Those of you who like to scream "HALF-LIFE 3" every five minutes may like this, I doubt it's related

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.pcper.com/news/Editorial/NVIDIA-continues-tease-sends-us-crowbar

Remember when NVIDIA updated their Facebook page with "It's Coming..." and a picture that you had little chance of learning its origin? Well the marketing team is at again, this time sending over a crowbar. No, seriously.

DRdvv.jpg

"For Use in Case of Zombies Or...<NVIDIA LOGO>". So either something BIG is coming later that I am going to need to open with said crowbar or maybe NVIDIA is partnering with Valve to announce Half-Life 3. That second guess is just wishful thinking, sorry.

But I do wonder what nVidia are trying to generate so my hype over? Is it something as mundane as their next graphics card or something actually revolutionary? I doubt we'll be seeing any great leaps forward until the next console generation catches up to current PCs, but what the hell do I know about the PC hardware industry?

At 7:30PM April 28th (PDT), NVIDIA will be making a special announcement at GeForce LAN / NVIDIA Gaming Festival (NGF) 2012 in Shanghai, China.
Tune in to GeForce.com for live stream coverage of the event.
NGF is one of the largest PC gaming events in the world with over 6,000 local and 500,000 online attendees. Top pro gamers will compete in StarCraft 2, League of Legends, and DOTA tournaments for $40,000 in cash and prizes.
from here
To be announced at a Chinese event about strategy games? No way it's going to be HL3.

That and it doesn't resemble the Half-Life crowbar at all, so if that's what they were going for they did a pretty poor job of it.

Then again, they might have intended this for some free auxiliary internet hype, considering we'll jump on anything even vaguely Half-Life related. So... thanks on behalf of Nvidia!

At this point people probably think that a crowbar is a generic weapon to be used against Zombies, not even knowing its origin.

The twig thread was more indicative of an imminent Half-Life announcement. Lambda twigs don't just fall from trees.

You know what would be cool? If Valve had developed an API competitor for DirectX that was gonna be integrated into Nvidia's chips and drivers alongside the Linux push of Steam.. ..eh.. never mind, just a crazy thought that seemed stupider as I typed it.

You know what would be cool? If Valve had developed an API competitor for DirectX that was gonna be integrated into Nvidia's chips and drivers alongside the Linux push of Steam.. ..eh.. never mind, just a crazy thought that seemed stupider as I typed it.

No, this is a ****ing great idea.

Just in case people were still wondering. It turned out to be the unveiling of the GeForce 690 (a 680 with a fancy cooling system) and an online cloud tool that lets you connect to a central database and automatically tune your PC games with settings that best fit your specific hardware setup.

EDIT - Just to correct myself. The 690 is actually a duel GPU version of the 680... with fancy cooling.. and some green lights.. oh and a $1000 price tag!

Back