Unable to change name

Reaction score
Is it just me or did the idiots at valve all of a sudden remove the ability to use the command name "whatever" in the console? I can't do it. Nothing happens. Also there's no setting in the option screen that says change your name either. What the **** is up?

Jesus, where the hell have you been? CSS went Source 2007 a while back in its achievements update, meaning that your in-game name is the same as your Steam display name like in TF2 or L4D. Not exactly "all of a sudden" at all.

You can still change it by changing your Steam display name on the Friends panel (click the little arrow next to your name at the top of the list). There is a console command that will do this too (not the old name command) but I can't remember what it is exactly. Possibly "setname"? IIRC the name change doesn't "stick" and only lasts for as long as you are ingame though.

Like it or not this is how it is now. The same thing happened in DOD:S a couple of years ago when they updated it to the Orange Box engine (Source 2007). I kind of miss the old way, mostly because I go by different names in some games than I do on forums, and I wouldn't have to put clan tags in my Steam display name, but it's a sensible change to make and I respect that.

I'm only sad about the change because my in-game name used to be Captain Bloodloss, which was epic. It's now destined to be shitty Dekstar. No one would accuse a guy called Dekstar of cheating.

I used this in TF2 to change my in-game name but not my Steam name, not sure if it works in CSS though.

setinfo name "Wolfy Snackrib sucks"

They may have removed it though, I'm not sure if it was a bug or alternative method.

Back