This may sound crazy...

Well you kind of went off on a tangent there. I don't like any sitcoms or dramas on television, so I agree, but I don't see your point really.

Number of times I've mentioned 'highbrow comedy' or 'cheap gags': 0

I don't dislike Family Guy because it's absurd or over the top, I dislike it because it's not funny. Oh haha, making unfunny mockery of celebrities no one cares about. Oh haha, 80's and 90's popculture references that all the teens will pretend they understand. Oh haha, random pointless cutaways to a corny country musician that last for three minutes. Oh haha, Stewie is gay now for some reason. If anything Family Guy manages to be funny only when it goes into the ridiculous character gags. Stupid out of place gags and references that go no where are almost the comfort zone now.

And yeah, Stephen is obnoxious. That's the entire point. He's just so in love with mocking his own character, the stupid, the exaggerated, the absurd, it's all making the point of who Stephen Colbert is, how he sees the world, and that you should laugh before you start worrying about real people who actually might think some of these things.

If Misc was still around I'd have more reason to post on these forums, like, relevant, informative things.

Rather than having to leak it off-topically into other threads.

What about Fhnargharble (sp) ? Was that some sort of failed attempt at Misc? I mean, the thread just got buried.

Yeah, but with how many responses? Surely a more organized Misc that doesn't have half of it's posts going on about how Pi's allowed to spam etc. would fare better.

I don't want a misc.

Yeah, but with how many responses? Surely a more organized Misc that doesn't have half of its posts going on about how Pi's allowed to spam etc. would fare better.

Fixed.

I wish I could tell the newbie about how much safer here it is but apparently mods are the only ones who have the authority to do so. So instead I will post this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbC5EdjFbzs

Fnargharble was Pi trying to force a meme/event and it failed to really become a misc because

A) As soon as it started to become like Misc it was locked
B) People were to focused on going 'lol fnargharble' for the first ten pages.

Edit: Mutoid, I read your post like three times before I realized you used 'fixed' just to point out a misused apostrophe. I'm not one to hate on a fellow grammar nazi but that is rickdiculous.

Well you kind of went off on a tangent there.

I don't like any sitcoms or dramas on television, so I agree, but I don't see your point really.
I guess I wasn't clear. My point was that there is almost nothing good on television. So saying that the Family Guy is terrible, when clearly it is one of the best shows on television (at least I feel some episodes redeem it as such) is totally stupid, and just makes you seem like an anti-conformist hipster.

Calling me a moron for enjoying a certain television show...

You tout The Colbert Report as being fresh and funny, not relying on "desperate gags", right? Isn't that the point of your comparison? The fact that he was being pompous, conceited and obnoxious on purpose was stupid from the very first episode, and he does it every episode.

And don't get me wrong, I do like The Colbert Report. I find it entertaining overall. Comedy Central is a powerhouse of writing talent. And it is one of the better shows on television.

So back to my tangent: there isn't a whole lot of great TV to be had (which again, was my point). So watching some ridiculous and tangent filled gag humor with a meaningless plot is something I look forward to. It's just plain retarded. "Pointless cuttaways and ridiculous character gags" is the show, it's not like it was ever different. Of course after 11 years, it's not breaking new ground anymore. And if anyone was talking to their friends about what happened on the show, that was like in 2000.

I think we can at least agree that Breaking Bad is far and away the best show on TV. Breaking Bad is a drama, by the way.

Number of times I've mentioned 'highbrow comedy' or 'cheap gags': 0
" desperate gags", then. I'm sorry for completely misinterpreting what you meant.

but I just discovered Valve in the past 6 months or so.

Anyway, I'm now obsessed and am looking to learn more about these games. Hopefully I've come to the right place...
I'm sorry for going off in your thread, Neo. Yes, you've come to the right place for all of your Valve needs.

Oh god, when did this become serious?

I guess I wasn't clear. My point was that there is almost nothing good on television. So saying that the Family Guy is terrible, when clearly it is one of the best shows on television (at least I feel some episodes redeem it as such) is totally stupid, and just makes you seem like an anti-conformist hipster.
If there is almost nothing good on television then the fact that Family Guy is one of the best shows on television doesn't really say anything, does it? I mean, it might be the shiniest piece of trash in the garbage bin, but that doesn't make it not trash. When there's nothing good to watch, I stop watching. Oh shit, I don't think one of the most popular comedies on TV is funny, I must be a raging hipster over here fighting all you average joes that know a good laugh when you see one.
Calling me a moron for enjoying a certain television show...
The fact that you took that sentence seriously should be proof enough your sense of humor is a little lacking.
You tout The Colbert Report as being fresh and funny, not relying on "desperate gags", right? Isn't that the point of your comparison? The fact that he was being pompous, conceited and obnoxious on purpose was stupid from the very first episode, and he does it every episode.
Oh shit, Stephen Colbert acts like Stephen Colbert in every episode? And I'm not sure what you mean by stupid (perhaps I'm using it as a generic insult too much and you're using that against me), it's exaggerated, it's comical, it's ridiculous. Perhaps those things automatically equal stupid to you, but if so, stupid is really no longer insulting.
So back to my tangent: there isn't a whole lot of great TV to be had (which again, was my point). So watching some ridiculous and tangent filled gag humor with a meaningless plot is something I look forward to. It's just plain retarded. "Pointless cuttaways and ridiculous character gags" is the show, it's not like it was ever different. Of course after 11 years, it's not breaking new ground anymore. And if anyone was talking to their friends about what happened on the show, that was like in 2000.
I don't have a problem with the basic idea of Family Guy, none at all (I still laugh my ass off at some of the earliest episodes). Taking a standard family sitcom, inserting the ridiculous and out of place and throwing your expectations out the window, that's good. And there's still a lot of that good stuff (Stewie beating the shit out of Brian for $50, slowly rotating black man), but now they've taken that success of that formula early and used it as license to do whatever they think they can get away with and keep their "If it's silly enough it must be good" audience. Remember when Peter has Jesus go confront George Bush in public or when Stewie talks like a girl for forty minutes? WHEN ARE WE SUPPOSED TO LAUGH? I dunno, you can like it if you want. It's just gotten so bad to me, I find it physically uncomfortable to sit through those jokes.
I think we can at least agree that Breaking Bad is far and away the best show on TV. Breaking Bad is a drama, by the way.
Season's over bro.
"desperate gags", then. I'm sorry for completely misinterpreting what you meant.
I don't think I've ever seen a truly desperate gag on the Colbert Report. Usually desperate and funny are inversely proportional.

Sheepo, Virus, stick it to PMs and leave this guy's newbie thread alone.

Back on topic etc.

Aren't you guys just discussing pure opinion at this point? Is there really a need for this?

I THOUGHT WE WERE A HAPPY FAMILY GUYS

GEEZ

/irony

hey
Don't drink the water... they put something in it to make you forget.
Herp derp.

HL2.net discussions are almost always based on pure opinion and there isn't really a need for it. How hard is that to understand?

Back