TWO new HL2 interviews

Is there anything that you wanted to do with Half-Life 2, but were hindered from doing so due to a particular limitation?

There was some really cool image-based rendering technology that Gary McTaggart prototyped. It would have given us some super-cool capabilities for apparently complex environments. We weren't able to get it sufficiently integrated by our September 2002 milestone for it to make it into this game.

so.. I guess we will see that in HL³ then..

How do you know they are new and not just re hashed info?

Well I just read the first one and it isn't rehashed info. It talks mainly about the editing and technical parts of HL2 while its in development.

those interviews have already been posted by other people in here and also at planethalflife, please lock or delete this topic administrator.

Tokin, please give me a link to another thread here that has these interviews posted.

indeed.. now that I have posted in your thread I want to see a good conversation about the subject

oldnews.jpg

HA! Good luck at that EVIL. But Ill give it a try.

Is there anything that you wanted to do with Half-Life 2, but were hindered from doing so due to a particular limitation?

There was some really cool image-based rendering technology that Gary McTaggart prototyped. It would have given us some super-cool capabilities for apparently complex environments. We weren't able to get it sufficiently integrated by our September 2002 milestone for it to make it into this game.

Anyone know what that could mean?

I was about to ask that when i saw that you already had.

This is probably one of the most pointless posts ever.

And what would that look like in HL2, do you have anysort of possible example of what they could use it for.

tbh
why do ppl cry when things have already been posted it don't bother me
they made a mistake so what
stop crying about it ffs!

Well I think I understand image-based rendering. Although Im not going to try to explain it.

And thanks for understanding Deacon

Originally posted by nietzsche
With today's advanced computers, models, such as buildings, contain almost as many primitives (e.g. triangles) as pixels. This has lead some developers to rethink the use of these geometric primitives in order to describe models. They came up with an approach where they use sets of images to describe three-dimensional models. But these are not just simple images, they also contain some other properties like depth information.

I hope that was short and clear enough, was it?

You mean UberPixels.

So rather than make a brick out of 50 triangles the brick is the triangle?

As far as textures go, will the limit on their resolution still be 256x256, or is it something larger?

We support 2K by 2K.

Sounds good.

Nietzche

Why triangles? Are they easier to work with in arranging complex shapes than squares?

Primitives, Neanderthals didn't write code did they?

Oh Silicon Graphics, I made some $ daytrading their stock a couple years back.

You seem pretty shmaat with this stuff, nistzch.

I think the citadel(the center of the combine) is rendered this way.

More than possible!

No...

We weren't able to get it sufficiently integrated by our September 2002 milestone for it to make it into this game.

Back