the standard lazy excuse for an article theme when you can't think of anything else to write. Everything is evolutionary, duh. It's not like the game leaps out of the screen and pokes out your eyes or anything: it's a PC game.

The guy also obviously doesn't really know what he means by scripted. Of course Valve decided that the scientist would react to the monitor falling over: I mean, they had to record the sound file for goodness sakes! But it's not scripted in the sense that it's a non-interactive cinematic: instead it's just a tiny piece of extra interactivity and the game's reaction to the player's actions. That's a GOOD thing, and this guy acts as if it's somehow a bad thing. Go figure. Calling it a "bluff" is a little nutty: it's only a bluff if you're first an idiot and imagine something Valve never claimed, and then think more about it, realize you're a moron, and then blame Valve for your own stupidity.

I mean, this guy sounds like those 9 year olds who come on these boards asking if HalfLife2 will be able to do their laundry for them. The ability of a scientist to recognize and respond to you knocking over a monitor is fantastic whether it only works for that monitor or for anything.

Thats a great post Apos. Sums that article up, (and its author), very very well.

Another interesting point the author brings up is how much time and resources it will take to make a game that's better than HL2. Valve had 5 years and what in the gaming world was basically an unlimited budget. They were only in this position because HL1 and its add-ons and mods had been so successful. It's unlikely another game company will ever be able to afford to put as much development into a game for the foreseeable future. (Well, maybe Valve will for HL3 after the buckets of $$$ they'll make on HL2). But as Gabe has said, the games industry needs competition to keep going.

I don't mind the guy being skeptical and all, but I think he really went over the line by constantly accusing Valve of lying and making things looks better then they really are. :flame:

That guy is a dumb ass. too bad he didnt leave his address for us to throw a bomb through his window on a peaceful afternoon

Good AI has managed to sneak its way into a few games, most recently Vietcong.

has he played that game? its got the most apawling AI ive ever seen yourown soldiers get stuck in trenches you can sneak up on enemies while walking infront of them its shit

Yes, Vietcong is a steaming load of carbon black, warm, mushy, poo that's loaded with "corn" .............

The CS bots in the CS 1.6beta are better than the AI in Vietcong!!

Yeah, I don't understand this guy. Vietcong's AI got absolutely panned by many gaming mags.

That article is what you might refer to as 'critical backlash' which, Jakub should be reminded of, can only be morally served after a game has actually been played with. Warning or no warning (of his speculative views), I think he could have showed a little less cynicism for a game he has had as much experience with as we have: none.

This 'Jakub' stinks of blatant prejudice and small mindedness, poor man. ;(

Okay, I'm well aware that (God forbid) Half-Life² 'could' fail. But, unlike this Jakub character, I'm open minded: his inflated malicious conjecture feels like a strong attack on the people (us) who are optimistic about Valve's new game.

BTW, hello everyone. :)

The funny part is that they gave it award "Best of e3". What the hell? So, if he bashes HL2 so hard, but says that it is best of e3, then what about other games? They all suck or something?

Just read comment #59. I have to disagree with most of it.

I believe that much of what we saw were scripted
events. For example, the strider vs the bridge
looked scripted. I believe that the bridge was
designed to half explode, and the strider was
scripted to walk under it.

They said to the gamespy previewers that this was AI and not scripted.

I believe the men at the door and windows were
unscripted... or, more precisely, that they were
programmed with scripted responses that they use
in appropriate situations, just like the 'drop a
nade and run away' script that the original Half
Life had.

Thats alls that AI is. A complex mixture of decision making based on rules or "scripted responses" that they use in appropriate situations.

Heavy Container knocked over with grenade:
Scripted

Well fkin duh, its set up not scripted.

The Citadel: Scripted. It will not 'move' while
the player is there, just make some crunchy noises
and perhaps eat a couple scripted walls. I don't
think we'll see a level where the player is
retreating in front of an advancing citadel that's
eating through the city.

Did anyone ever say the Citadel was controlled by AI? I never thought it was for a minute.

I cant wait for this game to come out so we will all finally know for sure whats what.

His article smacks of conspiracy theory. Just another bitter gaming journalist.

The problem with the article, as some of you have pointed out, is that the line is too blurred between 'AI' and 'scripted sequences.'

When you look at it technically, everything in a game is scripted.....the question is how seamlessly the developers make it blend in. And from what we have seen, HL2 looks amazing.

I havent read the article but from what everyone is saying it sounds like this guy is just as informed as most people but has decided to take a more reserved aproach. Rather than just get wowed by all the hype. Although it seems that he does have confusion with regards to the scripted sequences etc.

I read another article on the same website exalting the scripted sequences in Doom 3 and nobody seemed to complain. Hmmmm.

Also, the guy could have talked about actual, well-known problems we saw in the video if he really wanted to criticize it. But no, instead he says that it's not going to be half as good as the video and that somehow Valve tricked them by showing a pre-recorded demo.

This only makes his preview look like a parody of all the other HL2 previews out there.

I say we all get red crowbars and beat the shit out of him.

Back