UK Defence Secretary Calls For Medal Of Honor Ban

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
Oh just ***k...right...off.

UK Defence Secretary Liam Fox has joined the growing chorus criticizing EA's forthcoming Medal of Honor, a game that takes place amidst the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan.

"It's shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban," Fox said, "At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands."

"I am disgusted and angry," Fox continued, "It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."

Medal of Honor has also come in for criticism from Fox News for its subject matter. "We've just come off of the worst month of casualties in the whole war," anchor Karen Meredith said in a recent report, "and this game is going to be released in October - so families who are burying their children are going to be seeing this, and playing this game."

While games drawing upon contemporary battles are no new thing, few have been as explicit as Medal of Honor which features multiplayer modes that draw upon the conflict and that have come in for criticism from fellow developers. "I find it quite unsettling with Medal of Honor," Codemasters' Sion Lenton, producer on Operation Flashpoint games, "I'm not sure if I want to play as the Taliban shooting American soldiers. That's a live conflict and you have to treat it with maximum respect."

EA has defended the game, telling The Sunday Times "The format of the new Medal of Honor game merely reflects the fact that every conflict has two sides."

"We give gamers the opportunity to play both sides. Most of us have been doing this since we were seven: someone plays the cop, someone must be robber. In Medal of Honor multiplayer, someone's got to be the Taliban."

Medal of Honor's producer Greg Goodrich also came to the game's defence, telling IGN, "Medal of Honor has always been historical fiction. Since it was created back in '99 it's always told the soldier's story. The war has always been a backdrop in the vein of Saving Private Ryan where it's a band of fictional characters in a historical event. There are a lot of specific battles that have been spoken about, but for this MoH we thought we'd focus on the soldier's story, the brotherhood, and the camaraderie regardless of the timeframe."

Medal of Honor is due out this October.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1115044p1.html

So why the ***k arent films banned for such things!?!?!?!

Shove off, the games industry brings in a ton of money for the government in taxes.

What the hell is wrong with the world.

The funny thing is there are countless other games that portray atrocities of war, yet they pick to ban this one specifically... :rolleyes:

"and this game is going to be released in October - so families who are burying their children are going to be seeing this, and playing this game."

Here's an idea: if you are that family, don't play this game!

Is it some sort of law of the universe that anything with "Fox" in its name is retarded? OK, not Michael J. Fox, but he's the exception to the rule.

And Fox Mulder.

Also, if its only for multiplayer, why is it so bad? I mean, you don't see people complaining that you get to play as a Nazi in Call of Duty.

"It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game.
There is no way in hell this guy is serious.

[youtube]YlMe9ai5jCA[/youtube]

"World War II is far removed from our current history and people aren't dying in World War II anymore" Makes me sick.

Well, I can understand certain sensitivities might be upset, but a ban is not the right way to go.

***king uninformed populist mong.

At least the DCMS has stated that this is very definetly not goverment policy, it's standing by its rating system and believes that consumers should be free to make the choice to buy it or not.

Boy, and I thought we had things bad in the US when it comes to dipshit politicians. Oh well, this will likely end up exactly like any and all of the GTA furor that heats up and then dissipates and turns out being pretty good for sales. :thumbs: Comments like this guy's actually make me want to buy the game more despite not really caring that much before I heard the comments. :E

All politicians are dipshits. The question is, why the **** would any self-respecting country put someone with no military background as Minister of Defense/Defence. And a politician at that.

Really? I'd rather have a MoD be a Doctor who highly values human life rather than a (former) soldier who's gone through training designed to teach the opposite.

I rather have a MoD be someone who knows the military inside-out, has no prejudices based on political ideologies, and someone who realistically values the life of his own men and countrymen rather than and idealist who thinks we should all have world peace and dance together in a circle around bonfires of burning tanks.

"People don't die in pro-wrestling.." People don't die playing computer games...

What a stupid woman. It's so boring listening to people complain about things they do not understand.

Well she was just the ''for the sake of balance'' side of the argument.

They never use people who's opinion are taken seriously, never an official analyst etc. Its always some woman who thinks the nazi's shoot lazers from their eyes etc etc. Morons basically.

But for the sake of balance, we must hear their uneducated views of rage.

The only thing that angers me the most, is that every time a video game debate is shown on TV, the games are demonised like the ***king anti-christ, and never seem to let the argument FOR games be heard properly. So as a result, parents who think their kids are addicted to games and that games are ruining their lives are shouting with agreement like the village mob, and the hatred for games goes up.

Whats the average age of a gamer? 35 or 39 or something? And if your kid is playing a game that has a big 18 on the front, thats an age restriction, thats not a violent promoting video game as such, thats called bad ***king parenting.

The fact that we cant speak out against these MPs PUBLICALLY, as in get it on the news and let a wider audience hear our side, instead of some page 20 article in the bottom left corner of some politically correct newspaper or the metro, enrages me so bloody much. I dont give a **it about the squirrel that can ski, I dont give a **it about an MP losing his position, I dont give a **it about a cat stuck up a tree, arguments like this about games are what people want to read or hear about the most, because it actually affects us and therefore we can relate.

Right, ***k it, in a typical British way, Im not going to kick and scream, Im simply going to write a bloody stiff letter.

They are trying in my town to get a dead man the Medal of Honor, don't know much about it but its front page news

The day we get a game where you fly an aeroplane into a skyscraper - that's the day they go to far.

This is no different to any other war game. Imagine how many old folk feel about WW2, yet we've had 566506450834034 games about it in just the COD series.

It's no different than Saving Private Ryan, for example.

If anything, it's good that we are remembering the wars that have taken place. If you talk to a kid today about WW2 they just look at you in a blank way. Maybe we don't allow Activision teach our children, but they should at least be aware that that shit took place.

Its not surprising though.

Some kids these days think eggs come from Tescos.

Insanity. He's talking like someone just brought out Sim Holocaust or Pedophile Ring Tycoon.

Some people may be offended by the game but then again PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO BE FOREVER FREE FROM BEING OFFENDED.

Dumb. Its okay for WWII movies and games but not this war? I know soldiers who will even be playing it.

People even IN combat IN AFGHANISTAN who will be playing the game at base! What does that say about them saying it's "so bad"

Back