To those who now played the both of them

A.I.

Reaction score
Just another HL2vsH2 thread. But from now on, based on facts and not speculation.

WARNING: This thread is meant only for those who already experienced both of the games. Don't wanna this thread get shot down in :flames:

Would be good if you actually did some comparing, because this thread is just asking for trouble :p

I can't compare, becuse I don't have both of them. Yet :D But I'm curious.

P.S. I don't have an xbox.

They're really not comparable.

Halo 2 is an entirely different type of First Person Shooter than Half Life 2.

HL2 is a more cerebral shooter with puzzles that require you to stop the running and gunning from time to time and apply some problem solving skills.

H2 is a tight and fast combat oriented shooter, where you the primary thinking comes from managing your ammunition, your allies, and judging intelligently how to assault the enemy with minimum losses.

Both are tightly focused on story, however Half-Life 2's dedication to enhancing character/player connection gives it a slight edge. Some may say that Halo 2 has a more "epic" feel, but I think that's a matter of personal opinion.

If you have ONLY 50 dollars and you need to buy one of them... well shit, I can't make that decision for you. Look at the previous games in the series and choose the sequel of the one you liked best.

In regards to Multiplay: Halo 2's MP is better than Counter-Strike: Source, hands down, no questions about it. More options, more gameplay opprotunities, better levels, everything. DOD:S might change this, but its doubtful unless DOD:S is really, REALLY good and adds some new gameplay modes that are very compelling.

This is going to end up as a flame session - just enjoy the games people, not give in to the (adolescent) need to side with what you feel is 'the best'.

Instead I think we should debate over which is the best colour! :)

Obviously it's chocolate brown.

Only the soundtrack? I dunno, the snippets I listened to in HL2 were pretty damned good. I think they're really going for two different things.

In the first Halo, the soundtrack was very ethereal and atmospheric. With Halo 2, they're going for more of a themic soundtrack, more like a movie's one. Not sure if I like that better or not, but some of the tracks are really impressive, the Mjolnir mix for instance.

Half-Life's soundtrack was this sort of warehouse electrnoica for fast paced atmosphere. Kinda creepy and such. Half-Life 2 has, so far, followed through with the style of the first one.

Not sure which I like better.

Comparing these shooters on a straight scale just isn't possible. I didn't play DooM 3 (because it's just not my particular favorite style of play), but I imagine it's similar for that too. They're just all going for vastly different experiences, and, quite frankly, doing a very good job at what they're going for.

STALKER is one game that I really want to get a chance to play, because they seem to want to blend a lot of different styles together with it, making a unique experience (Plus it looks like it's got some sweet graphics).

If you just want to compare the technical merits of the games, that's possible, definitley. I don't have the eyes or ears for really juding that myself.

It really depends. Although alot of the time I remember thinking that the flood in Halo 2 was acting more intelligent then it should, considering they're basically like zombies.

Sometimes they would run off after I injured them, or hide behind stuff and wait for me to come round. The brutes seemed rather dumb however, maybe thats intentional. The elites are rather good at strafing you from behind cover, but the combine troops in HL2 just run at you alot of the time.

But I certainly find that HL2 allied AI is far better at avoiding grenades and the characters are massively superior to halo's. They actually have personality thats evident in actual gameplay rather then cutscenes, just from their actions.

One thing I will definitely say about HL2 AI which is positive though, the combine troops are excellent at fining angles to fire at you. Unlike Halo 2's characters which tend to just either wait for you to come out of cover or fire blindly at the corner you just hid around. HL2's characters look for a line of sight to fire at you from, so even if you're behind cover you're not safe.

They're both awesome but I think I prefer HL2 by quite a wide margin, although I haven't finished it yet.

Jadewolf5675 said:
Purely on a fun factor, I enjoy HL2 MUCH more than Halo 2

Me too, although the first few levels of halo 2 were absolutely awesome (on the orbital station and earth) the game started to get less exciting after that.

Back