too short?

Carnage_333

Reaction score
did any one else find HL2 too short?

just seems the ending was a bit of a let down for me, i mean there wasnt even a boss to kill at the end. I thought it would go for at least another few chapters after the marathon HL1 took to complete.

dont get me wrong, i love the game, and im not just some random looking for something to bitch about, but it just seems to me that they cut it short a bit; maybe because of all the pressure of the release ect.

- didnt see any recent threads of the same topic.

Perfect for me. a game that is truly short is Katamiri which takes like 5 hours to beat.
BTW are you a Final Fanstasy fan?

Well it depends - some have found it too short, some have found it just right.

Personally, I'm in 11 hours into the game and I'm only at the beginning of Ravenholm (playing on hard difficulty). Maybe I just suck :p

The game was a bit too short. And the ending was rather anti-climactic. But I still think it's the best FPS ever.

The game is between 10 and 20 hours of play, so its pretty average for a PC FPS, personally I thought the length was fine, I just wish they would add more content inside of that time period, alot of the game felt really empty.

lordoftheroot said:
Perfect for me. a game that is truly short is Katamiri which takes like 5 hours to beat.
BTW are you a Final Fanstasy fan?

nah never played final fantasy.

agreed with best fps ever tho.
Maybe the hype of it all just made me think it would be a tad longer.

lack of boss at the end really sucks tho :/

I thought the game was little too short, but not so short as to ruin the game, there was lots of gameplay there. If the game had been more difficult I would have thought it longer, but as I found the game quite easy even on hard, I got through in about 16-18 hrs or so... also the ending was too easy, and the boss (if you could call it that) was too easy. All of these things made the game shorter than it really was. I am currently working on a way to increase the game's difficulty, here is the thread.

I've seen on other places about increasing the difficulty as well.

I thought the ending was great but I just wish HL2 had more puzzles like HL1.

jord said:
I've seen on other places about increasing the difficulty as well.
Please tell, as I am working on this and am currently stuck.

I thought it was perfect length. It took me about a week to beeat it on hard. :D I thought the ending was great too.

i thought h-l 2 was more about story and a little less about gameplay... It felt like a movie more than a game. Wish there were more games like this

In hl1 you were under the illusion it was long because most of the game was in the black mesa. However in hl2 you change from different themes of gameplay (sewers, airboat, ravenholm, buggy, prison, and city 17) through out the game. Those that preferred a specific theme only wished it was longer. For instance I wanted the mines to be a bit longer, but it was appropriate for the pace. I felt this game was too big, but not enough time to enjoy it all.

And let's not forget the Max Payne series, the Call of Duty series, and the Medal of Honor series - those represent the honor roll of great but VERY short games! :)

HL2 isnt too short, if anything its too long, the story progresses extremely little from start to finish, and it takes 10+ hours to beat. For me the funnest part of single player FPS's is finding out new things, specifically the plot/story/secrets etc, there wasnt very much of that in HL2, still a great game though, I'm hoping HL3 will reveal alot so we can stop the speculation.

As far as the final boss goes I look at it this way...

throughout the game I took down helicopters, swarms of combine, and striders (the largest - and coolest - enemies I've fought in a game) which gave me a sense of accomplishment as far as taking down a giant enemy goes. Considering who you are fighting at the end of the game it seems more realistic to kill him off quickly. It would have felt a little cheesy if he would have been manning a giant robot or something like that imo.

The game length didn't bother me at all either. If it were a few hours longer I wouldn't mind, but any more I'd get to anxious to finish it if anyone knows what I mean. I'll replay it a few times, play some mods, etc. When I'm bored with all that Valve will probably be releasing the ATI levels around that time.:thumbs:

Back