[UPDATE] Counter-Strike and Half-Life Released On Linux And Mac

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
Valve have released their very first game on Linux and OSX for the first time. The two new versions are listed as being betas though and are not mentioned on the game's store page yet. Regardless, you should still be able to install and play the game on your Macs and Linux boxes now if you already own it on Steam. If you don't already own this classic shame on you, but it's only $9.99. Windows version of the game was also updated so that Gearbox's high definition model pack is now the default set of models used by the game.

Update: Counter-Strike 1.6 has quickly followed Half-Life and launched a beta on OSX and Linux as well. This means two of the most-played games on Steam, Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike, are now available on Linux and hopefully Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and the rest of the Source and GoldSrc games will follow suit soon.

In other news, Valve now forces you to install the High Definition pack for Half-Life. You can't disable it, and switch back to the original models.

In other news, Valve now forces you to install the High Definition pack for Half-Life. You can't disable it, or switch back to original models.
And it downloads even if you have automatic updates disabled, so back up the previous files if you have a chance.

In other news, Valve now forces you to install the High Definition pack for Half-Life. You can't disable it, or switch back to original models.

Seriously? That's bollocks. Hopefully it's a bug. I never liked the HD pack much. Made things too cartoony. I can't check things right now but see does copying this into your browser and running it remove it: steam://removeaddon/halflifehd

Actually thats not the case here, because I was able to install the Super Definition pack and the models from that actually showed up instead of the hd pack thats on steam. Valve just made the contents from the hd pack default, and still allows you to use other packs as well.

Gabe Lucas?

Well shit. I just uninstalled the High Definition pack for Half-Life after my most recent run of that brilliant game. I didn't like how they changed the model for the submachine gun so I went online and figured out how to disable it. And now George Newell (pretty much stealing Vegeta's joke here except changing it up a bit, I'm sure he won't mind) is going to shove that ugly High Definition pack down my throat after I had already puked it out? It's like eating my own vomit: DON'T WANT.

MAN! Ten years and I've really gone soft. Bottom of the leaderboards in CS.

Back