"Unlock Token" Idea

Hunter-Killer

Reaction score
The resetting general achievement that gives you an “Unlock Token”

Vending Machine

For this system I was thinking of having an “Unlock Token” achievement. The idea I feel is pretty straight forward, this achievement would require you to reach (for example) 1000 points. These points are collected as you play the game, they are the points you get while playing a game. Once you have obtained 1000 points you achieve the “Unlock Token”. This token would give you 1 unlock for any class and you could select your unlock much like you would to change your load out. Items that you already have obtained will be highlighted (like as is) and items yet to be unlocked will be faded. The amount of tokens you have obtained would be written within the suit case.
The “Unlock Token” achievement once achieved would reset thus allowing you to start building up points for the next one. Like all achievements you could watch you progress in the top left of the screen and once achieved would have the celebration sound. If you did not wish to use your unlock at the time it would stay there and anymore you obtain would add to the total of tokens you have.

I think the random drop system should stay as it would keep it fair and fun for those who are casual TF2 gamers. I also think that the hats and items should stay random however increase the chance of drop rate, maybe make the hat/item the class you are playing and do NOT have any hats/items that are exclusive to certain players. Things like the medal could be obtained if you have completed the class specific achievements (e.g. complete all Spies achievements to unlock the camera beard) Also I think the trade system would be a nice touch once it is done. For those who are interested in the level of the weapon this could just stay random.

I’d like to think this system would work well while not annoying anyone or making it some insane grind fest. There is still the option for casual gamers to collect items while more “hardcore” gamers get rewarded for playing and playing well.

That actually sounds like a pretty decent idea to me...for someone who doesn't really play all that often, there's going to be no way I will get all of the unlocks unless I'm super lucky or go to an achievement server. Not really worried, but it just adds another way of getting the items.

Very nice idea, Hunter-Killer. I assume it will be much easier for people who play more often than others to acquire the items that they want. I'd very much like the Cloak and Dagger since I accidentally deleted the one I earned from the Spy's achievements.
Building on your great idea, perhaps certain players who get maybe... 10,000 points or 10 tokens can exchange all of those tokens for just one hat. So, they can't get a hat and another item, just one thing. Plus, if they don't like the item they picked, they can easily delete that item and get back their earned tokens.
Hopefully VALVe might implement something slightly similar to this idea, but as I said before, fantastic idea Hunter-Killer.

Back