This makes no sense...

sam6321

Reaction score
Ok ok I have a Laptop with a 8400M GS chipset with OC to 800mhz core and 500mhz mem clocks and 512mb mem.
Now on the GPU front thats not really that good and yet it somehow runs L4D with these settings.
snapshot0000.jpg

I get 40fps MINIMUM.
HOW THE F**K can I get this with this GPU?
I'm starting to get scared...

Oh BTW great forum :D

thats what I thought >.<
Maybe its forceware drivers?
heh I dunno

Haha, hey Sam (I know this guy). I honestly don't know why you made this thread and even then, why it is so. Welcome to HL2.net anyway.

lol makes me think I am a real noob.
Well I just wanted to know because I don;t get this effect with any other game BESIDE l4d.

Probably some budget crappy i7 or something.

Welcome to Halflife2.net by the way, it's safer here.

I'm not surprised. My laptop's 6800go played TF2 at mostly high settings with no trouble.

how on earth did you get a mobile chipset up to 800mhz core??? also check your driver settings to make sure its not locked at something.

my friend has the same card in his laptop and it cant get that speed.

Ok well in answering a few questions I have an intel dual core 2.7 ghz (not sure of the model).

And I used rivatuner to get my core clock to 800mhz, just slid the slider up and it stays at about 85 degrees.
I've also been looking at other GPUs around, and it seems none of them have that kind of core clock.
But the real thing I was wondering was how I got AA up to 16x, because my friend has a 4870 X2 and he can only get 8x.

No I am not that friend (I wish).

As other people have said, Source games are really easy on the requirements. Left 4 Dead is a bit of an exception though any modern computer will absolutely plough through it.

Hmm I still don't get how I can get it running so well.
I mean you put it all up to max on your 4850 and see if you get 40fps >.<

Ok well in answering a few questions I have an intel dual core 2.7 ghz (not sure of the model).

And I used rivatuner to get my core clock to 800mhz, just slid the slider up and it stays at about 85 degrees.

ah, thats why, you have a really good cpu in your laptop. source games run well with a beefy cpu. though i would highly highly recommend you drop the slider down on the core. that is way to hot, you really dont want to ruin your card.....well unless you want your laptop to become a brick.

Oh so my CPU counts too?
I though that only did Physics...
And is 85 deg really too hot? because I can get it to stay at 75 with an ice pack :D

Hmm I still don't get how I can get it running so well.
I mean you put it all up to max on your 4850 and see if you get 40fps >.<

I have a 4850 and i can max it and my FPS rarely goes below 120.
But i think you are stressing you GPU far to much, 85c is far to hot especially on a laptop.

Oh so my CPU counts too?
I though that only did Physics...
And is 85 deg really too hot? because I can get it to stay at 75 with an ice pack :D

it depends how the game is coded. source depends more on cpu then gpu.

Back