update recalled (steam)

M

MMD

The Steam news page reports that the Steam update that went out earlier today was recalled around 4:00pm PST:
We have identified a bug in the recent update which was causing Steam users to download much more content than was necessary. This was overloading the network and not allowing people to play games, so we have reverted back to the previous version for now. There will probably be some network congestion due to all this for the next couple of hours or so.

Makes me laugh, anyone else think HL2 or CS:CZ stuff was being cached too by mistake?
Any ideas?

lol, that would be sweet.. I logged on and updated, it seemed awfully laggy, and couldn't launch CS..

just noticed:

creditcard_back.tga
in
C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam\cached

was this here before the patch? I can't remember seeing it. Maybe the payment system was cached by mistake?

In some of the logs I see firearms stuff, I never have downloaded this , so why it has cached files for this.. I don't know.

Originally posted by MMD
just noticed:

creditcard_back.tga
in
C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam\cached

was this here before the patch? I can't remember seeing it. Maybe the payment system was cached by mistake?

In some of the logs I see firearms stuff, I never have downloaded this , so why it has cached files for this.. I don't know.

yes the credit card images have been there for a long time, although they should be enabling the buying over steam capability soon, seeing as CS:CZ will be available on steam on november 18th.

[edit]

did you not see the other thread about the update? also did you not notice this is the wrong forum? we have a steam users forum for a reason.

no hl2 and CS:CZ weren't trickled on accident.... wishful thinking..
jsut a bug more likely that was sneding and recieving the same information which was un-neccisary

Ha ha, total Recall, best movie ever
the election was better

hehe "Total Recall" was the headline in the Seattle Times when Arnie won...

This isn't OT! O_O

I hate the scene where he is in the Mars atmosphere and his head is going to explode. Geez its ugly.

I likez0rz teh scene wehre macbeth says no man born of a woman shall harm me </sarcasm>
you ppl get offtopic very easily.
spam .. maybe .... hmmm :rolleyes:

I guess they recalled the update from yesterday... I started steam today and it showed most of my games as needing to be installed, so I closed steam and reopened it and one of the games became installed, so I did it again (closed and reopend) each time another game was "activated" or changed from the green status. And now steam is trying to update my CS and TFC and as far as I know any other game I try to play. Right now its updating CS and it says it will be done in 278 minutes. CS worked just fine yesterday :/ Is there any way I can get around this "updating" that doesn't seem necessary.

my Steam has been updating all day.. late last nite Steam popped up a screen that asked if i wanted to install NS and so i chose to do that..

then it started updating.. i went to bed and i guess my brother turned off the comp..

hence the updating all day.

Same here. Finished updating DoD, tried getting into a game, stuck at "Verifying Resources", so I close DoD and it's updating DoD still in "Monitor" 20 minutes later.

Hell 20 minutes is good. I should have let it update CS when it said 278 minutes. Because now it is saying it will take over 700 minutes. :/

u better not close it now .. next time is going to take 700 DAYS!!!!!!!11111

Just uninstalled deleted reg keys and reinstalled, only a less than a minute Steam update and a 20 minute update for DoD. Much much quicker and it actually works.

I suggest you do the same.

Back