Underrated Games of the past couple years?

Reaction score
what in your opinion are some of the more under-rated games in the past years. Not neccessarily in terms of review scores, but in just basic acclaim/number sold/popularity/worth way. I.e. no blockbusters (halo/cod/fable/bioshock/mass effect/madden/etc)

For example I always liked the Condemned series of games. Minecraft is awesome.

Metro 2033 got a 6.9 on IGN but its one of my favorite games, etc, etc.

SO get to listing!

While I did genuinely enjoy AP, the story quality was a bit inconsistent in some places. Still, I agree with that observation.

A lot of remakes on Xbox live that are a lot of fun, e.g Gunstar Heroes, which I think you can get for a fiver over XBLA, and whose boss runs will still make you weep. I lapped up a load of those - Doom, Duke Nukem 3D etc. The only bad thing is nobody goes online with those - I had one brilliant co-op on Episode 3 of Doom but apart from that nothing. I'm not sure whether they count as past 2 years, but they're worth getting if you didn't play the originals.

One that really surprised me was Mount & Blade Warband. It had it's issues but it was a lot of fun and has a huge modding community.

Yakuza 3

It's very text heavy with 0% spoken english and I can understand why people don't want to play it for long, but I stuck through this mother****er to the end. Did as many side quests as my mind could take, side activities, the whole shebang. It's so quirky and has so much personality.

Also, the story. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGkO4-7FAYI

Little King's Story. There has never been a more underrated game than this.

Black Site Area 51. Loved that game! Bioshock 2 as well. the game was a bit different than the first but because people complained about the multiplayer they hated it. i didn't play any of the multiplayer and thought it was good. also people need to realize that just because a game has multiplayer does not mean you'll like it. yeah they tack it on in some respects but its pretty Captain Obvious if a multiplayer addition to a game will be worth your while. I could have told you that the multiplayer was going to suck even before the game came out.

Mirror's Edge. Ok, it was pretty much universally liked, but to me, 'rated' may as well mean 'imitated'. Mirror's Edge is fast looking like a modern Thief a deeply flawed masterpiece of First Person immersion that influences nobody to make a better game. Except, Thief got two sequels and when it came to taking its 2008/2009 IPs further, EA chose Dead Space, everybody's 23rd favourite Science Fiction horror franchise set on an isolated spaceship.

Underrated, or underappreciated/underplayed?

If we're talking underappreciated,

Knytt Stories
DF
ArmA
TTT
Pre-Expansion Company of Heroes
Street Fighter 3

Wanted Bob said:
Agreed. Also X3.

I remember when I accidently crashed into the side of a space station; shields went offline. They thought I attacked them so they trained every weapon on me and took less then a second to totally wipe me out.

Mirror's Edge. Ok, it was pretty much universally liked, but to me, 'rated' may as well mean 'imitated'. Mirror's Edge is fast looking like a modern Thief a deeply flawed masterpiece of First Person immersion that influences nobody to make a better game. Except, Thief got two sequels and when it came to taking its 2008/2009 IPs further, EA chose Dead Space, everybody's 23rd favourite Science Fiction horror franchise set on an isolated spaceship.

I have a feeling that Brink's "SMART" system is going to really take off, and that Brink is going to get all the credit for coming up with such an awesome movement system. Probably the main reason why I'm angry with the game, because everyones talking like its hot new shit, but Mirror's edge did it already, and from what I've seen of Brink so far, ME did it better.

I have a feeling that Brink's "SMART" system is going to really take off, and that Brink is going to get all the credit for coming up with such an awesome movement system. Probably the main reason why I'm angry with the game, because everyones talking like its hot new shit, but Mirror's edge did it already, and from what I've seen of Brink so far, ME did it better.

But guns!

You're right though. Still, I have high hopes for Brink. It looks like a fun game, especially the multiplayer.

Really? I thought critics and fans alike heralded that as not just the greatest WWII RTS ever made, but one of the best modern RTS games period.
By Pre-Expansion I mean before Opposing Fronts. Opposing Fronts ruined balance, but iirc the game's popularity peaked after it was released. Annoys me because mp was way way waaaaay better before OF. CoH's reputation as one of the best RTS's should be because of its innovations to mp RTS.

By Pre-Expansion I mean before Opposing Fronts. Opposing Fronts ruined balance, but iirc the game's popularity peaked after it was released. Annoys me because mp was way way waaaaay better before OF. CoH's reputation as one of the best RTS's should be because of its innovations to mp RTS.

Hmm, I only got into CoH when it first game out so I wouldnt know how popular it was after expansions. Still one of my favourite RTS games (alongside Warcraft 3 and Supreme Commander).

Post-Expansion Company of Heroes.

Pretty underrated, since everyone hates on it. SP was ****ing phenomenal, and MP can suck it.

Post-Expansion Company of Heroes.

Pretty underrated, since everyone hates on it. SP was ****ing phenomenal, and MP can suck it.
Are there really that many people who think like me? I don't see any of them... anywhere. Like, everyone on the gamereplays.org CoH section (where the best played) has moved on to other games, so I think I'm a very small minority.

Spiderman 2 for the PS2.

THIS.

Also the Penumbra series, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, and The Matrix Online.

Edit: Don't feel like making another post just to add.. mother****ing Psi-Ops!

Foto+Psi-Ops.jpg

I second the darkness and penumbra and would also mention deadly premonition

I haven't got very far in these but i'd mention vampire the masquerade bloodlines, amnesia the dark descent and call of cthulhu aswell

Some of the ones that come to mind for me have already been listed, such as Call of Cthulhu and Psi-Ops.

Another really underappreciated game is a title called 7.62 - High Calibre, sequel to Brigade E5, basically a much more realistic version of the Jagged Alliance series, shit-tons of customizable weapons, hiring and firing mercs, dynamic story with multiple factions to side with etc.

Back