[UPDATED 3] Staff Departures From Valve

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Last year saw Valve take strides into hardware development by hiring an array of talent with electrical engineering backgrounds. A big name in that team was Jeri Ellsworth who today has revealed she's been fired.

Only a few days ago at DICE 2013 we heard Gabe reiterating Valve's desire to innovate in this space. He sees the PC as being cutting edge in most facets with exception to hardware input where it lags behind consoles. The hardware team at Valve have been assembled to drive innovation for the industry, but not necessarily to ship a product of their own.

As such, Jeri's departure comes as a surprise, especially given her talents in the field of electrical engineering. We don't know the reason behind her leaving however we've also learned a colleague of hers, Ed Owen has also left Valve. Potentially this could mean Valve's hardware focus is taking more of a backseat going forward or progress has been slow and a couple of new faces are needed to give the project a shot in the arm.

We wish the best of luck to Jeri in her future projects.

UPDATE:

We've also learned today that Bay Raitt, a long term modeler & animator at Valve has also left the company. His most recent major contribution being the Source Filmmaker. In a leaving message on Facebook, Bay says:

Well, after 9 years of helping build the SourceFilmmaker, working on animated short films, games, comics, characters and hats for Valve's franchises, it's time for me to start making some new worlds of my own.

End of an era for me, but what a ride.

UPDATE 2:
Gabe himself has released a statement to Engadget discussing the layoffs. While he refused to give any specifics or personal details regarding Ellsworth or Raitt, he did mention that there has been no change in priorities or cancellations of projects.

"We don't usually talk about personnel matters for a number of reasons. There seems to be an unusual amount of speculation about some recent changes here, so I thought I'd take the unusual step of addressing them. No, we aren't canceling any projects. No, we aren't changing any priorities or projects we've been discussing. No, this isn't about Steam or Linux or hardware or [insert game name here]. We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here."
UPDATE 3:
We can so far confirm that 19 24 individuals have left Valve in the past week, all of which are listed below.​
  • Babi Velho - Portuguese Representative
  • Bay Raitt - Artist, SFM Developer
  • Brian Decker - Customer Support
  • Ed Owen - Hardware Product Developer
  • Elan Ruskin - Programmer
  • Greg Towner - Animator
  • Frank Crockett - Technical Writer
  • Jeri Ellsworth - Electrical Engineer
  • Joe Han - Animator
  • Joel Shoop - UI, UX Designer
  • Keith Huggins - Animator
  • Leslie Redd - Director of Educational Programs
  • Marc Nagel - Test Lead, IT Developer
  • Matthew Russell - Animation, Designer
  • Micah Gregorio - Technical Support
  • Michael Caldwell - Designer
  • Mike Durand - Software Engineer
  • Moby Francke - Artist, Art Director
  • Noel McGinn - Animator
  • Olivier Nallet - Software Developer
  • Realm Lovejoy - Artist
  • Roger Lundeen - Architect, Environment Artist
  • Tanio Klyce - Engineer
  • Tom Leonard - Senior Game Designer

Perhaps she didn't fit into Valve's management style very well. He did say in the Texas presentation that to maintain it they have to be very aggressive with firing people. Good luck to her anyway.

Perhaps she didn't fit into Valve's management style very well. He did say in the Texas presentation that to maintain it they have to be very aggressive with hiring people. Good luck to her anyway.
*firing people. I had to do a double take when he said that in his talk.

Yeah I meant to say firing. I also rewound the talk the first time I heard it, assuming he had actually said hiring and I misheard.

Sounds like rumour mongering to me. I'd like something more solid on what Gamasutra are saying before I even start to comment on any implications.

They fired the lead programer of steam box it seems very real to fire all hardware team with no leader, theres no team.

They didn't fire the whole hardware team as there isn't just one single hardware project being developed.

Still sucks though. Can't imagine almost any of the people let go being without work for long. Best of luck to everyone.

Just updated the post to include the 13 confirmed departures so far.

There is, RJMC. And there's trouble at Valve Hardware too.

Back